Reload this Page >

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018

Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Why do people buy Choice points anyway: the best redemption i saw, were for "Leading Hotels of the World",for Paris.
For redemptions in Choice hotels in the following regions: Asia/Pacific and Europe; for Preferred Hotels & Resorts.

That explains my use at least.
bigbuy likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
These are a good deal, often more than $500+ nightly: Preferred Hotels & Resorts
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
My choice points posted.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by miadukes
My choice points posted.
Great, I also got them.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Tried to get the LUXOR deal and impossible. Really need a bot to get in first...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by canesfan
Tried to get the LUXOR deal and impossible. Really need a bot to get in first...
Two of us were trying in my office and nothing and then once it showed sold out i was like let me go to my backup plan of excalibur and got it on the second click. But i really would have rather had the food credit for various places and not just a steak house.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes
Two of us were trying in my office and nothing and then once it showed sold out i was like let me go to my backup plan of excalibur and got it on the second click. But i really would have rather had the food credit for various places and not just a steak house.
That's interesting because after a couple of minutes I tried all the packages and couldn't get into any of them. LUXOR showed as Sold out after at least 5 minutes... There's still some decent packages left in Vegas coming up but I lowered my expectations to getting anything to like winning the lotto
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by canesfan
That's interesting because after a couple of minutes I tried all the packages and couldn't get into any of them. LUXOR showed as Sold out after at least 5 minutes... There's still some decent packages left in Vegas coming up but I lowered my expectations to getting anything to like winning the lotto
Yeah I hit Luxor until it was sold out. Remember just becuase its gone doesnt mean its done until yo u get sold out. If someone messes up their CC info, package goes back in to the pool or if they time out, take too long to complete. I always keep hitting until it says sold out or until I get what I need quantity wise.
This was really lucky, because literally got it 5 minutes after it went live. Sorta bummed they didnt reveal week 5 yet as they had more vegas stuff but none of the vegas stuff coming up I was interested in, the only one in my budget was circus circus and I won't stay there LOL

I liked excalibur when we stayed, I would have just rather received the options that went with the luxor.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I'm surprised all of the Hertz deals are still available right now. I remember the 16,500 package sold out pretty fast last year but I was able to snag one of those pretty easily
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Everything
Yeah, I snagged the 13,200 package and noticed that they were all still available at 1:15P.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I got one of the Hertz deals. They were tough to get though.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I got one of the Hertz deals. They were tough to get though.
This is the first time in several years that I've been able to get a Hertz deal from Daily Getaways. I went for the 16,500 package due to the slightly higher number offered, more points, and good price-per-point pricing. I've tried hard the past few years to "win" with no success. I'm thinking the new interface this year momentarily confused some folks.

I honestly don't think most people should buy these packages. They're really only useful for VERY frequent travelers. For most rentals, you just comparison shop and get the best price. And when that doesn't work, I still prefer National's Emerald Club, where there are usually good codes to use (and National's service and cars are superior to Hertz). But sometimes you have an "unusual" trip (like you need a downtown pick up, or a city that National doesn't serve), or something overseas, and National can't help you. Also, the elimination of the Discover Card's "Rewards" redemption for National (where you "paid" $20 and got $40 off) has effectively raised the price of some short National rentals for me. So I'm glad to restock my Hertz points. I hope others who bought also did so wisely.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:43 pm

I'd say these are also good for people who are stuck with Hertz, as only Hertz waives the underage fee for AAA members and USAA limited the fee waivers to insurance-eligible members only. With no comparison shopping, points are the way to go when cash rates are high. Also I'd say they're pretty good value on one-day, one-way rentals which are often priced well north of $100 but only ~$60 with points.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
This is the first time in several years that I've been able to get a Hertz deal from Daily Getaways. I went for the 16,500 package due to the slightly higher number offered, more points, and good price-per-point pricing. I've tried hard the past few years to "win" with no success. I'm thinking the new interface this year momentarily confused some folks.

I honestly don't think most people should buy these packages. They're really only useful for VERY frequent travelers. For most rentals, you just comparison shop and get the best price. And when that doesn't work, I still prefer National's Emerald Club, where there are usually good codes to use (and National's service and cars are superior to Hertz). But sometimes you have an "unusual" trip (like you need a downtown pick up, or a city that National doesn't serve), or something overseas, and National can't help you. Also, the elimination of the Discover Card's "Rewards" redemption for National (where you "paid" $20 and got $40 off) has effectively raised the price of some short National rentals for me. So I'm glad to restock my Hertz points. I hope others who bought also did so wisely.
Agreed. I have a specific need for them but yes, even at the Daily Getaway price, you are probably just breaking even on most rentals. It's not a huge saving except on specific rentals or specific markets.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klanfa
I'd say these are also good for people who are stuck with Hertz, as only Hertz waives the underage fee for AAA members and USAA limited the fee waivers to insurance-eligible members only. With no comparison shopping, points are the way to go when cash rates are high. Also I'd say they're pretty good value on one-day, one-way rentals which are often priced well north of $100 but only ~$60 with points.
I've used the USAA rate at Hertz for my under-21-aged daughter; could you somehow combine that rate with using Hertz points? Or an AAA card?

I agree about the one-way rentals. There are ways to use codes to rent one-way with National at a "rational" price, but you can do it 100% legitimately without worry if you have Hertz points. Several years ago, I even rented for a week one way from Fairbanks to Juneau, putting the car on a ferry. A nice weird trip, that would be cost-prohibitive without points.

But this is weird stuff; not something most folks would regularly do. It's even taken me years to use up my last 10,000 points. Just better deals using other discounts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.