MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
thanks for the info on the new Rogers card...looks like a winner for me.

stupid question...the cashback is actual cashback, not just to be applied to your rogers bill right?
Not a stupid question, since it's not an easy answer. The "big print" is that the credit can be applied against any Rogers charges on your card. But the "fine print" allows you to request it as a cashback (or it might be a statement credit) each December. I've never actually tried the latter since I have a Fido bill that more than covers the credit each month, but I think others have posted that they have got it back in December.
grandgourmand likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
each December
In fact it says "before December". So one must call in November.
Toronto1970 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
From the Air Canada Aeroplan forum thread,

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
From April 24 to April 30 earn 5 to 7 Aeroplan miles per $ at Amazon.ca,

Great opportunity for those to test this function out!OFFER DETAILS

Earn 5 Aeroplan Miles for every $1 you spend! Please note the following items are not eligible for the accumulation of Aeroplan Miles: purchase or redemption of gift cards. Sale amount does not include taxes or shipping and handling fees. Please allow 6-8 weeks for miles crediting.

Aeroplan status members also earn 2 Bonus Aeroplan per $, for a total of 7 Aeroplan Miles per $.
grandgourmand likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:02 pm

I know it's not for everyone because of the fee but CIBC has the Aeroplan privilege card offering 50k points again. I like the zone 2 boarding perk.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:17 am

Alaska mileage points question....What is the best card to apply for to transfer points to Alaska. I already have mbna Alaska & I see that SPG has gone to $$ for sign up not points. Is there another card? Cobalt looks like it takes a year to get the sign up points? Thanks for your help!
Old May 1, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CanuckFan
Alaska mileage points question....What is the best card to apply for to transfer points to Alaska. I already have mbna Alaska & I see that SPG has gone to $$ for sign up not points. Is there another card? Cobalt looks like it takes a year to get the sign up points? Thanks for your help!
Wait until the new SPG card gets introduced in August, probably
Old May 2, 2018, 3:43 am

You can transfer AMEX to SPG. From SPG, either convert it straight to AS or through Marriott Travel Package if you have enough points.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
You can transfer AMEX to SPG. From SPG, either convert it straight to AS or through Marriott Travel Package if you have enough points.
Are the Cobalt & Gold rewards cards the only ones with sign up points from amex right now that transfer to SPG? And they are 2:1 correct?
Old May 2, 2018, 11:44 am

Are the Cobalt & Gold rewards cards the only ones with sign up points from amex right now that transfer to SPG? And they are 2:1 correct?
All Amex points convert to SPG.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

RBC Visa Infinite Avion 25,000 points FYF offer is extended until May 31.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry305
I think I read on RFD that people who used the link with the affiliate code removed did not get the bonus automatically - I personally used the Rewards Canada affiliate link because of this.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
But the "fine print" allows you to request it as a cashback (or it might be a statement credit) each December. I've never actually tried the latter
I've always done that. Never had a problem.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:00 pm

Hey all - long time lurker, first time poster
Has anyone recently applied for the 20k SPG signup bonus for the SPG Amex intended for previous marriot visa holders (however it is publicly available)
Cant post the link yet but if you google "HURRY – Last Chance to get the Starwood American Express Credit Card!" you'll see it on the Canadian kilometers blog, which sends you to amex official website with the offer still there.

I've never had an SPG Amex before (didn't have the marriot visa either) and i'd like to apply if I would be able to actually get the 20k points. The statement credit isn't worth it, and I already have Amex Cobalt and Biz Plat, so I'd only want this for the 20k SPG.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by pointsbrah
Cant post the link yet but if you google "HURRY – Last Chance to get the Starwood American Express Credit Card!" you'll see it on the Canadian kilometers blog, which sends you to amex official website with the offer still there.
I see a blog post that says, in bold,
Update – This Offer is no longer available. View the current offer here

The link takes me to Amex's website, with the new offer.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:15 pm

Why doesn't YYZ get any "love"?

After reading that YVR is getting a Lufthansa A350 flight I wondered why Toronto never gets the good planes/first class/good airlines. Consider:
Cathay only does business class (YVR gets first via New York flights)
Korean doesn't provide their Kosmo suites in first
Lufthansa doesn't offer first class
There are no A350s to/from YYZ (although Philippine Airlines indicates it will in 2018)
It doesn't get ANA, JAL, Singapore, Swiss (not enough demand? AC monopoly?)

Perhaps it's a simple explanation.

Last edited by Watkin; May 21, 2018 at 1:20 pm Reason: formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.