MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flyme2
AirMiles reward flights do not earn anything. They are treated as award travel.
Oh? I think I read somewhere that some people got credit with AA and maybe even DL? YMMV?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Oh? I think I read somewhere that some people got credit with AA and maybe even DL? YMMV?
On my past AirMiles reward flights with AC, nothing was credited to Aeroplan. I do have an upcoming AirMiles Delta redemption, and will post any mileage earnings. As an aside, on said DL flights, I was able to upgrade to Comfort+ and request complimentary First class upgrades on these flights due to my Medallion Platinum status.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:18 pm

On my past AirMiles reward flights with AC, nothing was credited to Aeroplan. I do have an upcoming AirMiles Delta redemption, and will post any mileage earnings. As an aside, on said DL flights, I was able to upgrade to Comfort+ and request complimentary First class upgrades on these flights due to my Medallion Platinum status.
What sort of flights do you find of good value, because from my (fairly quick) scan and reading on the subject, the taxes were exorbitant (Aeroplan looks like a deal in comparison).

I thought the hotels gave someone the same sort of valuation as cash miles, so unless I see some good bookings, I'm inclined so spend on a couple of nights of a hotel at some point in the near future.

Thx.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by dominick
What sort of flights do you find of good value, because from my (fairly quick) scan and reading on the subject, the taxes were exorbitant (Aeroplan looks like a deal in comparison).

I thought the hotels gave someone the same sort of valuation as cash miles, so unless I see some good bookings, I'm inclined so spend on a couple of nights of a hotel at some point in the near future.

Thx.
In my case, I seem to remember the extreme edge cases being worthwhile - such as the smaller airlines flying to the North. Since I believe Air Miles is still a revenue bucket, it sometimes has slightly better access than Aeroplan - and since tickets are >$2K if bought with cash (despite the short distance) they’re usually a great value. Of course, you need to actually want to go there...
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by dominick

Thx.
I regard AirMiles as a loyalty program of last resort. Their redemption table is disingenuous as they are actually dynamic, meaning they fluctuate upwards, similar to DL and HH. That being said, I have had success in using them on short haul flights from YUL when other options have been less financially appealing. The flight for which I have used AirMiles was redeemed at the standard redemption rate + $160 CAD in additional fees/taxes. DL redemptions were 32,500 SkyMiles + $84.50 CAD in fees/taxes. Cash fares on DL in the main cabin were $508.65 CAD, or $415.20 CAD in Basic Economy. Bear in mind that my AirMiles booking was for the main cabin, not basic economy. I effectively saved $348.65 CAD using the AirMiles redemption. The value of these AirMiles would effectively be ~.0.19 CAD/AirMile. Comparing the AirMiles redemption to that of the DL is a bit more complicated. I recently redeemed 30,000 SkyMiles for a flight from YUL-PVG in main cabin economy, making a short haul redemption value of 32,500 on a 90 minute flight seem exorbitant. As far as receiving credit for AirMiles redemption flights, I have yet to see that happen. However, this will be my first DL redemption, so I will reserve judgement until they have been flown.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I regard AirMiles as a loyalty program of last resort.
I only use it for cash miles. "Dream Miles" are really "Nightmare Miles" and I find them practically worthless.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I only use it for cash miles. "Dream Miles" are really "Nightmare Miles" and I find them practically worthless.
But to my point earlier, it seems as though hotels and car rentals (not flights unless certain circumstances) value the miles very near or at the same levels as cash miles.
Am I missing something?

I have 7k miles and could get a hotel that costs between $600-800 in most cases I look... valuing them at $0.10 per mile.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dominick;30923411[left
I have 7k miles and could get a hotel that costs between $600-800 in most cases I look... valuing them at $0.10 per mile.[/left]
At 95 Cash Miles for $10, that's almost equivalent. I redeemed 1,800 AirMiles, so my value, given the cash fare, was almost twice that. So yes, a good Dream Miles redemption can be nightmarish to find, but there are some values out there. I don't go out of my way to collect them, but just showing your AirMiles card and paying with your favourite CC, is an easy double dipping situation.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Not so.

AirMiles reward flights do not earn anything. They are treated as award travel.
I have always got frequent flier miles on airmiles tickets. You need to check the ticket terms prior to booking. I have noticed over the last year that itins that are all Lufthansa operated flights usually state that the ticket will not earn miles, but if the first leg is operated by AC the terms do not state this.

2 years ago we did YVR-YYZ-FRA-AGP/BCN-FRA-YVR first leg on AC rest on LH and got ff miles TK for me and split AC and UA for my wife. We will be flying to Turkey this spring, originally with AC first leg to FRA, and rest on LH, but due to schedule changes are now on all LH plus one TK leg from IST to Izmir due to LH no longer flying to Izmir, so will be interesting to see if we still get our ff Miles.

Last edited by tobegold; Mar 26, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by tobegold
Not so.
From having taken many AC AirMiles redemption flights and never having earned anything on Aeroplan, this has been my anecdotal experience. As I mentioned upthread, I will soon be testing my first DL redemption. On what airline(s) have you received credit?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
From having taken many AC AirMiles redemption flights and never having earned anything on Aeroplan, this has been my anecdotal experience. As I mentioned upthread, I will soon be testing my first DL redemption. On what airline(s) have you received credit?
AC and LH, always on flights to Europe including connections within Canada and Europe. About 12 years ago was even able to use upgrades to business class on AC from YVR to LHR for wife & son (came through last minute at the gate), I was travelling with them on a separate ticket (RBC Avion redemption) which was upgraded months prior. This was when upgrades were generous compared to now on AC. Always check ticket terms as often they explicitly state the ticket will not earn miles, especially on an all segment operated by LH issued ticket.

In addition to our trip to Turkey, we redeemed for a trip to Australia on Air New Zealand for the fall. The BMO Airmiles World Elite card giving effectively 2 for 1 redemptions on both trips. Unfortunately the fare bucket on Air NZ earns nothing on TK but gets 25% on UA.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:47 am

With Air Miles redemptions you generally won't earn in the operating airlines program (for the most part). So flying AC will not earn you miles on Aeroplan but it might on LH Miles & More. Same with Delta - it might earn with Flying Blue.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Question re: CC's + PP Membership...

Had an AMEX Plat w/ the PP membership. Just cancelled the Platinum.
Does the PP Membership assoc. w/ this card continue for the full year or does PP know when I cancel the Amex card?

Presuming PP does get cancelled simultaneously with the AMEX, I do have a Scotia Passport Visa Infinite w/ 6x PP visits but not sure how I go about linking that or if it's a separate account?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:21 pm

I had AMEX plat last year and PP was cancelled with it.
You should be able to check your PP membership when you login on their website.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
....have a Scotia Passport Visa Infinite w/ 6x PP visits but not sure how I go about linking that or if it's a separate account?
Each Priority Pass membership requires a separate UserID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.