Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: *void
Looks like the FFP wars are heating up. RBC have a 2 week promotional offer for their Avion Infinite Visa, with 25K points and FYF, with a minimum spending requirement of $1000 in the first 90 days:
Get 25,000 Welcome Points Upon Approval? plus get the 1st year annual fee waived? - RBC Royal Bank

• Get 15,000 Welcome Points & The 1st Year Annual Fee Waived Upon Approval* Plus earn 10,000 extra RBC Rewards Points with a Minimum Spend*
  • Offer ends February 28, 2019
  • *To be exempt from the annual fee for one year (the “annual fee waiver offer”) and to receive 15,000 RBC Rewards points (or “welcome points”), your application must be received by the date indicated on the communication you received from us for this offer, and it must be approved by us. Upon enrolment, 15,000 welcome points will appear on your first monthly statement. To receive the additional 10,000 RBC Rewards points (“bonus points”) when you spend $1,000 or more within 3 months of account opening
Avions points can be converted 1:1 to BA Avios points, or you can wait for one of the 30% conversion bonus events, which routinely appear twice a year.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by radoak
anyone else have prob with online sign up for this td card , tries it twice , get 90 percent complete , get to (help us confirm your identity ) doesnt give me anything else.
Originally Posted by NL709
Yes, I've had problems too. I can't submit the application. I only get 90% of the app completed. I've tried using multiple browsers.

I spoke w/ customer service at TD and they are aware of the problem. The rep told me to try again tomorrow.
I've tried the last few days (on multiple browsers), with no success. Get hung up at the 90% mark and clicking "Submit" does nothing.

Anyone found a solution yet?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:44 am

Whoop whoop! I've just added RBC Avion to our very small collection. Great application platform.
Thanks JJJ. It almost feels like old days.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, Avion, Alaska
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
I've tried the last few days (on multiple browsers), with no success. Get hung up at the 90% mark and clicking "Submit" does nothing.

I contacted TD again and they suggested I call in and do the application over the phone. They said to mention to the rep that I'm experiencing technical problems submitting the application. They told me that there is a source code that they can input to ensure that I receive the 30,000 Aeroplan miles and first year free.

Not sure how I feel about doing the app over the phone. I don't want problems down the road because it does say that the offer is online only. I've asked when the problem might be resolved and they don't have an ETA.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:02 pm

When I started applying on line, I got preapproved, and the rest worked the first time, even got an acknowledgement that I'll get the new card in a few business days.WW
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:03 pm

I applied today,directly from the TD website.No problems submitting the application.I received a "pending approval" response....phoned in,answered a few identification questions and approved.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jubberly
I applied today,directly from the TD website.No problems submitting the application.I received a "pending approval" response....phoned in,answered a few identification questions and approved.
Good to hear; there's lots of reports out there of incomplete or "stuck" applications.
Which browser did you use?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:56 am

When I applied for TD Aeroplan Visa (five days ago), I went directly from the TD website as well. It went smoothly. Safari.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I got my application for the TD card in. 10 minutes later my wife was getting nowhere. And still isn't.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:15 pm

I used Safari ad got stuck at 90% of my application. I used the chat, 15 minutes, got the info that the credit inquiry might have already been done, and that a telephone call would be necessary to "complete" the application. Over the phone I had to start fro the beginning though, after having been suggested to go at the branch instead for the application. One hour and a half later on the phone, and the promise that I will get the 30000 miles, I was congratulated (!) for having won the privilege of being a Visa TD customer. No confirmation number available, no employee number, only a first name provided (Emmanuel). Plus I have to pick my card at the branch. Hi JJJ !
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:15 am

DH’s Aeroplan points were set to expire 19 Feb. It was such a small balance I wasn’t too troubled about them. But I did make a token purchase through the Aeroplan e-store (it’s hard to let these things go). That purchase has still not posted. However...

Of interest,
That TD Aeroplan Visa (applied 15 Feb) appears to have saved those Aeroplan points. Zero transactions for the year. Clear expiration. Points are still there. We do not have the Visa card yet so it hasn’t been activated. Certainly nothing has been transferred to Aeroplan as a statement credit or welcome from the card. We can see the Visa card account in our TD web banking accounts.

Cool. Good to know that IT happens quickly somewhere in there. And the no expiration benefit of the TD Aeroplan Visa can happen before the card is even in my hot little hand.

I know it’s very easy to keep Aeroplan points from expiring with the e-store. Still good to know.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
DH’s Aeroplan points were set to expire 19 Feb. It was such a small balance I wasn’t too troubled about them. But I did make a token purchase through the Aeroplan e-store (it’s hard to let these things go). That purchase has still not posted. However...

Of interest,
That TD Aeroplan Visa (applied 15 Feb) appears to have saved those Aeroplan points. Zero transactions for the year. Clear expiration. Points are still there. We do not have the Visa card yet so it hasn’t been activated. Certainly nothing has been transferred to Aeroplan as a statement credit or welcome from the card. We can see the Visa card account in our TD web banking accounts.

Cool. Good to know that IT happens quickly somewhere in there. And the no expiration benefit of the TD Aeroplan Visa can happen before the card is even in my hot little hand.

I know it’s very easy to keep Aeroplan points from expiring with the e-store. Still good to know.
I already received an e-mail from both TD and Air Canada about the benefits of the new card, which should be in the mail.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

There's a new batch of PointBreaks hotel room specials from IHG / Holiday Inn hotels, for now till May 31, 2019.

PointBreaks are reward stays available starting at 5,000 points.
There are offers for 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 points... I'd consider 10,000 or 15,000 as "not bad", but 5,000 can be a really fantastic deal.

If you don't have points, you can purchase points from the IHG website.
Better yet, (I believe) there is a way that IHG members who already have at least 5,000 points can buy 5,000 points for US $40, or buy 10,000 points (2 nights' worth) for US $70. This workaround is discussed in other threads. PM me if you have questions.
Other methods are discussed starting around post 3925 of this thread...

Full list of PointBreaks hotels in Canada, US & overseas:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks ​​​​

Hotels in Canada available for
for 5,000 points:
None

for 10,000 points:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Regina Downtown
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Saskatoon Centre
Staybridge Suites Saskatoon - University

for 15,000 points:
Holiday Inn & Suites Oakville @ Bronte
Staybridge Suites Niagara-On-The-Lake

Last edited by jerry305; Apr 5, 2019 at 12:11 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
anyone apply for the new amex bonvoy card after having had the spg card? want to find out if the lifetime bonus limitation still applies. i logged onto my amex account and noticed the cancelled spg cards were changed to bonvoy cards.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Read news today that AC has signed a new ten-year agreement with AMEX that'll cover their new program in Canada. Totally not unexpected of course, but still nice to see confirmation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.