Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by radoak
just put my rbc avion pts over to avios , last day for 30 percent bonus, fig i have 3 yrs to use them , didnt want to take chance with my rbc card once yr is up and have to use pts for gift cards which is not great .
You won't as Avios likely to be devalued massively in the very near future.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
its chance i take as my 40000 avion pts are only getting me like $275 in gift cards, looked at few flights out west and 35000 pts and around 230 in taxes doesnt make me want to blow them on a flight right now.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
RBC Avion:
With my 15,008 points, I'm either booking a flight to Toronto (YWG to YYZ = 15,000 + fees), or converting to $150 Westjet dollars... I'll book something on Westjet soon enough.

Today's the last day for the 25,000 FYF offer. I would love to hear a churning success story about holding 2 of these cards at the same time.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
i did have 2 cards same time , how i got my 40000 pts , long story short , phoned rb last yr ask why i never get offer for there credit cards, they said i didnt want email from them , so i asked about getting avion card when it was 15000 pts , told them been with rb for yrs have rsp , us account , investments etc, , asked if they give me card for 1st yr free as seen on here with 15000 pts , so got that card , when 25000 offer came out , got my wife to sign up ,i went for that card also , was shocked when i got my 25000 pts , so i put my pts over to new card , canceled old card prob 3 months , still have my other card .
jerry305 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Just saw that Amex Canada now has KLM Air France as a transfer partner! Guess they are following Delta and trying to take some away from aeroplan! Says 1000MR = 750 FB like Skypesos.

​​​​​​https://milesopedia.com/actualites/flying-blue-nouveau-partenaire-de-transfert-damerican-express-points-privileges
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by radoak
its chance i take as my 40000 avion pts are only getting me like $275 in gift cards, looked at few flights out west and 35000 pts and around 230 in taxes doesnt make me want to blow them on a flight right now.
Transfer them to Avios and use them for short hauls in NA on American airlines or Alaska metal for example return YEG-SEA 15000 points or YEG-HNL 40000 points.You can use also on Brithish airways but for Canada to Europe the taxes are outrageous,but still good use if you want to fly intra-Europe.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by aeroman380
Just saw that Amex Canada now has KLM Air France as a transfer partner! Guess they are following Delta and trying to take some away from aeroplan! Says 1000MR = 750 FB like Skypesos.

​​​​​​https://milesopedia.com/actualites/f...nts-privileges
The timing couldn't have been more perfect although it looks like AMEX pulled the offer for now. Flying Blue just released its promo award this month. For as low as 30,250 miles you can fly YEG to AMS one-way in biz class! Let's hope AMEX put it back on before the promo ends.

Flying Blue Promo Award
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
I am trying to find uses for my avios. I managed to find 7.5k sAAver availability for YYZ-LGA and likewise was able to find it on BA for 7.5k, however, the taxes were $56.50? part of it was airport improvement fee of 25$. Am I doing something wrong? 7.5k+$56 for a $200~ flight does not seem that great?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by cennis
I am trying to find uses for my avios. I managed to find 7.5k sAAver availability for YYZ-LGA and likewise was able to find it on BA for 7.5k, however, the taxes were $56.50? part of it was airport improvement fee of 25$. Am I doing something wrong? 7.5k+$56 for a $200~ flight does not seem that great?
$56 is for airport departure fees out of YYZ. That'd apply for any reward ticket, Avios or not.
prmetime and cennis like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by yerffej201
$56 is for airport departure fees out of YYZ.
It's split between departure fees and U.S. customs and immigration fees.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
The timing couldn't have been more perfect although it looks like AMEX pulled the offer for now. Flying Blue just released its promo award this month. For as low as 30,250 miles you can fly YEG to AMS one-way in biz class! Let's hope AMEX put it back on before the promo ends.

Flying Blue Promo Award
It was transferring 1000:1000 when it went live so they pulled it. Surprised how fast they caught it to be honest lol
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:14 pm

So what is everybody using these days (or contemplating) for everyday spend?

My old combo was a 1-2 punch of Amex SPG (rotate between personal and business) and a rotation of Visa/MC (Alaska, Aeroplan, Avion). I'd throw a Amex Personal/Biz Plat and Biz Gold into the rotation, hit the minimum spend and go back.

But...as we all know, spending on the new Amex SPG is not as lucrative for airline transfers (my only use) and Aeroplan is in flux, so not sure what amount of spend I want to put on those cards.

As it stands, I'm putting spend on the Alaska card, but that'll be gone in 5 months or so when I cancel. I guess in a few more months I'll re-apply for the personal plat.

It just seems like my options are way less exciting/lucrative now. Is it time to get on the travel cashback cards? There's the Cobalt, but I'm stubbornly waiting for the 40k sign-up bonus.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:21 pm

I continue to use my SPG business card for gas and dining as that value (3MR pts) didn't change. Waiting to see what new Marriott cards Amex comes up with. Was using Alaska as my mastercard spend but went back to Cap One Aspire. Thinking about getting the CP Plat business amex so if that happens then I will be spending up to $5000 on that.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
So what is everybody using these days (or contemplating) for everyday spend?

My old combo was a 1-2 punch of Amex SPG (rotate between personal and business) and a rotation of Visa/MC (Alaska, Aeroplan, Avion). I'd throw a Amex Personal/Biz Plat and Biz Gold into the rotation, hit the minimum spend and go back.

But...as we all know, spending on the new Amex SPG is not as lucrative for airline transfers (my only use) and Aeroplan is in flux, so not sure what amount of spend I want to put on those cards.

As it stands, I'm putting spend on the Alaska card, but that'll be gone in 5 months or so when I cancel. I guess in a few more months I'll re-apply for the personal plat.

It just seems like my options are way less exciting/lucrative now. Is it time to get on the travel cashback cards? There's the Cobalt, but I'm stubbornly waiting for the 40k sign-up bonus.
I've been using the AMEX Cobalt, at least for the first year while getting a bonus 2,500 MR Select points when spending $500/mo. May continue using it as an everyday card as food/groceries/restaurants get 5pts/$1. I got the bonus 10,000 pts as well for signing up when it first came out. Not sure if they'll offer that again.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Seriously on the fence about the Amex Plat (personal and business) due simply to the fact I've got a small window to hit the minimum spend as i work away from home, and by away I mean overseas where the opportunity to use the card is negated and with few places accepting the card in comparison to Visa/MC its a real toss up

I've been using the Avion for many years but the returns are diminished unless i convert to Avios, but even then i'm holding out for the increased conversion rate (albeit 30% isn't horrible) and as many have said, anything associated with Aeroplan is a bit of a tenuous venture as well given its status with 2020 right around the corner

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.