Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Earn 500,000 Miles with Qatar Airways

Old Oct 15, 17, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

It seems that in August Qatar airways has opened up three new routes in Sohar, Prague and Kiev. Their promotional deal involves flying in all three before March of 2018 in order to claim the 500,000 miles. Now I do not think I need to say this but I believe since there affiliation with American airlines it might be transferrable.

Since I am new this forum will not let me post the link but typing in 500,000 Qmiles into google should suffice.

By the way I am new and apologize if I made any mistakes.
Old Oct 15, 17, 4:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The problem is that one was expected to fly the first flight to these destinations and hence it is not possible to do the deal as one would say.
Old Oct 16, 17, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Jondexplorer.

It was already discussed back in August in the Qatar Airlines forum, and the discussion withered away once everyone realize how impossible this promo was even for people based in Qatar (where all these flights originate). Here's that thread:
500,000 Bonus QMile Offer!
Originally Posted by Jondexplorer View Post
I believe since there affiliation with American airlines it might be transferrable.
No, affliliation with American Airlines does not mean the miles are transferrable, only that you can use Qatar QMiles on AA flights (if there is saver availability only). But unlike American Airlines miles, Qatar QMiles have a nasty "hard" expiration (ie, an expiration that cannot be extended indefinitely through "activity"), unless you have Platinum status with Qatar itself; see the wikipost atop this thread for more:
Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire
So you'd have to use up all those 500,000 QMiles in about 3 years. You couldn't hang on to them as a "lifetime" stash of miles.

(It's easier for an airline with such a "drastic" expiration policy to dangle such a promo, because they know most people won't be able to use most of those miles before they expire. But, in this case, that's the not the only issue with the promo, the other issue is how much ridiculous time and expense it would require to earn it if it's even possible.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 16, 17 at 8:04 am

Search this Thread