MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:17 am

I am at a point of confusion about my future card usage. I don't really have a clear path of usage, beyond my PC Optimum Mastercard.

I've been using my Cobalt, but my anniversary date is approaching, and no more bonus points. Not sure if it's worth the fee for the points - especially since most of my grocery spend seems to be going to Loblaws since I got the PC MC. I may churn this one, if the sign up bonus remains.

I have the Avion and WestJet cards, and I am not sure what to do about them, considering the new loyalty program. I was planning to cancel the Avion, but since the announcement of the new loyalty program, I may try to keep it going and see if they will waive the AF. I keep holding on the WestJet card in the hopes of using the companion fare - but two years in a row, it didn't get used. Not really a good use when you consider the AF.

My everyday spends seem to be split between my Cap One Aspire MC and my SPG Amex Biz. Both cards offer an incentive to offset the AF, and I think that's the only way I'll keep a card these days.

I am going to try to do another Alaska MC churn soon - and an SPG personal churn once we figure out what the card changes will be.

Still looking for a no-forex fee card...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
If you’re able to wait a few months, the Brim financial MC might be an ok choice. There is a giant thread on RFD that you can review if you want. Basically, their launch has been a disaster. However, cards do seem to be slowly getting shipped now.

I wouldn’t expect anything quickly, but their no fee, no FX fee card is decent value for use while travelling. There does seem to be some questions around whether it is truly no FX, as they are not going by the MC rate. Anyway, I’ll let you review for yourself.

Otherwise, there is the Home Trust preferred card, unless you live in Quebec.

Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I am at a point of confusion about my future card usage. I don't really have a clear path of usage, beyond my PC Optimum Mastercard.

I've been using my Cobalt, but my anniversary date is approaching, and no more bonus points. Not sure if it's worth the fee for the points - especially since most of my grocery spend seems to be going to Loblaws since I got the PC MC. I may churn this one, if the sign up bonus remains.

I have the Avion and WestJet cards, and I am not sure what to do about them, considering the new loyalty program. I was planning to cancel the Avion, but since the announcement of the new loyalty program, I may try to keep it going and see if they will waive the AF. I keep holding on the WestJet card in the hopes of using the companion fare - but two years in a row, it didn't get used. Not really a good use when you consider the AF.

My everyday spends seem to be split between my Cap One Aspire MC and my SPG Amex Biz. Both cards offer an incentive to offset the AF, and I think that's the only way I'll keep a card these days.

I am going to try to do another Alaska MC churn soon - and an SPG personal churn once we figure out what the card changes will be.

I might give the Westjet card a whirl...I could probably use it.

As for no fee forex fee card how about the Rogers World Elite Mastercard?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:29 pm

I don't like ANY of the no forex options at the moment. I'd rather pay the fee and get incentives elsewhere (like say, with the Cobalt) then have another card that has no rewards I consider useful. I guess I was probably spoiled by Chase's cards, and nothing else measures up...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
[QUOTE=pokee;30089757

Still looking for a no-forex fee card...[/QUOTE]

What about the HSBC Mastercard? 3x on travel and no forex? That is what I am applying for before the promo ends on Sept 4
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
How about this for no-forex: https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/per...nite-card.html

Not great as far as rewards/annual fee, but it does come with 6 free priority pass visits.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
How about this for no-forex: https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/per...nite-card.html

Not great as far as rewards/annual fee, but it does come with 6 free priority pass visits.
​​​​​​
Actually, i applied for this card, but was declined. Household income was enough, but individual was not.

And plus, Scotiabank hates my credit bureaus. Excellent scores - too many credit cards open for their taste...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by nli007
What about the HSBC Mastercard? 3x on travel and no forex? That is what I am applying for before the promo ends on Sept 4
Maybe...how easy is the app? I don't want to dick around with sending them pay stubs/tax returns (like I have to with Scotiabank and then still get declined). I think I've been spoiled with my easy Amex and MBNA churning apps....

My credit score is excellent, but I hold a lot of cards.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:05 am

Has anybody had success with getting the sign-up bonus from the Best Western Rewards® Platinum Plus MasterCard® while already having the card (i.e. signing up for multiples of the card)? If not, what is the shortest amount of time between sign-up, cancellation, and signing up again that has successfully got the bonus?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Amex, FPC, IHG Ambassador, Aeroplan,BA
I don't think you can do multiples anymore. It would have to be 1 Best Western and 1 Alaska but not 2 of each anymore, at least that is what an agent told me a few months ago when I applied for a second Alaska card. ( I have have 3+ at once in the past) I have since changed my strategy and now have one of each, will call in shortly to cancel my Alaska and transfer my credit limit over to the Best Western card, wait about a month and then apply for Alaska again and do the same in reverse and so on.. I have done this successfully twice now. Just make sure you call in to activate your Best Western card and confirm they have your rewards number attached to your app or it may take 4 or more months to get the points and then you have to wait to cancel and switch.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Great offer on SPG Amex personal card

Just got this via email:

Earn a $50 statement credit when you spend $250 or more at SPG or Marriott properties.

Get away and enjoy an SPG or Marriott Rewards property and earn a $50 statement credit. All you need to do is register your eligible Starwood Preferred Guest®* Credit Card from American Express and spend $250 or more (after applicable taxes and fees) on eligible purchases before October 23, 2018.1
It’s easy to earn your $50 Statement Credit.
1. Register your eligible CardRegister your eligible Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express ending in XXXXX during the offer period of August 23, 2018 to October 23, 2018.

2. Make a purchase at SPG or Marriott propertiesUse your registered card to make a single qualifying purchase or cumulative qualifying purchases that total $250 or more (after applicable taxes and fees) during the offer period. This can be achieved by paying for a stay, or making a purchase at a property participating in the SPG or Marriott Rewards programs. Purchases made during the offer period prior to registration of your Card are not qualifying purchases.v

3. Earn a $50 Statement CreditA maximum of one statement credit of $50 will be applied to your account.
View a list of Participating Properties
Register your eligible Card and book your stay today. Register Now Register Now
By proceeding you are agreeing to the ‘terms’ and will be registered for this offer.

Last edited by margarita girl; Aug 23, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:40 pm

Got that offer too with my SPG Amex. That property list though. Could they make it less user friendly if they tried?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SurlyJoe
Got that offer too with my SPG Amex. That property list though. Could they make it less user friendly if they tried?
Same thing happened last time they had a similar offer. I called them and asked them for a sorted list which they gave me and I posted here (or maybe it was the Amex forum). I will call when I have a chance.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:17 am
alc

Anyone can send me the link for this SPG promo? Want to try to register it and see if I will be eligible as I didn't get any email from AMEX on this
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
Anyone can send me the link for this SPG promo? Want to try to register it and see if I will be eligible as I didn't get any email from AMEX on this
It's targeted. The link from my email will take you to the registration for my credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.