Reload this Page >

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:09 pm

I was able to combine my AAA CDP and point redemption until the payment screen - so it better work when I actually want to book it next time. AAA is 20yo+, but still awesome since everyone can get the underage fee waived for just $60/yr. Oh, I also asked on chat whether I can do CDP benefit + point redemption and was told yes.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've been on the road and had no time to participate in DA this year. Just checked the site for the first time and am very surprised that 55k and 14k Choice packages are freely available on the last chance page. The cost appears to have gone up by ~20% compared to last year, but it's surprising to see them just linger in the leftover bin, given the hype of years past.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
I've been on the road and had no time to participate in DA this year. Just checked the site for the first time and am very surprised that 55k and 14k Choice packages are freely available on the last chance page. The cost appears to have gone up by ~20% compared to last year, but it's surprising to see them just linger in the leftover bin, given the hype of years past.
I think 55k just reappeared somehow - I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I checked last chance offers earlier today. 14k was there for sure, but I could swear 55 k wasn't..
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klanfa
I think 55k just reappeared somehow - I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I checked last chance offers earlier today. 14k was there for sure, but I could swear 55 k wasn't..
Yup, that's quite a discovery -- I don't think we've seen anything ever "reappear" before!

It was easier to buy these packages this year than in recent years, but the 55K offer still sold out pretty quickly. The 14K offer -- which is significantly more per point -- didn't sell out this year.

Unless you are a hotel snob (Choice does have some nice hotels, but 90% or more of their properties are 3 star or below), I think most flyertalkers would benefit by having some Choice points. Like all the hotel programs, there are some good redemptions and bad redemptions, and it's always good to have another option (it's always unpredictable in any city which chain will have the best redemption). I've been happily buying their points from Daily Getaways for years. They do occasionally devalue, but not more than the other chains.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yup, that's quite a discovery -- I don't think we've seen anything ever "reappear" before!
It has happened at least once before. I recall seeing it happen before, and took advantage of such situation before.

The program may have faced denied/disputed/troublesome purchases and rescinded transactions which resulted in bringing back for sale previously sold lots on sold out deals. This wouldn’t be the first time that was the situation for these sales.

The 14k Choice point packages had never gotten close to being sold out. The 55k packages were sold out but some lots of 55k are back for sale.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpdx
The supply of Choice points for sale was ramped up big time (perhaps even by 300+%) this year while costs for the points was increased substantially too. Also, the value of transferring to WN or other airlines is not what it was before.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:00 am
Original Member

Can I ask what everyone is using the Choice points for? Best redemptions of Choice points.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by sggolf
Can I ask what everyone is using the Choice points for? Best redemptions of Choice points.
I use them for nights in choice hotels, not for trasferring and not for anything aspirational just good ole nights in hotels whenever i need.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Member

I briefly checked some USA hotels and it was 30K to stay in a less than 3 star hotel. I've read about how these packages get purchased like hotcakes but I couldn't see what best use was. Is there a time limit that points need to be used by? Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Got my vegas certificate today. so excited. I think it was a good value and looking forward to the stay.
Did anyone jump in on the Omni deals today?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by sggolf

"Leading Hotels of the World" & 'Preferred Hotels & Resorts", these are often $500+ nightly, in very high-end cities, such as London, Paris, Hong Kong, etc.

https://preferredhotels.com/private-offers/choiceprivileges2017part

https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...hotel-partners

Last edited by gkbiiii; Apr 20, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Oops, Gkbiiii! Both your links go to Preferred Hotels via Choice Privs. ! Where's the link to LHW bookings/ info?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I believe some of the hotels listed, are also part of the "Leading Hotels of the World".
Everything has to be booked by choice, by calling them directly.

https://www.lhw.com/
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow Fairmont April 30!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fair...l#post29665948

Last edited by Brendan; Apr 20, 2018 at 6:46 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

It has happened at least once before. I recall seeing it happen before, and took advantage of such situation before.

The program may have faced denied/disputed/troublesome purchases and rescinded transactions which resulted in bringing back for sale previously sold lots on sold out deals. This wouldn’t be the first time that was the situation for these sales.

The 14k Choice point packages had never gotten close to being sold out. The 55k packages were sold out but some lots of 55k are back for sale.
Soon after purchasing the 55k packages that came back on the Friday market, the 14k packages sold out. Now all the Choice packages are sold out.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.