Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Advice: Earning miles for UK citizens

Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm trying to help out a friend with collecting airline miles for an upcoming trip but he lives in the UK and can't sign up for the same credit cards as me. Is there a thread here that tracks deals for UK citizens? I can't seem to find any really good deals online.

Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: UA, BAEC, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by raj121
Hi,

I'm trying to help out a friend with collecting airline miles for an upcoming trip but he lives in the UK and can't sign up for the same credit cards as me. Is there a thread here that tracks deals for UK citizens? I can't seem to find any really good deals online.

Thanks
A bit more detailed information would be helpful i.e Which airline miles does he want to collect ? , is he already collecting miles in a particular scheme ?

When does he want to travel ? What class of seat ? Where does he want to travel to ?

UK CC mileage deals are not in the same league as for example USA ones (only wish they were)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

The trip is from London to Dar Es salaam. I have checked that BA doesn't fly to that destination. For Miles & More I found that the trip can be made with 35k miles with FlySmart option (which can only be booked 2 weeks before departure) or the regular Economy flight would require 40k miles. Plus another 18k to avoid the taxes. Frankly, just getting the 40k seems difficult to me. He has about 6-7k in miles & more that I know of. Ideally the trip would be in October this year so he doesn't have a lot of time either. I know its a tough one but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Google headforpoints
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I would think it would be very difficult to obtain the required m&m miles for this trip

m&m credit card would give a good boost if enough was spent on the card within a specified time but even that would not be enough

it is much easier in the uk with baec and avios

Last edited by jacobitetraveller; Jul 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm Reason: missed a bit out
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:29 pm

If the application criteria can be met ......

SPG Amex.............20000 points for £1000 spend within 3 months (£75.00 fee annual fee)

20k SPG = 20K M&M (+ 5k extra for converting 20k) = 25K + (1k Spend)= 26k

+ existing M&M points .......its getting there !!

If there is married partner at the same address both could apply for the card. Free transfers between married couples.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by altyrocket
If the application criteria can be met ......

SPG Amex.............20000 points for £1000 spend within 3 months (£75.00 fee annual fee)

20k SPG = 20K M&M (+ 5k extra for converting 20k) = 25K + (1k Spend)= 26k

+ existing M&M points .......its getting there !!

If there is married partner at the same address both could apply for the card. Free transfers between married couples.

Thanks! SPG Amex (26k) + M&M Amex (7k w/ spend) + existing points should do it.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...en&cid=1000243

I don't know why my friend seems to think that Amex cards aren't widely accepted in London and he's hesitant to apply for them. from what I've read about 80% of the retailers there will accept Amex. I guess this is his option if he wants to save the money.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... Is there a thread here that tracks deals for UK citizens?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

This thread did, but the OP relocated to another country and it has not been kept current:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...solidated.html

There are also a number of threads in the British Airways forum, some of which mention other rewards programs.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:53 pm

Thanks! SPG Amex (26k) + M&M Amex (7k w/ spend) + existing points should do it.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...en&cid=1000243

I don't know why my friend seems to think that Amex cards aren't widely accepted in London and he's hesitant to apply for them. from what I've read about 80% of the retailers there will accept Amex. I guess this is his option if he wants to save the money.
Re using Amex @ retailers, I have found that all the major supermarkets accept Amex, for us that's weekly shop + petrol. If your friend wants to accelerate the spend he could, funds permitting, buy some gift vouchers for a supermarket, and then spend them at his own pace (think that @ Sainsburys you cannot use the vouchers for fuel, not sure on the other chains).

Hope your friend gets the miles he requires........getting a seat for his journey may be another issue sadly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.