Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bad medical news. Help me transfer points/miles to wife's account....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad medical news. Help me transfer points/miles to wife's account....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
I'm sorry to hear about your news and wish you all the best.
There is one way to transfer Amex MR points between spouses. If your wife has an Amex MR earning card and if you are an AU on her account, you can contact MR and request to have your points transferred to her account. Note that you would need to do this before closing your Amex account. I have done this a couple of times and it has always worked.

Last edited by I Love to Travel; Sep 13, 2013 at 10:20 am
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by mbece
Hi, Anthony. I'm afraid I know nothing about the best way to go with the miles transfers, but my thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult times.

Same from me.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by atwnsw2
I always thought the airlines would find out if somebody passed away through social security lists or ???. Am I wrong?
Generally, the airlines don't know until they are told. They do not actively seek out this information, mainly because most untouched airline miles will expire in 18-24 months.

However, the one issue that the OP needs to deal with is having airline and hotel co-branded credit cards. You may want to make sure that they are all JOINT accounts because, if you have to inform them that the cardholder has died, then they might just send that information over to the airline.

That said, life is short and you are in my prayers.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: MR rewards
Dear sir hope you get well soon .. and you'll enjoy your miles

The easy best why is to give her your accounts and passwords she can book for her self or for others by your points online or by calling them ..
got virgin atlantic and i can book for any one, also emirates sky wards just call them and book by miles to any one so easy never have problem ^
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:50 am

I am sorry to hear of your news. I would not notify any airline as most airlines have now started to charge fees to transfer miles. I like the previous suggestions to give your password and login information to a family member. Once again I am so sorry.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to hear the bad news! Good luck with everything.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Sorry to hear about your news. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

AA 150k
BA 133k
Delta 363k
Southwest 36k
United 138k
Amex MR 100k - wait for a transfer bonus, then transfer to your wife
HHonors 88k
Starwood - Already Transferred

As another member posted above - I think you should just give your wife your username and password to your accounts. I think it would be easiest.

I'm not sure if this is possible but you may be able to combine accounts?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:00 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by daprophecy
Sorry to hear about your news. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
AA 150k - problematic, try a paypal account or debit card in a joint account
or get credit card for him where She is primary & he is AU
BA 133k open a household account
Delta 363k just use them or cash out gift cards
or
wait for a transfer bonus, then transfer to your wife

Southwest 36k use them when needed
United 138k login to account and use any credit card for fees
Amex MR 100k - wait for a transfer bonus, then transfer to your wife's BA/ your DL or combine account balances - Amex will do it rarely if both are users on each others account and are married
HHonors 88k use them - no issues
Starwood - Already Transferred
As another member posted above - just give your wife your username and password to your accounts and show her how to use them

Last edited by ffI; Sep 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:02 am

Other option is redeem for relatives/friends who also have miles in their accounts now and ask them to redeem tickets for your family at a later date. Of course, you have to trust them to do the right thing at a later date and there are no guarantees, but if you are not willing to take a chance on giving her username/password and relying on airline to not ask for credit card etc. and be able to redeem miles when needed.

Edit - Did not mean to sound cold. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and hoping that you are able to recover fully and enjoy these miles with your family to the full.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Best of luck to the OP!

I think Delta Airlines is the only one that explicitly (and recently!) say that when you pass away, your account/miles are dissolved.

I suggest the OP actually call each airline/hotel and ask for their policy. It might be a free transfer in this situation...

Also, I agree with the other poster who pointed out that certain airline/hotel website(s) don't give you the option of providing a credit card for taxes/fees that isn't in the acccount holder's name. In fact, I know for a fact that ICH/IHG (Holiday Inn/Intercontinental) always hold a reward stay reservation under the member's name. You can add secondary guests, but sometimes, it doesn't stick, and sometimes, the hotel doesn't read/recognize the secondary guest names, and may insist on the reservation holder be present to check-in. I've ran into this problem once before...My "secondary guest" had to have the hotel call the cellphone on record to reach me to confirm the reservation. Its rare, but these problems exist.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: Far too many
Amex MRs

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
I'm sorry to hear about your news and wish you all the best.
There is one way to transfer Amex MR points between spouses. If your wife has an Amex MR earning card and if you are an AU on her account, you can contact MR and request to have your points transferred to her account. Note that you would need to do this before closing your Amex account. I have done this a couple of times and it has always worked.
First, I wish you a long and happy life whatever you have been told.

Second, two posters on this thread have said that MRs cannot be transferred from your to your wife's account. My experience has been exactly the opposite, and as above: transfers between my wife & I, both of whom are AUs on each others accounts, has been completely seamless. One call to Amex, and it is done instantly.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Quote:

Originally Posted by mia

Probably not...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Scratch the gift card idea. Other ideas for paying the taxes on the awards?
I'm not aware if this limitation with AA, but you could always use a prepaid visa gift card. You'll have to register a zip code to it, but online retailers will receive an "approve" response when any name is used as long as the zip code matches.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
CMH - a correction on the use of AA miles by a family member - I did use her card just didn't need to show it at the airport.

That must be a security measure. I guess it would work if you have a joint card not sure if authorized user works as well. Sorry about that!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
I am so sorry to hear about your situation and can only hope that things improve. As others have said, get a second and third opinion and if the consensus is the same, then do the best you can to enjoy the time you have in the here and now with your family.

When my father suffered kidney failure we were told he'd die at the hospital. He fought like crazy and through a lot of care and research, he went on to go back home and lived for two more years. He and my mom counted each of those days as a blessing.

As far as the FF miles go, be sure your wife knows that she can order credit cards for authorized users on any of her accounts. She may need one with your name on it to pay for fees and taxes on award tickets booked from an account in your name. (The Social Security Administration lets all banks and credit card issuers know when someone dies and credit cards in that person's name will be cancelled so it's best to order the authorized cc after death. You don't need to provide an SS# for authorized user cards so the issuer really has no idea who it's for.)

My father gave me access to his AA account and the past two times I booked tickets from the account, I had to use a credit card in his name. Your wife may not need the card, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I hope that the two of you can spend as much time together as possible now and best wishes for the future.

Andrea
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold | Club Carlson Gold | Le Club Platinum | British Airways Silver | * Alliance Gold |
I am so sorry to hear this. Keep fighthing!

I am not sure if this is any help but on British Airways you could open a household account.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb

* For up to seven members living at the same address
* Your children can join too
* Any member over 18 can spend Avios

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.