Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cheaper to reserve hotel via smartphone?

Old Dec 20, 15, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club

Just heard a consumer segment on CBS radio that included the recommendation to check hotel companies' smartphone apps, close-in. "As the lodging date approaches, companies often enter lower rates there than can be found on the computer because they want to steer reservations through that channel." It was reported as "companies" - not just one. I dunno because I just heard it, but figured it's worth discussion here.

Experience?
Old Dec 20, 15, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Rates change all the time for all kinds of reasons. Always make sure you're checking all avenues before your stay to check for different rates before your trip. I recently did this at IC Dubai Marina and saved a couple hundred dollars just by cancelling and rebooking
Old Dec 21, 15, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Some OTAs have been promoting their phone reservation apps by offering pretty big $-off and %-off coupon codes. Unfortunately stays through these reservations may not count for elite requalification nor do the codes work for certain chains (Travelocity ones have this limitation).
Old Dec 21, 15, 6:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Plat, GHA Black, M&C Elite, *A Gold
This is actually partly true - I used to get better rates on the Zuji mobile site (but not the app though!).
Old Dec 21, 15, 6:59 pm

Can also be more expensive

The only thing to say is that you have to check multiple sites.
Old Dec 22, 15, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And some hotels, will, for example only give you free internet if you book through their hotel program site. So be aware of which "perks" you may lose by booking another way, and evaluate whether you're saving enough to make up for that.

Search this Thread