Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any mileage programs that give you lifetime status for points earned via credit cards

Any mileage programs that give you lifetime status for points earned via credit cards

Old Jan 10, 19, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: Hertz Gold, BMI Gold, CO Plat, National EE, Avis PC,

Are there any mileage programs that give you lifetime status for points earned via credit cards? I know there used to be. I have about 3 million points between spg and chase UR. And am wondering if they will do more good with an airline.

Thank you
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Thankfully, not any more. (AA used to.)
Old Jan 11, 19, 2:15 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Thankfully, not any more. (AA used to.)
DL used to too, but it was before the FT-era.
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
I would think if anyone did this in 2019, the rest of their alliance partners would not be happy.

I reached AA LT Gold on the backs of a few Marriott Travel Packages (plus a few years of legit Plat flying). They counted *all* miles, and there were definitely people churning Citi and doing MS to get LT status. Plus "unusual" mileage partners and promos were way more common back then, creating some fun stories like Pudding Guy. But it was still mostly underground: not something done by huge numbers of people.

AA wisely cut it off before churning and MS really hit the mainstream. Now, with dozens of bloggers pimping cards through paid links all over the Internet, I'm very glad they've tightened the rules.
chipper likes this.
Old Jan 12, 19, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
I would think if anyone did this in 2019, the rest of their alliance partners would not be happy.

I reached AA LT Gold on the backs of a few Marriott Travel Packages (plus a few years of legit Plat flying). They counted *all* miles, and there were definitely people churning Citi and doing MS to get LT status. Plus "unusual" mileage partners and promos were way more common back then, creating some fun stories like Pudding Guy. But it was still mostly underground: not something done by huge numbers of people.

AA wisely cut it off before churning and MS really hit the mainstream. Now, with dozens of bloggers pimping cards through paid links all over the Internet, I'm very glad they've tightened the rules.
This reminds me of how some immigrants want the gates closed for others after they themselves get through the gates and get settled in.

I got my lifetime elite status from carriers almost exclusively from flying, but I don't really mind that lots of people got such status by heavily engaging in card-churning or even manufactured spending.
lsquare and NoviceFT like this.
Old Jan 12, 19, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
This reminds me of how some immigrants want the gates closed for others after they themselves get through the gates and get settled in.
As a 2MM BIS LT PLT on AA, with zero lifetime CC miles, I'm all for ejecting those who did it through CC spend....
Old Jan 12, 19, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
As a 2MM BIS LT PLT on AA, with zero lifetime CC miles, I'm all for ejecting those who did it through CC spend....
Not surprised as some people are fans of ejecting others on whatever basis they find fanciful at the moment.

2MM at AA from flying alone was achievable for something way closer to 1MM BIS miles or even way less at the time when your AA account went to 2MM lifetime miles.
Old Jan 13, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: Air: UA *S, WN CP | Hotels - Gold: Choice, CC, & HH; Hotels - Amb: Marriott
Marriott did through 12/31/2018. Of course, those weren't the only requirement for lifetime status (but nights could be earned with the credit card too). Now, lifetime points are meaningless with Marriott.
Old Jan 13, 19, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
But if you did a lot of that before Dec 2011, there's also people out there who want to eject you. Because AA was also the only for many years to count status bonuses and other bonuses on actual flying toward LT status. Today LT status only counts the base miles, not any bonus miles earned from our status or any promos.

And what does "through CC spend" mean? I didn't get my AA LT PLT anywhere near "mostly" from the CC spend, it just helped a whole lot. I also got it from flying (but again more from bonuses on flying that just the base miles), I also got it from transferring hotel points or earning AA miles directly at hotels, I also got it from AA shopping, I also got it from AA dining, I also got it from Bose demonstration promos . Did you do none of those (other than flights)? (I didn't get any miles from test driving cars or buying pudding, though obviously others did.)

Ie, while it's easy to harp on the few people who have gotten it near exclusively from CC spend, the vast majority of FTers I knew were simply amassing AA miles from all sources (whenever there was a choice of what miles to earn or whether to earn miles).

And what if we eject everyone who earns LI airline status purely because of work trips? I had no work trips, all the many hundreds of thousands of actual BIS miles I put it on AA were personal trips. It was only AA counting all miles from all sources (including their own bonus miles on flights) longer than any other airline that enabled me to get LT status at that one airline. I didn't get LT status without flying AA, I simply got it despite not flying AA more than I could afford to for 100% personal trips (while also working full-time in a field which had no business travel involved).

In fact, I did a handful of mileage runs at AA (to simultaneously help get annual credit plus earn lifetime credit) back then. Are you going to eject people who earned LT status doing mileags runs?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 13, 19 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 14, 19, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FindAWay View Post
Marriott did through 12/31/2018. Of course, those weren't the only requirement for lifetime status (but nights could be earned with the credit card too). Now, lifetime points are meaningless with Marriott.
Even that is sort of tenuous. You could have reached Marriott LT Plat Premier (assuming you had the required hotel nights), which kind of like a lifetime mileage program status as long as Marriott and United remain BFFs.

But general-spend on a Marriott CC is a terrible value drain, and it's kind of a moot point anyway at this point. You either have the years/nights of hotel stays with Marriott/SPG or you don't.

And all it takes is one of Marriott or United to decide to go another direction and cozy up with a different airline or hotel and the status could end. SPG and DL were together with some benefits but it wasn't true Delta elite status. AA and Hilton used to be kinda-partners but elite status in the mileage program was not involved.
Old Jan 14, 19, 6:10 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
AA was also the only for many years to count status bonuses and other bonuses on actual flying toward LT status.
Most of my AA lifetime miles came from triple-mile promotions on TWA.
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Tit
The olden days

program between AA and bank direct was very lucrative, that and cc miles are how I achieved LT plat on AA, did very little flying
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
In answer to OP question, no, you can't anymore.