Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where's my pudding!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does that mean vegetarians can't eat vegetarian pudding?
If not I am SOL !
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:39 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Need
They can only have yorkshire pudding.

I was the stupid American who ordered a yorkshire pudding for dessert...
Actually, Mom makes Yorkshire pudding and uses the drippings from the beef, so I doubt a vege/vegan could in good conscience eat that.

CC sign up bonuses are still the "pudding" or as close to it as we'll come for some time.
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Hyatt: Plat, HH: Dia, Spg: Au, VS: Red, Accor: Plat, BAEC: Ag, Nordic Choice: Au
Smile

Originally Posted by Need
They can only have yorkshire pudding.

I was the stupid American who ordered a yorkshire pudding for dessert...
Well I have to tell you, when I was a boy, after dessert had been finished at Sunday lunch my late father and uncle (both born and bred Englishmen) used to eat any leftover yorkshire puddings filled with thick yellow cream and strawberry jam. In fact they used to fight over them.

Probably more amazing was the fact that both lived on to a ripe old age despite a diet which today would be considered disgustingly unhealthy, if not life threatening.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by rbAA
CC sign up bonuses are still the "pudding" or as close to it as we'll come for some time.
Yes. When you can get 50,000 to 100,000 bonus miles / points per credit card, but only a few hundred for flying across the country, actually boarding airplanes is no longer the point at all.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by jfknight
Well I have to tell you, when I was a boy, after dessert had been finished at Sunday lunch my late father and uncle (both born and bred Englishmen) used to eat any leftover yorkshire puddings filled with thick yellow cream and strawberry jam. In fact they used to fight over them.

Probably more amazing was the fact that both lived on to a ripe old age despite a diet which today would be considered disgustingly unhealthy, if not life threatening.
Never any leftover Yorkshire Pudding at our house! We used to have it as a starter with gravy but I have heard of people having it with jam.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Yes. When you can get 50,000 to 100,000 bonus miles / points per credit card, but only a few hundred for flying across the country, actually boarding airplanes is no longer the point at all.
Well, earning miles from pudding, as many years ago as it was, wasn't about boarding airplanes either.

It was well before pudding that flying airplanes on routes you paid by yourself stopped being a great way to earn free flights. The last case of that was probably back when Southwest's Rapid Rewards 1.0 (the 16 credits = 1 free flight phase), during some promotions, would let you fly 4 cheap shorthaul (say, intra-California or intra-Texas) round trip and earn a free roundtrip that could be redeemed for a cross-country routing each way.

The main way that miles from airplane flights work for some people still is if they fly a lot for business and their employer uses a consistent airline. Then the employer is paying for everything, but the person flying is getting all the miles. (Unless, these days, the employer only pays for Basic Economy no-mile-earning fares, that is .)
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Iberia and Avis had a deal for 18k Avios for renting a car over a Spanish holiday weekend last year. They also had a deal for 9k Avios per weekend rental which ran for almost 2 months earlier this year. I rented a car for 3 of those weekends when the rates were cheap...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...vios-deal.html

There was also a convoluted route to earn 2400 Avios per HP printer cartridge purchased earlier this year and I got some good mileage out of that.

Also, 250 miles per ebook purchase earlier this year. The point is that these deals do still crop up from time to time but often don't hang around for long...

Last edited by mickeyjaw; Sep 18, 2017 at 4:43 am Reason: Confirmed number of rentals and added thread link
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
Never any leftover Yorkshire Pudding at our house! We used to have it as a starter with gravy but I have heard of people having it with jam.
In the North of England its not uncommon to have it for breakfast with Golden Syrup, still something my mother does occasionally.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Of course, if you're in York, you can try it as a wrap...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...edia-sensation
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by stut
Of course, if you're in York, you can try it as a wrap...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...edia-sensation
At "Pie In The Sky", a small cult-ish restaurant/take-out place in Woods Hole, on Cape Cod (near Falmouth, Massachusetts), their sandwiches are available on a considerable choice of breads, rolls, or bagels... or Yorkshire Pudding.

However, theirs are served slightly sweet, and are freshly baked in several batches throughout the morning. And alas, no flavor of beef drippings, which might not work with the sweetness, anyway.

People queue up for them, starting early, or ask when the next batch will be hot out of the oven. So there aren't always a lot "left over" for sandwiches later in the day.

I've never heard of them as "sandwich" type uses elsewhere, until now.

GC
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:18 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
At "Pie In The Sky", a small cult-ish restaurant/take-out place in Woods Hole, on Cape Cod (near Falmouth, Massachusetts), their sandwiches are available on a considerable choice of breads, rolls, or bagels... or Yorkshire Pudding.

However, theirs are served slightly sweet, and are freshly baked in several batches throughout the morning. And alas, no flavor of beef drippings, which might not work with the sweetness, anyway.

People queue up for them, starting early, or ask when the next batch will be hot out of the oven. So there aren't always a lot "left over" for sandwiches later in the day.

I've never heard of them as "sandwich" type uses elsewhere, until now.

GC
Heh, by sheer coincidence, I recall eating there, while waiting for a ferry to Martha's Vineyard on a holiday to Cape Cod a few years ago! Didn't notice or have the Yorkshire pudding, though (far too early in the day for that kind of thing, I was purely focused on the coffee...)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, earning miles from pudding, as many years ago as it was, wasn't about boarding airplanes either.

It was well before pudding that flying airplanes on routes you paid by yourself stopped being a great way to earn free flights. The last case of that was probably back when Southwest's Rapid Rewards 1.0 (the 16 credits = 1 free flight phase), during some promotions, would let you fly 4 cheap shorthaul (say, intra-California or intra-Texas) round trip and earn a free roundtrip that could be redeemed for a cross-country routing each way.
I was never a pure mileage runner, but I still earned miles at an attractive enough rate to "influence" some personal trips up until 4-5 years ago. The old Southwest RR 1.0 was certainly good for many, especially when they had a whole period of several years where you received two credits simply by booking directly on their site, which is pretty much the only way I've booked a Southwest ticket since their site has existed. (To me, it was the only *possible* way to book one, as our corporate travel portal never sold WN tickets until somewhat recently and third-party sites still don't.)

I used to find cheap transcons on AA and requalify for Plat and earn a ton of miles and upgrades in the process, usually for $200-225 R/T. But I actually spent the weekend on the West Coast, thus they weren't really MR's the way this board thinks of them.

The other big difference from the past is that the big FFPs would run promotions designed to drive you to a wide variety of their partners. There were cases where it was actually more rewarding to stay across 5 different hotel chains during a promo period and earn miles than it was to simply stay at your preferred chain, earning points and status. AA, US, and NW all had big multi-partner promos that I personally participated in. The last US one was about 5-ish years ago and I earned approximately enough for two R/T J tickets to Hong Kong.

Now the game is 99% about credit cards. Other partner promos are few and far between. The partners are still there, but the really great promos are mostly gone.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by c1ue
The above deal is invitation only. I've been using it - I gave up having a full time car after my baby was vandalized last year to the point of being totaled by the insurance company.

To put the Hertz rental promo in perspective: 5500 miles is approximately what I earn with Mileage Plus on a round trip transcontinental flight these days as a Gold member. And while my home airport is a 1+ hour bus ride away and rentals are expensive to boot, the combination of lack of car and regular meetings 50+ miles away = a significant number of 1 day car rentals.
I've also only booked when I get $30ish rates = $50ish net cost - Hertz at this airport can be base $100/day or completely unavailable.
I posted in that thread about some Mexican Hertz rates for $1 a day. The truly ambitious could talk to the agency and do a ton of back-to-back bookings. I believe there was a trip report on FT somewhere about some guy who did something similar with Avis I believe.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I posted in that thread about some Mexican Hertz rates for $1 a day. The truly ambitious could talk to the agency and do a ton of back-to-back bookings. I believe there was a trip report on FT somewhere about some guy who did something similar with Avis I believe.
I've done back-to-back rentals with Avis for the Iberia Avios promo - a pile of Mon-Fri and Fri-Mon rentals stuck together. The weekday rentals earned at the standard rate and the weekend rentals earned at the bonus rate. After the first week I didn't bother returning the car - I just phoned in my mileage to have the rental desk staff close out the rental and open a new one without me being there.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by stut
Heh, by sheer coincidence, I recall eating there, while waiting for a ferry to Martha's Vineyard on a holiday to Cape Cod a few years ago! Didn't notice or have the Yorkshire pudding, though (far too early in the day for that kind of thing, I was purely focused on the coffee...)
Small world!!

But being there early in the morning, you did miss a treat. That's when they keep bringing another batch out of the oven, and when they are fresh... YUM!

You'll just have to return...

(We stay at a relatively new (renovated) Inn almost next door, and that is mighty dangerous. We take turns bringing a few back to the room. )

GC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.