Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

U.S. Travel Assoc Daily Getaways 2014

U.S. Travel Assoc Daily Getaways 2014

Old May 23, 2014, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That would routinely get blocked at time of attempted purchase; a way around that was to open another account for, or use an account of, a relative or self.
Are there not issues with the points going to account with a different name from the credit card holder?
Old May 23, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Are there not issues with the points going to account with a different name from the credit card holder?
We used credit cards in the name of relatives XYZ or DEF to buy points for the accounts of relatives or friends with different names; it worked in prior years and it worked this time too. This year it was part of our workaround to the limit of using any given credit card more than twice for any given package.

The seller's limits we hit and had to work around were the following: no more than two packages of a given package type credited to a given Choice account; and/or no more than two packages of a given type purchased under a given credit card number.

The latter was the primary inconvenience which I hit, given how Chase and Citi issue cards for say spouses/partners using the same number as the named primary account holder for both spouses/partners.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by crazyformiles
Has anyone had Hertz points show up yet?
Not yet ... be patient.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by DealsRock
Not yet ... be patient.
Mine are posted.
Old May 23, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.
I just bought one of the HHonors points packages. *I know it's one of the worst deals from the entire sale, but I needed them to complete a 5 night award stay at a category 10 property.*

Does anyone know how long it takes for the Hilton points to post? I can't imagine it takes the full 3-4 weeks that they state. Any past experiences?
Old May 23, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by DutchRyan
I just bought one of the HHonors points packages. *I know it's one of the worst deals from the entire sale, but I needed them to complete a 5 night award stay at a category 10 property.*
IMO, the IHG packages are actually worse since you can buy them at the same rate from IHG directly when they have their 100% bonus promos.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:40 pm

Hertz points

Originally Posted by hsumh316
Mine are posted.
When did the post? Wanted to confirm I didn't put the wrong number.
Old May 23, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Wow, Hilton Honors points are sold out
Old May 23, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
So I got one of my 36k Choice packages, but not the second. Seems odd.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by crazyformiles
When did the post? Wanted to confirm I didn't put the wrong number.
I checked this morning and they were in and it says it in my rewards account activity. May 22, 2014.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by iahphx
Your strategy is sound. But, honestly, to get any value from this deal, you need to be a very frequent traveler going to some unusual places.

Like in the USA, that might be Juneau, Alaska in summer. From my recollection, Wyndham is the only chain there. Hotels are expensive, and choices few. The Super 8 seems to be going for $123, including tax. If you buy the points today with an AMEX card, that same room will cost you $86. That's a nice savings -- and probably better than what you could do anywhere else -- but not exactly "exciting." And this is a particularly "good" redemption -- 98% of them are likely to be worse.

I'm sure there are also some overseas deals (maybe on Tryp hotels?) that could be good. But they're going to be very property specific.

Bottomline, Wyndham should be selling their points for less. Which is why they're not too popular today.
I don't consider New York City some "unusual" or remote destination. That's the reason I just bought the maximum number of Wyndham Rewards point packages. The normal selling price for Wyndham Rewards points is $11.00 per 1,000 points - a terrible value. But with the 10% Amex discount, I paid $5.40 per 1000 points ($324.00 for 60,000 points).

That means you can book the Tryp Hotel Times Square South in NYC for $162.00 per night (30K points per night). Try finding that price or less in NYC during summer or fall for the Tryp hotel or even other Wyndham hotels. You can't. And on many dates, you will pay twice that price or even more if you don't use points.

Another reason to buy points before you stay is to meet minimum spend or to be exempt from the Qualifying Dollars requirement for Delta and United elite status. I'm working my way to $25K spend on my Delta Amex right now because my MQDs will be less than $2K this year, which would mean that I normally drop from Diamond Medallion to non-elite status! A mere Kettle.
Old May 24, 2014, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DCBob
I don't consider New York City some "unusual" or remote destination. That's the reason I just bought the maximum number of Wyndham Rewards point packages. The normal selling price for Wyndham Rewards points is $11.00 per 1,000 points - a terrible value. But with the 10% Amex discount, I paid $5.40 per 1000 points ($324.00 for 60,000 points).

That means you can book the Tryp Hotel Times Square South in NYC for $162.00 per night (30K points per night). Try finding that price or less in NYC during summer or fall for the Tryp hotel or even other Wyndham hotels. You can't. And on many dates, you will pay twice that price or even more if you don't use points.

Another reason to buy points before you stay is to meet minimum spend or to be exempt from the Qualifying Dollars requirement for Delta and United elite status. I'm working my way to $25K spend on my Delta Amex right now because my MQDs will be less than $2K this year, which would mean that I normally drop from Diamond Medallion to non-elite status! A mere Kettle.
Pay $162 for a NYC hotel night in the summer time? That sounds like a waste of money to me. I routinely do way better via Priceline hotel bookings or otherwise and end up in comparable or substantially better hotels at higher demand times of the year than the summer time in the city when business demand is down and well-off tourists try to get out of cities.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCBob
This is just a time-shifting argument for spend, right? Why not just go buy GC's for your favorite restaurant / supermarket if the objective is just to shift 2015 costs into 2014. i.e. what does this have to do with Wyndham points?
Old May 24, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Pay $162 for a NYC hotel night in the summer time? That sounds like a waste of money to me. I routinely do way better via Priceline hotel bookings or otherwise and end up in comparable or substantially better hotels at higher demand times of the year than the summer time in the city when business demand is down and well-off tourists try to get out of cities.
I did the numbers last week, and it appeared $160 per night in Manhattan was the best value you could hope for from the Wyndham points deal, and you're right, you can do better than that through other channels and if you're patient--even Groupon runs deals with hotels like the Doubletree Chelsea that can be better than $160 per night.

Valid comparisons are not just with a particular hotel's rates or even the properties within a single chain. If you can get a decent hotel in Manhattan for $130/night in cash--which you can, if you're patient--then it's just not a judicious use of points.

Different story a year or so ago when many of these Wyndham properties in Manhattan were 16K. Then, the DG deal with an Amex card meant you could get a room in Manhattan for less than $100 per night. And, obviously, a different deal if you can snag a room during a high-demand period for 30K if the general rates are more like $250, but if that's the case, you're more likely to see restricted award availability anyway.
Old May 25, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
I am picky about where I stay - I'm not going to spin the wheel and settle for an anonymous Priceline hotel that I don't want. And, even more importantly, there are plenty of dates where you can't get any 4* midtown hotel for under $300. For example, June 2-4, when I have to be there. That's one time that it will be well worth it to use points. And may I mention that October is also a month of VERY HIGH demand in NYC? I understand that doesn't fit your situation. I'm just trying to give my point of view, which seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.