Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by khochurn
is it better to call in or apply online?
Personally, regardless of banks or offers, I will verify the existence of the offer code and the offer (call if necessary) and apply online.

IME - applying online has the least issue.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:44 pm

Wife and I received letters today that our checking accounts were being closed, just a couple weeks shy of earing the opening bonus of 30k AA miles. We only made deposit and made the required 2 bill pays and 1 debit transaction.
I know with some other banks this usually leads to cc account closure, but cannot find anything about Citi in this regard. Has anyone had any experience with their bank account being closed and what happened to credit card accounts?
Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Doppy
Thought I would provide some feedback on the "benefits of Citigold" per the thread title. Was traveling in China and a problem developed using my ATM card. After a couple calls it was determined that I needed to reset my PIN and was directed to the nearest branch. I stopped in to the Citigold desk and the agent immediately told me they could provide absolutely no assistance whatsoever as there was no connection between China and U.S. bank accounts due to Chinese regulations.

I called Citigold customer service yet again, and they told me the best option was for me to return to the US, because they no longer allow PIN resets over the phone for security reasons. No offer to find a way to wire me some cash, have an agent at the Citibank branch verify my ID to support the PIN reset, or come up with some or any other solution. The agent briefly explored the idea of mailing a PIN to me in China, but I can't see how sending one to some random address in a random country is secure, and in any event, he couldn't guarantee when it might arrive, so it didn't seem worth pursing. The PIN problem also meant I was locked out of online banking, so there was nothing I could do for myself, either.

Having been with Citi for 20 years, most of that time a Citigold customer, I really expected more assitance than "go back to the US." This was China and really for the few days I was there I needed less than US$200 - not exactly enough to collapse the bank. Emergency cash is a listed benefit on the Web site, as is "Global Client Services," which supposedly can help with international travel. They also advertise access to Citigold banking centers abroad. Truth be told, I didn't press very hard because I knew I could find another solution for the relatively paltry amount of cash I needed, but I just expected more.
I had a very similar situation, but luckily happened in Taiwan. The branch helped me connected to citigold US, and allowed me unlock the pin over the phone. I had been told that I haven't notified them about traveling abroad, that why they blocked my acc. All in all, it did take me over an hour to fix it.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Wife and I received letters today that our checking accounts were being closed, just a couple weeks shy of earing the opening bonus of 30k AA miles. We only made deposit and made the required 2 bill pays and 1 debit transaction.
I know with some other banks this usually leads to cc account closure, but cannot find anything about Citi in this regard. Has anyone had any experience with their bank account being closed and what happened to credit card accounts?
Thanks
What did the letter say about the reasons the account was being closed?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:01 am

Citigold

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Thanks
Did you use bill pay to repay the funding CC or a citi CC?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:26 am

I tried applying for the Citigold using a promo code that yields the 50k AA miles. However when i selected my state, I received the following error:
We're sorry, but we're unable to open this account for you online. But you may open this account by calling 1-800-374-9700.

Anyone get this message? If so, did you apply and receive your bonus miles?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
I tried applying for the Citigold using a promo code that yields the 50k AA miles. However when i selected my state, I received the following error:
We're sorry, but we're unable to open this account for you online. But you may open this account by calling 1-800-374-9700.

Anyone get this message? If so, did you apply and receive your bonus miles?
Try simply hitting rhe back button at that point, then continuing. You'll see the promo code still on your account and rest of ap should be fine. Doctor of Credit website had step-by-step write up on opening Citigold accounts if you want to google it.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Already a Citi Private Bank member

Does anyone know if citi private bank members can still qualify for one of the CitiGold offers? Are any of the balance requirements waived?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:43 am

Citigold checking 50K TY Points

Hi,

Has anyone here signed up for the Citigold Checkings account?

I heard that you don't get the 50K TY Points if you were not targeted for it.

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:52 am

I signed up and am in the same boat. Waiting to hear back from Citi.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
Does anyone know if citi private bank members can still qualify for one of the CitiGold offers? Are any of the balance requirements waived?
No. All existing customers, regardless package levels, are not eligible for the offer.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you, gauravpgupta. I know what you mean by "here", but if you meant instead a geographical location, what would it be? Thanks again.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Bummer, but thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:24 am
soy

Programs: various
Opened a CG account under the recent 50k TYP bonus. Also have a Prestige and Premier.

Assuming I get the 50k bonus, and then decide to downgrade/close the CG account next year, I understand I have a limited time to redeem my TYP points.

What I want to know, does this have any impact on my TYP from the credit cards ?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
For those of you in the NYC area, Citigold is offering a free dessert promo at select restaurants:

https://www.citiprivatepass.com/citidesserts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.