FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   No/Low Award Fuel Surcharge Country of Origin? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1690942-no-low-award-fuel-surcharge-country-origin.html)

ASUDan130 Jun 28, 2015 6:19 am

No/Low Award Fuel Surcharge Country of Origin?

I know there are some countries that do not allow fuel surcharges when redeeming award flights. I know of Philippines and Brazil off hand. Thinking about redeeming an F class ticket on LH out of Europe and those surcharges are close to $400. What other countries have those where it could be more beneficial to start your trip there instead of paying those fuel surcharges?

guv1976 Jun 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'm pretty sure that if there were any European countries that limited surcharges on award ticket, we would have heard about it a long time ago.

Duke787 Jun 29, 2015 12:54 am

Well if you are using UA miles the surcharges will be less than $400 for LH F with the usual T-15 restriction.

Just looked at my receipt from LH F last summer and it was $111 in total taxes (and I also flew OS J ex-US on that trip as well as SK and OS J intra-Europe so that $177 covers more than just the LH F portion).

Looks like FRA - ORD for tomorrow is $177. If you add beyond that in all likelihood you aren't getting surcharges but rather required taxes since most European airports charge high passenger charges for premium passengers (with LHR being the worst) - and those taxes can't be avoided no matter where you originate or who you book it with

daninstl Sep 12, 2018 10:52 am

South Korea and Japan ban some surcharges or have in the past.

LondonElite Sep 13, 2018 12:59 am

Hong Kong

Mwenenzi Sep 13, 2018 1:23 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130 (Post 25038007)
I know there are some countries that do not allow fuel surcharges when redeeming award flights. I know of Philippines and Brazil off hand. Thinking about redeeming an F class ticket on LH out of Europe and those surcharges are close to $400. What other countries have those where it could be more beneficial to start your trip there instead of paying those fuel surcharges?

What frequent flyer program?
Carrier imposed surcharges are by the ffp. (Most if not all ffp's now do not use the words "fuel surcharge")
Real taxes are the same for airlines flying the same route/class. However some award surcharges can trigger additional (small) real taxes if the flight changes from non revenue to revenue.

daninstl Sep 24, 2018 8:53 am

Hong Kong was like this until just the last couple weeks where they changed the laws on this and will now allow surcharges, sadly.

Marschel Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am

Originally Posted by daninstl (Post 30239435)
Hong Kong was like this until just the last couple weeks where they changed the laws on this and will now allow surcharges, sadly.

Thought they change it in November? :confused: