Reload this Page >

US Travel daily getaways 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Travel daily getaways 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 3:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I usually use hotel hustle to compare... https://wandr.me/hotel-tools/hotel-hustle/

I would never buy points to cover a hotel stay. But to each their own.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I usually use hotel hustle to compare... https://wandr.me/hotel-tools/hotel-hustle/

You really don't like quoting while responding?

I am familiar with sbm12's tool linked above, slow as the tool can be at times. Can you right now get a meaningful search result done for Stockholm for tonight's stay? But why would you never buy points if the purchase and redemption helps reduce the cost of a hotel stay? I thought people most often would rather prefer to save money than to waste money when seeking to acquire any given good/service.

The Choice points I buy and use for Nordic Choice hotels have been earning me points and credit toward elite status -- in the case of elite status, they count toward status in two programs at once even as elite status is only meaningful in the case of one of those two programs.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 16, 2019 at 4:18 am
Old May 16, 2019, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You really don't like quoting while responding?

I am familiar with sbm12's tool linked above, slow as the tool can be at times. Can you right now get a meaningful search result done for Stockholm for tonight's stay? But why would you never buy points if the purchase and redemption helps reduce the cost of a hotel stay? I thought people most often would rather prefer to save money than to waste money when seeking to acquire any given good/service.

The Choice points I buy and use for Nordic Choice hotels have been earning me points and credit toward elite status -- in the case of elite status, they count toward status in two programs at once even as elite status is only meaningful in the case of one of those two programs.
I'd like to PM you to share some related info but flyertalk says your private message storage is full. Clear out your old messages and send me a PM ^
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I used to buy the max each year of SPG points.

It was a pretty low annual cap, but it was basically like getting a few 50% off hotel stays.

This is back when you could easily net 5-6 cents per Starpoint, even using conservative assumptions about rates for comparable hotels (including non-Starwood choices). I had a fast earn/burn pattern with Starwood so it was a very low-risk buy that I could always monetize within the year of purchase.

I do not do the same with Marriott or Hilton points. My earn/burn cycles are longer with those and I don't like the idea of buying points and holding them for long, exposed to devaluations. If I do a small buy once in a while, it's purely to top off an award I'm redeeming right then.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:09 am

Thinking about buying 7 avis $30 per day rental. Does anyone know if I could use this for a week stay in hawaii? I see nothing about restrictions being used in Hawaii, BUT I want to make sure I can use it for a week.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by brabb12
Thinking about buying 7 avis $30 per day rental. Does anyone know if I could use this for a week stay in hawaii? I see nothing about restrictions being used in Hawaii, BUT I want to make sure I can use it for a week.
You can use them as long as they do not fall within the black out dates. Worst case you can make two separate reservations for 4 and 3 days each.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
I was able to snag 3 Avis days. I got in right way for 1 but then realized I needed three. All were on hold but I kept refreshing and was able to get my 3.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you not buy point if it's cheaper than the cash price?

I regularly redeem Hyatt pts at 3-4c. This makes me feel pretty good about buying them at 1.7c every year. I'll feel even better if I can get one of these deals.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:53 pm

Here is the description for tomorrow: "What You Receive: A certificate in the form of an e-mail for a two (2) night stay in a Vibrant Standard Room, at one (1) of fourteen (14) luxury, uniquely local hotels."

Are Daily Getaways consumers so stupid that they do not know what the words "two," "one" and "fourteen" mean? Really fortunate that they help us out by putting the numeral in parentheses for us.

I'd hate to buy a certificate for a standard room that I could use at "fourteen" hotels only to learn that it wasn't as good as I thought it was, because I mistakenly thought that "fourteen" meant 59.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Based on prior data points, how long does it take to have those points posted once you purchase them?

I purchased Choice Privileges points yesterday and they still have not shown up.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:59 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by vincewy
Based on prior data points, how long does it take to have those points posted once you purchase them?

I purchased Choice Privileges points yesterday and they still have not shown up.
A few posts up it said it took 10 business days last year for Choice Priv points to post. I’m waiting for some I bought as well.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Bigshaker

A few posts up it said it took 10 business days last year for Choice Priv points to post. I’m waiting for some I bought as well.
They take a LONG time to post.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Why would you not buy point if it's cheaper than the cash price?

I regularly redeem Hyatt pts at 3-4c. This makes me feel pretty good about buying them at 1.7c every year. I'll feel even better if I can get one of these deals.
Yeah, Hyatt at a penny a point is a steal. This is one I'd feel comfortable buying with no specific hotel stay in mind.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Managed to snag the $325 deal today for a friend.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yeah, Hyatt at a penny a point is a steal. This is one I'd feel comfortable buying with no specific hotel stay in mind.
Historically, then chances of grabbing a Hyatt package are extremely low — the worst chances of the hotel lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.