FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   donate $ to USO or miles-cause for AA miles- 10 miles per $ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1683152-donate-uso-miles-cause-aa-miles-10-miles-per.html)

surewin May 27, 2015 4:57 pm

donate $ to USO or miles-cause for AA miles- 10 miles per $

First post..thanks to the community.

Seems to be a better deal than the Nepal 1000 miles on UA for $250 donation. Which I did already.

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/donate

max 60k earned this way and does not count toward elite status.

-surewin

flguy May 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info, I just made my donation, its for a great cause

krazykanuck May 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by flguy (Post 24879177)
its for a great cause

Indeed it is. I noticed this part in the T&Cs for the Susan G Comen one "For charitable deduction purposes, each mile is valued at 2.75 cents per mile if fewer than 6,000 miles are awarded and 2.5 cents per mile if 6,000 or more miles are awarded."

I'm guessing they will say your deductible amount is your donation less their valuation of the miles. Though in reality, you can probably just screen shot the donation or the CC statement as proof in the event you're ever asked to provide support for your charitable donation deduction.

myleguy May 28, 2015 8:11 am

Another miles for donation option if you are on e-miles is 200 miles for a $20 or more donation to Wounded Warrior Project.

Slow_Mustang May 30, 2015 9:09 am

Increased miles for USO donation?

Around this time of the year, AA awards 15 miles /$ donated to USO for a promotional period. Their website says 10 miles/$ and the AAdvantage service desk agent that I talked to had no clue about this promotion either. FYI, till 2013 this promotion was offered every year for a short period around Jul 4 every year. Last year, it was offered quietly for about a month around Memorial day without announcing it on their website. Anyone have any inside info about the timing of this offer for 2015?

nrr May 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Slow_Mustang (Post 24891830)
Around this time of the year, AA awards 15 miles /$ donated to USO for a promotional period. Their website says 10 miles/$ and the AAdvantage service desk agent that I talked to had no clue about this promotion either. FYI, till 2013 this promotion was offered every year for a short period around Jul 4 every year. Last year, it was offered quietly for about a month around Memorial day without announcing it on their website. Anyone have any inside info about the timing of this offer for 2015?

Even though AA is giving you miles, I assume you get a 100% tax deduction for your contribution.

surewin May 31, 2015 1:18 am

now 15 miles / $ donated

Thank you for the update. THe page now says " Now, through July 10, AAdvantage members will be awarded 15 - instead of 10 - AAdvantage miles for each dollar donated through American’s Miles In Support of All Who Serve program, which supports USO programs and services to support the morale, welfare, social and entertainment needs of troops and their families."

Originally Posted by Slow_Mustang (Post 24891830)

Slow_Mustang May 31, 2015 10:28 am

Promotion Direct Link

Not until you go to the 'DONATE' site, do you see the promotion. So, here is the direct link to that site,

http://www.uso.org/aadvantage/

Donations MUST be made through this site to get the miles and must be over $25.

MDFFlyer Jun 3, 2015 4:59 pm

Great cause :) donated!

POAflyer Mar 16, 2016 10:11 am

Does anyone know how long it takes for the miles to post once you donate?

flguy Mar 22, 2016 6:15 pm

usually 3 to 5 days for me

Slow_Mustang May 18, 2016 11:51 am

USO is not even listed as one of the organizations on the AA website under the miles for donations program. Anyone have any insight into AA's association with USO? Have they dropped this charity altogether in 2016?

Slow_Mustang Jun 1, 2016 12:34 pm

AA drops USO from their sponsored Charities List

AA insisted that they were still sponsoring USO and the problem with the USO not showing up as one of the sponsored charities on their website was because of a software glitch. They promised to get it fixed, but nothing happened.

I reached out to USO and was told that AA had dropped them as a sponsor at the end of 2015. I guess AAdvantage folks are either misinformed or giving out misinformation.

On a related note, Ralphs grocery store chain does from time to time offer a matching donation of up to $1 million total. Donating through their website would be another way to increase the benefits to USO.