Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

how to pay monthly health insurance with cc?

Old Jun 2, 17, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers

for recently retired wife;
$700/mo for ~8mos. starting Sep 2017;
Empire BCBS payee doesn't accept cc;
is there technique involving "vanilla" cards?
or something involving AMEX or VISA gift
cards with small initial fee & then reloadable?
know nothing about these schemes,
any expert advice-comments appreciated!
Old Jun 2, 17, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm moving this to MilesBuzz where you're likely to find more posters who have given this some thought.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Information Desk
Old Jun 2, 17, 8:00 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I would begin here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...tc-2017-a.html
Old Jun 3, 17, 7:07 am

Programs: BA GfL
I have Highmark BCBS in Delaware. Their website doesn't accept credit cards for premium payments, but if you pay by phone, you can indeed use a credit card. (I believe that the ACA requires acceptance of CC payments, but I also believe that the insurance companies are trying to make it as difficult as possible since it costs them more than taking check or debit card payments.) Give the phone a try.
Old Jun 3, 17, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Thanks for responses thus far.
The payment is processed by "Benefit Concepts".
They state they accept payment by check or
by direct deposit from savings-checking account...
Old Jun 3, 17, 9:26 am

Oh, I guess she has COBRA then. When I had that, it was also check only. It was annoying but unavoidable.
Old Jun 3, 17, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
Oh, I guess she has COBRA then. When I had that, it was also check only. It was annoying but unavoidable.
When I had COBRA, I paid by credit card, but that was a long time ago. It probably depends on who the insurer is.
Old Jun 4, 17, 10:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
... but I also believe that the insurance companies are trying to make it as difficult as possible since it costs them more than taking check or debit card payments.)
I agree. I can pay my insurance premium by CC, but I have to log on and do it manually every month. Auto-payment is available, but only by direct bank account debit.
Old Jun 4, 17, 11:08 am

Programs: A3 *G, IHG Plat Amb., Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold, Accor Gold
We have two bills we pay each month that do not accept cc; daycare and donations to a non-profit.

We use Plastiq and have been very pleased with their product.
Old Jun 4, 17, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer View Post
Thanks for responses thus far.
The payment is processed by "Benefit Concepts".
They state they accept payment by check or
by direct deposit from savings-checking account...
Did you read the thread on Plastiq that mia liinked above? Plastiq can take payments by credit card (with a 2.5% fee typically), and issue checks to places that only accept checks.

Ie, the answer is not specific to your health insurance.. It's the same answer for anyone who only takes payment by check.

Of course, you better have a really good reason to pay by credit card (such as doing the minimum spend on a signup bonus), because the 2.5% fee doesn't make sense with, for example, a 1.5% or even 2% cashback card.

But that 2.5% fee is simply (very close to) what the credit card company charges Plastiq to accept credit cards. Lots of stores pay high "interchange" fees when you pay be credit card, but you don't see those fees, they're invisible to you most of the time, because the store would rather get the (hopefully greater) business from you the credit card customer and eat those fees (out of their profits) than for you to go somewhere else and not be their customer if they didn't accept credit cards.

In some places in the USA (states or parts of states), you can see a hint of this at gas stations which have separate cash and credit prices. But in other places, separate cash and credit prices at retail are illegal, and so the cost of accepting credit cards is hidden from you even more.
Old Jun 5, 17, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
In some places in the USA (states or parts of states), you can see a hint of this at gas stations which have separate cash and credit prices. But in other places, separate cash and credit prices at retail are illegal, and so the cost of accepting credit cards is hidden from you even more.
It's more common outside the U.S. than you think.
Old Jun 5, 17, 10:05 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer View Post
Empire BCBS payee doesn't accept cc;
This may be accurate for your wife's specific plan, but I would probe because here it says:

You can make the first payment for your new health plan here. You can also set up automatic monthly bank account drafts or credit/debit card charges.
https://payment.empireblue.com/sales.../home?state=NY

Last edited by mia; Jun 6, 17 at 7:43 am
Old Jun 5, 17, 10:08 am

COBRA is a different story vs. buying the policy directly from the provider. There will almost always be a COBRA benefits administrator--you pay that entity, not Empire BCBS. Hence the difficulty.
Old Jul 2, 17, 2:58 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I have been successful in getting blue cross/ blue shield to take a visa and Amex.

My trick is to wait until I'm a month behind; Then they really want your money. Next ask if I can pay with a CC to Catch up. Then casually ask if you can put 6 or 12 months on there and prepay. They only take credit cards by exception once or twice per year; so gotta make the most of it. Also great way to burn through minimum spend.

Good luck.
Old Jul 2, 17, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some always take visa/mc but not amex

Search this Thread