Change of terminology - "Revenue Ticket" should be called "Cash Ticket" instead

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPRich
Credit cards are not cash.

I forked over a $20 bill to pay the $19 fare on-board PE in the 80's. I've paid for many, many tickets on a credit card, but haven't used cash since, AFAIK.
Credit/bank card payments are denominated in cash amounts. Cash-denominated pricing can be referred in short as cash purchases since they are ultimately cash-denominated purchases and settled as such. Mileage tickets too get settled in cash-denominated terms, as the revenue tickets they are.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
Credit cards are not cash.

I forked over a $20 bill to pay the $19 fare on-board PE in the 80's. I've paid for many, many tickets on a credit card, but haven't used cash since, AFAIK.
Ha! Same era, I paid cash to fly Midway Airlines. I also believe the fare was $19 each way to/from Chicago. We were kids daytripping to Cubs games...

Anyway, to this topic. "Revenue" and "award" seems to work. I totally get that "non-revenue" is a mostly unrelated proper term that means something to airline employees, but in my experience to date that hasn't confused anyone during my travels. The people using the term "nonrev" are likely using it with their fellow employees who understand that it's different from an award.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:32 am
Suspended

Some people apply the term non-revenue to tickets issued using loyalty program miles/points, even as those are generally revenue tickets too.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:28 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Just try to pay for an airline ticket with cash (i.e. currency,) and see how many "S's" show up on your BP.

I agree with JDiver-there's no confusion here.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?

So do you really dispute that tickets issued using miles by say AA, DL and UA aren't revenue tickets?
I don't dispute that at all, but if you think those are the only U.S. airline programs, you've lost a ton of credibility here.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't dispute that at all, but if you think those are the only U.S. airline programs, you've lost a ton of credibility here.
Your "if .... then" statement isn't applicable to me.

I have rather large miles/point balances in AS, B6 and VX (for now) accounts, for example.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 9, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think I'd rather have a nice stash of AS than any of the big 3 these days... (Although I also get the point that AA/DL/UA are more likely to establish industry standards as far as nomenclature around award programs goes...)
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This whole thing is silly. US carriers don't differentiate by method of payment other than for perhaps IDB and downgrades and not even then for the most part.

The term for a ticket not paid for with cash (or equivalent such as CC) is defined by DOT as a "zero dollar ticket."

ZDT's are as opposed to employee, industry and other freebies or close-to-freebies. Those are part of the carrier's operating structure in the same way that employers may choose to subsidize a cafeteria or whatever.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I think I'll stay neutral in this debate . But I do know that free/ award tickets are exempt from certain US taxes that apply only to money-paid tickets, such as US 7.5% tax, "ZP" $2.50 (?) segment tax, "XF" Psgr. Facility Charges. However, free tickets are subject to the $5.60 TSA Tax and to US Customs/ Imm./ Agricutural Inspection taxes.
I assume that airline-employee non-rev. tix are exempt from all of these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.