Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are you NOT willing to do for extra miles/points/status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

The things we do to earn extra miles/pts/status: mileage runs, mattress runs, applying for tons of credit cards, VRs and GCs - we can all relate to some of these. They come at a price however. They take time and sometimes limit our choices. We each decide what's worth it and what's not.

I thought it would be fun to compare which aspects of your time and choice you feel are not worth it. For me, the dining experience is a priority and I'm not willing to dine at a mediocre restaurant just for extra points. Having that choice and flexibility is important to me. I'm also not keen on paying full price for hotels in order to earn status when I can get them for 1/2 the price on Priceline, or as I've been doing more and more - find great hosts on Airbnb for a low price.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
I've been slightly tempted to engage in mileage runs, but I've never found the "killer deal" worthy of the effort. That, and the fact that something in the back of my brain starts saying--"you're getting a bit too obsessive with this game, Uhclem!)

Another thing I won't do is "like" a company on Facebook. Clearly, my life is probably an open book (particularly to the NSA), but I prefer to keep my points obsession separate from my social life.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I do a lot of market research activities for points/miles/GCs and will give my opinion about most subjects. But while I'll gladly trade my opinion on feminine hygiene products, I won't talk about the 'intimacy' realm. I also won't do activities where they want to install a 'small program' to track my internet browsing so they can analyze the data for whatever marketing purposes.

I also won't eat at mediocre restaurants for miles. We aren't rich enough to justigy a poor experience eating out, bonus points/miles or not.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA1K
I will not engage in surveys and market research mostly due to time constraints. I won't dine for points unless I already like the restaurant due to previous experience there. I won't online shop for items that offer some very attractive point opportunities unless it is the same or lower price than I can get at a local store and I really need it.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Mileage runs.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
The Costco gambit
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I won't buy multiple cheap products that have to be physically shipped separately such as the Lifemiles Shopping promo last year ($1 chapsticks, etc) because of the waste of all that packaging material and the unfair burden to the shops who have to pay for staff to package it up and pay for shipping.

I will buy multiple electronic items such as e-books, itunes or donations that don't need humans to process them and are delivered by email.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:55 am

i refuse to join facebook, so i necessarily must pass on any mile, point, or freebie opportunity that requires a facebook "like."
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:56 am

Not willing to marry, just to get half the miles in a divorce.

...unless she's hot

...or has higher status than me.

Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:08 am

But you cant marry into status... :/
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Fly in international Y, as it defeats the purpose of earning miles: to avoid international Y.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I also won't do activities where they want to install a 'small program' to track my internet browsing so they can analyze the data for whatever marketing purposes.
+1
I also won't eat at mediocre restaurants for miles. We aren't rich enough to justify a poor experience eating out, bonus points/miles or not. +1
Originally Posted by rodjune
I will not engage in surveys and market research mostly due to time constraints. +1
Originally Posted by italdesign
mattress runs,
I'm also not keen on paying full price for hotels in order to earn status when I can get them for 1/2 the price on Priceline, or as I've been doing more and more - find great hosts on Airbnb for a low price.
A big +1 here too

Constantly churn credit cards. I have had 6 in the last 13 years - more than enough.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Constantly churn credit cards. I have had 6 in the last 13 years - more than enough.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:21 pm

6 credit cards in 13 years? Should be more like 13 cards in 6 months.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR

we got a hardcore churner right here. aren't you afraid of the cardinals? i only do 1 card in 10 years and i'm already biting my nails for the next decade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.