FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Help - which frequent flyer programs give out plastic cards upon signing up? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1718417-help-frequent-flyer-programs-give-out-plastic-cards-upon-signing-up.html)

chnxx Oct 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Help - which frequent flyer programs give out plastic cards upon signing up?

Hey :D

Can anyone tell me which airlines give out plastic cards when you sign up for their frequent-flyer program?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm sorry to post the thread here!

guv1976 Oct 20, 2015 11:32 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Help!" would be a great title for a Beatles movie; for an FT thread, not so much.

You should alert a Moderator by clicking on the red triangle, and request that your thread be moved to the appropriate forum (Information Desk?), and be given a descriptive thread title to give FTers a sense of what the thread is all about.

Microwave Oct 21, 2015 1:04 am

I agree with guv1976, this thread is probably best located in the Information Desk forum. I've moved it there, and updated the thread title to make it more accurate.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator

beckoa Oct 21, 2015 2:10 am

Here are two vintage threads that may not apply anymore, but are fun to peruse
anyway:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...p-cards-2.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...tic-cards.html

I find this quote exciting :D

Originally Posted by GradGirl (Post 3393622)
I am with the previous poster. These programs should never issue a card. You should get a membership number, which you can plug into your palm pilot or write in your organizer along with every other membership number.

chnxx Oct 21, 2015 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 25594346)
I agree with guv1976, this thread is probably best located in the Information Desk forum. I've moved it there, and updated the thread title to make it more accurate.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator

I'm sorry :( will not happen again!

Smiley90 Oct 22, 2015 12:18 am

I know JAL and ANA do, as I have their cards without ever having flown them.

sdsearch Oct 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 25599227)
I know JAL and ANA do, as I have their cards without ever having flown them.

But from how long ago? Just because an airline used to do so a few years ago does not prove that it still does it today. Many programs have cut back on sending out plastic membership cards in recent years.

jt82 Oct 22, 2015 2:32 pm

I have a LH one from fairly recently

mapleg Oct 22, 2015 3:04 pm

Air Canada, ANA, Asiana.

Pedro M Oct 22, 2015 3:08 pm

SAS also sends plastic cards upon signing up.

bristoldave Oct 22, 2015 3:17 pm

As do Virgin Atlantic.

eccentricfusion Oct 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25601996)
But from how long ago? Just because an airline used to do so a few years ago does not prove that it still does it today. Many programs have cut back on sending out plastic membership cards in recent years.

I also got both JAL and ANA recently, within the past few months. Both sent me plastic membership cards.

chnxx Oct 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Recently received ANA card :)

I am in search of other cards.

Thanks for your answers.

gpia Oct 22, 2015 11:08 pm

CX does, but it'll cost you 50 USD (unless you have one of their co-branded CC's)

mapleg Oct 24, 2015 7:30 am

Originally Posted by guidospizza (Post 25604044)
CX does, but it'll cost you 50 USD (unless you have one of their co-branded CC's)

Hmm..that's quite a markup on a 20 cent piece of plastic.

bamba70 Oct 24, 2015 9:05 am

A3 sends them out, although possibly only after making at least one flight with them.

JerryFF Oct 24, 2015 11:32 am

One of the more riveting threads on FT in a long time.

Smiley90 Oct 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25601996)

Just like half a year. No flights on them, still.

redreeper Oct 27, 2015 6:25 am

Got one from Iberia a couple months ago

of course I am curious if you are just curious or making a collage or something

ritesa Oct 27, 2015 11:49 am

Not completely sure, but possibly Air Berlin, Etihad, Singapore Airlines and Finnair.

sdsearch Oct 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 25609436)

Originally Posted by guidospizza (Post 25604044)

Hmm..that's quite a markup on a 20 cent piece of plastic.

Given CX's location, it's probably not local mail for most people who request it. So some significant chunk is presumably international shipping & handling.

But it's probably mostly to discourage people from bothering them about it. :D

gpia Oct 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25623561)
Given CX's location, it's probably not local mail for most people who request it. So some significant chunk is presumably international shipping & handling.

It's actually the annual fee for MPC

JamilD Oct 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Got one from JAL when I signed up a few months back. It's actually really nice, and I'm surprised they shipped it out all the way to the 'states.

bot_beany Apr 26, 2017 1:56 am

Do any airlines send out basic member cards?

Just curious.

It used to be (many moons ago) that when you signed up to a frequent flyer scheme the airline would send you out a card immediately, even if you hadn't flown with them.

Then they only sent you a card after you completed your first flight.

Now many (most?) airlines only send you a card once you rank up to an "executive" level (silver or equiv etc).

My question is do any airlines still send out basic member cards?

A:Just for joining or
B:Once you've flown once with them?

I have a united account and I've just put my first return trip on it. Can I expect a card in the post or not?

Similar but different question. I have a KLM Ivory card from the days when you just made one flight and they sent out your pack. It's getting old though. Can I request a new one?

Thanks.

WorldLux Apr 26, 2017 5:14 am

What's the point of having a member card if you don't hold status? Just waste of plastic to send out basic membership cards, particularly in times where you can just store your cards electronically.

IIRC, LH still sends out M&M blue cards.

Yoshi212 Apr 26, 2017 7:52 am

NH, JL & LY sent me new member cards within the past 3-4 year. LY was a "new" account after previous one was deactivated for lack of use.

beachmouse Apr 27, 2017 6:41 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux (Post 28231169)
What's the point of having a member card if you don't hold status?

They're often the correct size to fit in the slot for those hotel rooms that require you to insert the room key into a reader in order to keep the power or CH&A on if you just need to leave the room for 5-10 minutes and don't want to have to fumble for the slot (often located 3 or more meters from the door) upon return

MeltingAlf Apr 27, 2017 6:46 am

SQ and A3 send out cards once you have one flight with mileage accrued logged.

The A3 card (which was shipped from Malta) came faster than the SQ card, despite me being in SIN.

Beltway2A Apr 27, 2017 7:41 am

I've gotten "basic" level cards from JAL, ANA, Iberia and Airtran (when they were a thing).

omghaxcode Apr 27, 2017 3:02 pm

I can confirm JAL still send them out as I got mine yesterday.

BearX220 Apr 27, 2017 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 28235848)
They're often the correct size to fit in the slot for those hotel rooms that require you to insert the room key into a reader in order to keep the power or CH&A on if you just need to leave the room for 5-10 minutes and don't want to have to fumble for the slot (often located 3 or more meters from the door) upon return

That's what my Costco card is for on the road.

C W Apr 30, 2017 4:50 pm

AB sends basic member cards, got one earlier this year.