FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   FFP programmes that allow upgrades from cheapest Y (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1933672-ffp-programmes-allow-upgrades-cheapest-y.html)

Sam Bee Oct 3, 2018 4:01 am

FFP programmes that allow upgrades from cheapest Y

I hope this is the right place to post this :)

So I have a work trip that allows me flexibility of airlines - and I even have flexibility of routing, but will need to be into SIN and out of DPS from the UK. But it would be in Y, at their cheapest fare buckets.

I have a big stack of AMEX MR ready to convert to programmes (I normally use AVIOS, but holding back converting for fear of impending devaluation, hopefully unjustified). But BA do not allow WT to WTP upgrades in cheapest fare buckets. I'm looking for Economy to Premium Economy or possibly Business. I'm travelling at a quiet time (november) but appreciate 100% availability for upgrades can not be guaranteed.

So I guess i'm looking at AF/KL, CX, SQ (QF?) for Y to Y+, and chuck in EK & EY & AY (just using SIN/KUL as can easily connect onwards) for a one way Business upgrade - but without scouring every FFP, are their any airline that allows upgrade (at reasonable mileage options) on cheapest Y fare bucket?

Ideas and suggestions welcome! My experience is largely BA Exec club where I normally simply book RFS on a regular basis, but fancy burning some miles with this..

skywardhunter Oct 3, 2018 4:03 am

EK don't from the lowest published fare bucket but their cheapest current fares aren't always those restricted ones, as long as you get a Flex fare you can uogupgr in advance. Availability might be a problem, flying into SIN and out of DPS won't be an issue

Sam Bee Oct 3, 2018 4:51 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30273467)
EK don't from the lowest published fare bucket but their cheapest current fares aren't always those restricted ones, as long as you get a Flex fare you can uogupgr in advance. Availability might be a problem, flying into SIN and out of DPS won't be an issue

Thanks, just had a look - it would be saver fares (I may be able to pay the extra £150 each way for Flex Upgrades, but that does jump the price up). Also would mean having to fly on EK's 10 across 777's from Bali (really don't mind EK Y - but only on the A380's!) - but thought for thought - I now understand EK's FFP!

skywardhunter Oct 3, 2018 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee (Post 30273564)
Thanks, just had a look - it would be saver fares (I may be able to pay the extra £150 each way for Flex Upgrades, but that does jump the price up). Also would mean having to fly on EK's 10 across 777's from Bali (really don't mind EK Y - but only on the A380's!) - but thought for thought - I now understand EK's FFP!

Well if the point is to upgrade to J then you won't be stuck in Y :)

Sam Bee Oct 3, 2018 5:31 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30273631)
Well if the point is to upgrade to J then you won't be stuck in Y :)

That's true! I've calculated that I can upgrade to WTP in both directions, or Business in one as need to keep a small stock of miles for other trips!

sdsearch Oct 4, 2018 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Bee (Post 30273460)
I hope this is the right place to post this :)

So I have a work trip that allows me flexibility of airlines - and I even have flexibility of routing, but will need to be into SIN and out of DPS from the UK. But it would be in Y, at their cheapest fare buckets.

I have a big stack of AMEX MR ready to convert to programmes (I normally use AVIOS, but holding back converting for fear of impending devaluation, hopefully unjustified). But BA do not allow WT to WTP upgrades in cheapest fare buckets. I'm looking for Economy to Premium Economy or possibly Business. I'm travelling at a quiet time (november) but appreciate 100% availability for upgrades can not be guaranteed.

It's not as simple as who provides upgrades on the cheapest fare buckets. Some airlines who do provide upgrade on the cheapest fare buckets add a cash component to the miles cost of the upgrade to compensate for allowing it on the cheapest fare. So just because an upgrade is possible on the cheapest fare, that doesn't mean it's necessarily the cheapest way to upgrade, because the upgrade itself may be more expensive.

And it also matters what exactly is the cheapest fare bucket. At some airlines, the very cheapest fare bucket these days is called Basic Economy, which takes away a lot of perks, which can include anything having to do with frequent flyer accounts! So at these airlines, only the cheapest non-Basic-Economy fare bucket could possibly allow upgrades.

lkrt Dec 1, 2018 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Bee (Post 30273460)
So I guess i'm looking at AF/KL, CX, SQ (QF?) for Y to Y+, and chuck in EK & EY & AY (just using SIN/KUL as can easily connect onwards) for a one way Business upgrade - but without scouring every FFP, are their any airline that allows upgrade (at reasonable mileage options) on cheapest Y fare bucket?

AY allows upgrades from any of the booking classes to J.

Concerto Dec 4, 2018 5:06 am

So did Air Berlin and you can be sure I made good use of it. I miss them in that respect. Interesting about Finnair.