Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best use of frequent air miles? best CPM comparison?

Best use of frequent air miles? best CPM comparison?

Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:11 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
We've beaten this topic to death here over the years. The main thing is to have a framework for the value of a mile. As someone who is constantly manufacturing miles rather than getting them from flying- I just want to make sure I'm not redeeming for lower cpm than I'm purchasing them for. I tend to hold out for 2cpm or more, although I do make exceptions for orphaned amounts of miles that I won't ever have enough for a high-value redemption.

If you're the kind of person that mostly earns from flying on other people's money- it's probably OK to just consider the miles as free tickets you found in the sofa. At the end of the day it's an issue of whether you see miles as scarce or plentiful.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'd also add that at Southwest it's irrelevant what the CPM is, because it's always the same. So if you've got enough Southwest points for a flight you'd otherwise pay with your own money, you might as well use them (unless there's some credit card bonus you're chasing that makes paying in that case better, perhaps), because they'll never be worth more (absent tiny little differences with taxes that may not be included on points redemptions).

Some of the other LCCs/ULCCs where both earning and redemption of points is at a simple fixed ratio to cash cost may be the same (in CPM never varying), I dunno, I don't belong to any of the others.

If the WAG is not far from the BS price, I'll pay out of pocket as an A+ to get the qualifying points, and because I'm getting a decent kickback in miles from that purchase. If WN happens to be running a promotion that includes that fare, then I'll for sure pay out of pocket.

WN's kickback to A+ members is insane during a double-points promotion. A $500 BS fare earns you $300 in credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.