FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Advice: First class to Germany on points? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1484571-advice-first-class-germany-points.html)

dmurray1414 Jul 13, 2013 11:44 am

Advice: First class to Germany on points?

Hey guys, looking for some help here. I have about 160k MR and 100k UR points, trying to plan a trip to Oktoberfest from JFK this year. Trying to figure out my best option for 2 first class tics JFK-MUC or JFK-FRA. Any ideas? I almost transferred all my MR to Avios during the 35% promotion, but I'm glad I didn't now - I can't find any BA awards.

I would love to try and get an SQ A380 suite, but it looks like there's a waitlist - and I don't want to commit to transferring to KrisFlyer without knowing I have a flight.

Any other good options? Paying with all points (plus taxes, obviously) would be nice, but fare + upgrade is fine too.

Thanks

benzemalyonnais Jul 13, 2013 12:30 pm

UR to UA will be able to book some kind of LH flight T-14 most likely. You'll need a few more UR before you can book that. It would be helpful to not just limit yourself to JFK flights, but also allowing reasonable alternatives like BOS, WAS, CHI, etc.

That's only 1 ticket though.

I'm not sure I'd pay the BA surcharges, although some will. They most likely will open up some availability between now and October

xiKiNGix Jul 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais (Post 21090673)
UR to UA will be able to book some kind of LH flight T-14 most likely.

Given there's a fairly significant event OP is trying to travel for, I wouldn't count on it.

eponymous_coward Jul 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by dmurray1414 (Post 21090477)
Hey guys, looking for some help here. I have about 160k MR and 100k UR points, trying to plan a trip to Oktoberfest from JFK this year. Trying to figure out my best option for 2 first class tics JFK-MUC or JFK-FRA. Any ideas? I almost transferred all my MR to Avios during the 35% promotion, but I'm glad I didn't now - I can't find any BA awards.

I would love to try and get an SQ A380 suite, but it looks like there's a waitlist - and I don't want to commit to transferring to KrisFlyer without knowing I have a flight.

Any other good options? Paying with all points (plus taxes, obviously) would be nice, but fare + upgrade is fine too.

Thanks

You willing to fly in C and/or connect rather than the nonstop? That opens up options and reduces your mileage costs.

jacknyoc Jul 13, 2013 2:51 pm

First class to Germany on points?

EWR also decent option for LH flights

DFWsakp Jul 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais (Post 21090673)
UR to UA will be able to book some kind of LH flight T-14 most likely. You'll need a few more UR before you can book that. It would be helpful to not just limit yourself to JFK flights, but also allowing reasonable alternatives like BOS, WAS, CHI, etc.

That's only 1 ticket though.

I'm not sure I'd pay the BA surcharges, although some will. They most likely will open up some availability between now and October

BA surcharges will be huge.
I would totally avoid them for TATL and use the Avios only for domestic flights.

LizzyDragon84 Jul 13, 2013 4:32 pm

As of last year, SQ was blocking partner redemptions for the suites and also first class on some planes.

satman40 Jul 13, 2013 5:01 pm

UA has a place for me and my wife this year, and staying at
angelo Hotel Munich Leuchtenbergring

FC keep opening and closing, but we did find a spot. out of IND/MUC

whimike Jul 14, 2013 2:49 am

Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84 (Post 21091699)

As of last year, SQ was blocking partner redemptions for the suites and also first class on some planes.

He isn't attempting a partner redemption. MR transfers to KrisFlyer.

xooz Jul 14, 2013 8:09 am

Not sure of your schedule but if you have time you can expand your options by flying to other EU cities and flying LCC to Munich. My trip to Octoberfest last year started with flights to the UK, took in a football match, then on to MUC from Manchester on Monarch airlines.

Bottom line is that you may be able to bundle a cheap LCC fare with a TATL award and avoid fees that will pay for a LCC fare.. or you may be able to add some other activity that would be fun.

dmurray1414 Jul 15, 2013 7:11 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am certainly not opposed to a connecting, was planning on it actually.

dmurray1414 Jul 15, 2013 7:13 am

Originally Posted by whimike (Post 21093388)
He isn't attempting a partner redemption. MR transfers to KrisFlyer.

Correct, looks like it would be about 220k KrisFlyer points, which should be do-able within the next month or two, but again, there's a waitlist and it seems like I need to have the points in the account to get on it (it just sits there when I click to book).

22calbr Jul 15, 2013 7:25 pm

I think I read somewhere tatl flights on air Berlin will not be charged fuel surcharges while redeeming with avios.

Edit: articles a bit dated but here's some info.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...el-surcharges/

benzemalyonnais Jul 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by 22calbr (Post 21103084)
I think I read somewhere tatl flights on air Berlin will not be charged fuel surcharges while redeeming with avios.

Edit: articles a bit dated but here's some info.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...el-surcharges/

But AB doesn't have F, and has a J product that isn't any better than United.

LM225 Jul 16, 2013 7:37 am

What's the best way to snag a RT in LH F, if you're going for longer than a week or so? Even if you book the outbound in F, it'll be tough to get any availability on the return before travel begins (correct me if I'm wrong, but if UA is like US, you can't make changes after start of travel). Is booking the trip as separate OW tickets the best way to accomplish this, or is there another program/trick here?