Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Latest innovations in travel loyalty and brand partnerships

Old Jul 15, 18, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem

What are the latest innovations in travel loyalty that seem to benefit you most? I like the growing number of brand partnerships like Delta-Lyft and United-Marriott. I also like the pooling of miles between many programs, the ability to search for flight awards through third-party sites (far more difficult in the past), and the growing number of startups and apps that can help better manage points earning and redemptions.
Another favorite is the points for forgoing housekeeping in hotels. What observations are you noticing with your favorite travel brands innovating in the current landscape of loyalty programs?
Old Jul 15, 18, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pooling separate from earning partners?

could be interesting thread!
Old Jul 15, 18, 12:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Alaska MVP, Flying Blue Silver
IHG has a pretty sweet gig with Shell. If you're an IHG platinum member then you can get Fuel Rewards gold status and save 6-7 cents per gallon at the pump. Linky:https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/de...extra-benefits
Old Jul 15, 18, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shkotz View Post
IHG has a pretty sweet gig with Shell. If you're an IHG platinum member then you can get Fuel Rewards gold status and save 6-7 cents per gallon at the pump. Linky:https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/de...extra-benefits
Depends where you are as to how "sweet a gig" that is. 6-7 cents off per gallon at Shell is totally useless to me, because there are local "secondary" chains of gas stations near me that routinely are 15 to 20 cents less than all Shell stations around. So I have to save more than 20 cents at Shell to make it worthwhile for me to even go to Shell. I tend to only get value at Shell when I can use a gift card 4x fuel points promo from the Kroger version of the Shell discount program and get 40+ cents off per gallon. Otherwise I just get gas at those cheaper gas stations.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 15, 18 at 6:47 pm
Old Jul 15, 18, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I like the growing number of brand partnerships like Delta-Lyft and United-Marriott.
Seems for every partnership gained, another is lost. I hate the dwindling number of brand partnerships like Delta-Starwood. (I have no need for Lyft, so it's not a substitute for me for the loss of a hotel partnership by Delta.)

And as another example of it being more semi-balanced loss and gain rather than total gain, Choice added a way to earn a small number of miles with certain airlines in addition to points on stays, but that's only after Hilton totally got rid of all of its options for earning miles from stays.

And what sort of "innovation" is it that every hotel seems to want to make its normal website the mobile wobsite (with everything way too huge on a normal computer)? That's being cheap (wanting to maintain only one website instead of a separate desktop and separate mobile website) rather than "innovative" IMHO.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 15, 18 at 6:52 pm
Old Jul 16, 18, 8:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Alaska MVP, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Depends where you are as to how "sweet a gig" that is. 6-7 cents off per gallon at Shell is totally useless to me, because there are local "secondary" chains of gas stations near me that routinely are 15 to 20 cents less than all Shell stations around. So I have to save more than 20 cents at Shell to make it worthwhile for me to even go to Shell. I tend to only get value at Shell when I can use a gift card 4x fuel points promo from the Kroger version of the Shell discount program and get 40+ cents off per gallon. Otherwise I just get gas at those cheaper gas stations.
That's true. But if you also have T-Mobile, they have a T-Mobile Tues offer for 25 cents off a gal. at Shell every month or so. Stack that with your current offer and that gives you about 32 cents off the gal..
Old Jul 21, 18, 6:00 am

Well there is BP - United.
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:27 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I like the growing number of brand partnerships like Delta-Lyft and United-Marriott.
Although not a partnership, United-Uber works too (via MPX)
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think it's been more bad news than good news. For me, the partnership between DL and SPG was valuable and United/Marriott (which has existed for a while) much less so. It's even worse in that previously MR PP got UA Gold, but now that's been reduced to Silver, which isn't much better than nothing.

I question the security and competence of some of the startups and new third party sites. I don't want to hand over control of my passwords and accounts to these organizations, nor do I believe that the award booking businesses are necessarily skilled at their work relative to their fees.

Search this Thread