Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Air Miles cancels expiry policy: Dec 2016 (Canada)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Air Miles cancels expiry policy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...licy-1.3877319
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:06 pm

I'm surprised it even registered on here. Haha. Air Miles doesn't seem to be a big contender as a Loyalty program anymore.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jayta78
I'm surprised it even registered on here.
Came by a few months ago. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...zz-canada.html
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jayta78
I'm surprised it even registered on here. Haha. Air Miles doesn't seem to be a big contender as a Loyalty program anymore.
Gosh, I hope it isn't the favoured program of any experienced loyalty points collectors / credit card churners.

But certainly many of us have had to help out a few family members and friends with their expiring Air Miles accounts.

And, most of the Air Miles I've earned have been from American Express card churns. If they keep offering, I'll keep enrolling.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:45 am
Original Poster

From Air Miles' parent company filing with the SEC:

At this time LoyaltyOne anticipates the amount of the expected charge to be between USD $180 million and $250 million.

Going forward, LoyaltyOne will adjust the value proposition to collectors to offset the lost economics resulting from a reduction in the breakage rate estimate and to maintain, as closely as possible, the economics of the AIR MILES reward program prior to cancellation of the expiry policy.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...88/form_8k.htm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I feel for the multitude of member who rushed to use their points for overvalued travel and merchandise they didn't want to need. Talk about a way to alienate a good percentage of your collectors.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:27 am

Time to talk about a class action representing everyone who used there miles in a rush at a lower value than they should have?
I know a few people who were saving for travel and spent them on merchandise instead to avoid expiry.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

"Going forward, LoyaltyOne will adjust the value proposition to collectors".

I expect that the number of Air Miles required for any reward will spike, maybe even before January 1.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:53 am

I am so angry with Air Miles! I have been saving for several years in order to accumulate enough miles for a trip to Asia. I was going to lose about 2000 miles on December 31, and another 1000 in the spring. To see use the miles before expiry, I wound up using them to purchase car rentals in Las Vegas and Florida. The physical rewards that were offered were ridiculous and overpriced. I really did not want gourmet toasters or espresso machines!

So now, 30 days before the expiration policy was about to come into effect, they reverse their decision, and thousands of collectors are sitting with junk they didn't want, but bought to use up their hard-earned Miles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.