Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Earn up to 600K AA Miles for charitable donation

Old Oct 30, 17, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage

Recently got an email about a 2X miles promo AA has going with Susan G Komen in support of breast cancer awareness month. Requires min donation of $25 and you get 20 miles/$1 donated. Can earn up to 600,000 miles. Wondering if anyone has done this (or a similar deal) before? Thoughts? It's getting harder and harder to find ways to earn big chunks of miles and the cap on this is higher than I've seen with any other AA promos.
Old Oct 30, 17, 2:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
That's a truly horrible rate for purchasing miles (which is what you'd essentially be doing) in and of itself. IIRC the regular, non-bonused rate for directly purchasing miles from AA is something around 3 cents apiece which is still too high. But AA does occasionally run bonus specials on purchased miles that can bring the rate closer to a decent value if you need to top off for an award - but usually not for speculative purchasing.

If you were already planning to donate to a particular charity anyway and this would simply be icing on the cake, sure why not, but otherwise I've not found it to be worthwhile in the past. I also make sure to research any potential charity before I donate - IMHO Susan G. Komen is the last breast-cancer specific charity I would donate to.
Bonaventure and BearX220 like this.
Old Oct 30, 17, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Agree that this is a lousy rate if you're looking for miles or points. Credit card sign-up/initial spending bonuses are a much better way to go. Check out the credit card forums here at FT for more info.

In addition:

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
IMHO Susan G. Komen is the last breast-cancer specific charity I would donate to.
Agree even more. OP, do some googling about "Susan G. Komen controversy" and related search words to find out about its disreputable actions, such as but by no means limited to cutting off grants to Planned Parenthood several years ago.
kjbrant and Bonaventure like this.
Old Oct 30, 17, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA,DL
NO EQD, so is worthless for me.
Old Oct 30, 17, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

only for those who need deduction of up to ~$30K
Old Oct 30, 17, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage
Thanks for the input!
Old Oct 30, 17, 8:26 pm

plainjane38 welcome to FT
Old Jan 5, 18, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
only for those who need deduction of up to ~$30K
You won't get the $30K deduction for your donation. I was going to (not the full 30k) but learned "For charitable deduction purposes, each mile is valued at 3 cents per mile. The receipt of miles may reduce the tax deductibility of your contribution."

So basically if you donate $30K you get the 600k miles. The 600k miles are valued at $18k. You will therefore only be able to deduct $12k.
Yoshi212 and MDtR-Chicago like this.
Old Jul 22, 18, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by act0fgod View Post
You won't get the $30K deduction for your donation. I was going to (not the full 30k) but learned "For charitable deduction purposes, each mile is valued at 3 cents per mile. The receipt of miles may reduce the tax deductibility of your contribution."

So basically if you donate $30K you get the 600k miles. The 600k miles are valued at $18k. You will therefore only be able to deduct $12k.
Id be even more skeptical. To get a tax deduction I dont think youre able to receive ANY compensation - so receiving miles may eliminate the tax deduction
Old Jul 25, 18, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Skar4000 View Post
To get a tax deduction I dont think youre able to receive ANY compensation
Not true. You merely deduct the fair market value of anything received (like a tote bag, toaster, or miles) from your donation. That's why, at a charity auction, you get a deduction of what you paid over and above the value of the item you purchase.
Old Aug 24, 18, 12:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post

Agree even more. OP, do some googling about "Susan G. Komen controversy" and related search words to find out about its disreputable actions, such as but by no means limited to cutting off grants to Planned Parenthood several years ago.
While I'm not familiar with the Foundation's work in recent years, it might be worth noting that the individual responsible for that mess no longer works there. The fact that she now represents the GA-6 in the House is an entirely separate can of worms.

Good information to have. I wonder where AA managed to come up with that number from.
Old Aug 24, 18, 2:51 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
.... I wonder where AA managed to come up with that number from.
That is approximately the nominal price that AA charges for miles here:

https://buymiles.americanairlines.com/en/buygift

...in practice there is always a discount.
Old Aug 24, 18, 3:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by mia View Post
That is approximately the nominal price that AA charges for miles here:

https://buymiles.americanairlines.com/en/buygift

...in practice there is always a discount.
Thanks for that. Despite having availed myself of the option (with discount) on occasion, I've never actually noticed the rack rate for AA miles.

Search this Thread