MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:29 pm

i thought u could also , i read the fine print says good for taxes , i phoned back scotia rewards 4 diff times , was told by 2 persons that i could use them ,was told by 2 that i could not use them to pay for taxes, i booked flight anyways and fig i phone up when i get my bill to see if it worked out or not with the pts to pay for it.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:48 pm

You can, I have done once last year cover for Aeroplan reward tickets tax, just wait 10-14 days it will show up online then you can redeem online by yourself, no need to call in..... you better message them get something black and white, even if the rep told you can that maybe all false.

Originally Posted by Allie Abby
i thought u could also , i read the fine print says good for taxes , i phoned back scotia rewards 4 diff times , was told by 2 persons that i could use them ,was told by 2 that i could not use them to pay for taxes, i booked flight anyways and fig i phone up when i get my bill to see if it worked out or not with the pts to pay for it.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:52 pm

Anyone here have tried merge CIBC business and personnel CC Aventura points, I heard it can't be done before but now the policy is changed?

Also for Canada AMEX CC, is it the policy changed? max 4 credit cards per person now? or still 2 cards max?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
We also redeemed the Scotia points against Aeroplan taxes/surcharges from an award booking earlier this year.
Its quite simple. If its redeemable it will show up when you select the option to redeem against travel charges. If it isnt visible, then its not. No need for phone call at all.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
Anyone here have tried merge CIBC business and personnel CC Aventura points, I heard it can't be done before but now the policy is changed?

Also for Canada AMEX CC, is it the policy changed? max 4 credit cards per person now? or still 2 cards max?
CIBC Biz and personal aventura can be merged as long as the primary cardholder name is the same. If the accounts are linked you can do it online, if not you have to call.

As for AMEX cc, it seems like it's changed I've now seen multiple recent DPs of more than 2 CC.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Well my wife just got an email from Home Trust that she got approved. I guess my churning and burning gave HT heartburn so they denied my application. And she's retired too. Our Amazon card was also in her name after they told me no as well.

Anyway can you preload the HT visa and withdraw cash while travelling without the cash advance $$$$? ATM fees for sure but not the 19.99%. Just curious.

And Rogers will shortly get a call cancelling the card they instantly approved me for.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: aeroplan
mbna links to Alaska Airlines MC

Hi....looking for the link to the MBNA Alaska Airlines World Elite MasterCard but finding that the links I can find are broken. Tried searching the mbna website and am not seeing this card available anymore.
Does anyone have information if this card is not available to CDNS anymore?
thank you
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by jkq2018
Hi....looking for the link to the MBNA Alaska Airlines World Elite MasterCard but finding that the links I can find are broken. Tried searching the mbna website and am not seeing this card available anymore.
Does anyone have information if this card is not available to CDNS anymore?
thank you
It's never on MBNA website
Apply via GCR (for $60 cashback) - not available for QC though
https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...aska-Airlines/

Also, read the Wiki? ;-) it's in there
jkq2018 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I know the answer is most likely know, but does anyone know if there's anything AT ALL known about what's going to happen to the Amex SPG Card come August 1st? As it stands, changes announced today mean that starting August 1st, the card is devalued to 33% of what it currently is.

(All SPG points get converted *3 to the "new" program points, while no earning changes are announced to the credit card)

Also will be interesting to see if the Platinum will stay with "Gold" (essentially a devaluation for Marriott members) or will be upgraded to Platinum level in the new program.

edit:

Found this (so far empty) landing page: http://credit-cards.marriott.com/en-...erred-guest-ca

Last edited by Smiley90; Apr 16, 2018 at 6:21 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:51 am

US SPG amex getting nerfed from 1 SPG to 2 Marriott, I would expect the same here.

They're getting an annual free night up to 35k, here's hoping we get the same

I also expect the amex transfer ratio to go from current 2:1 SPG to 1:1 Marriott.

Amex platinum will likely stay at gold, getting Marriott gold is a one time merger bonus for SPG members, when in reality the requirements to earn Marriott old gold/future platinum through nights is a huge disparity over SPG gold. Compared to today, this is a devaluation, but is essentially just going back to pre merger state
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
I got the following e-mail from Rogers Bank this morning. Amazing news that it's back to 4% cashback for Foreign Transactions (assuming you have the income to qualify for the World Elite Card). I assume the World Elite card has a higher merchant fee to fund this???

(edit - the chart from the e-mail didn't post very well - but you can see the new rates available from the World Elite card in red, and I posted the pic in the following post)

Dear XXX

Recently we told you about some changes coming soon to your Rogers
TM Platinum Mastercard® account, starting May 23, 2018. As a valued Rogers Bank cardholder, we want to ensure that you have the right product to meet your needs. There's never been a better time to consider your options.

Introducing the new RogersTM World Elite® Mastercard®, coming soon!

We are excited to announce that we will be launching a new premium credit card in May 2018 - the Rogers World Elite Mastercard. The Rogers World Elite Mastercard gives you access to our highest rate of cash back rewards, everywhere you shop - with no caps or hidden fees. Plus, there's no Annual Fee!
FEATURES AND BENEFITS Your current Rogers Bank credit cardRogers World Elite Mastercard RequirementsCredit approvalCredit approval PLUS annual personal income $80,000+ or household income $150,000+Annual feeNoneNoneEarn Rate1Starting May 23, 2018, you'll earn:Unlimited cash back rewards on all your eligible purchases made in a foreign currency3%4%Unlimited cash back rewards on RogersTM products and services charged to your card including your Rogers, FidoTM or chatrTM monthly bill2%2%Unlimited cash back rewards on all other eligible purchases1.25%1.75%Standard Annual Percentage Rate (APR) - purchases and fees19.99%19.99%Included Insurance CoveragePurchase Protection and Extended Warranty2NoneOut-of-Province/Out-of-Country Emergency Medical2NoneRental Car Collision/Damage2NoneTrip Cancellation2NoneTrip Interruption2NoneOptional Balance Protection Insurance Add-on✓ Redemption options - With both cards redeem your cash back rewards towards:
  • Your Rogers, Fido or chatr monthly bill.
  • Purchases at Rogers, Fido or chatr branded stores or online at rogers.com and fido.ca.
  • Purchases at Today's Shopping ChoiceTM.
  • Toronto Blue JaysTM tickets.
  • Merchandise at Jays ShopTM.
  • Concession foods at the Rogers CentreTM.
Is the Rogers World Elite Mastercard right for you?

To see if you qualify for a product switch, please select 'Qualify Now' before May 14, 2018. No credit check is required.

Don't forget, the Rogers World Elite Mastercard will launch in May 2018. If you qualify and accept the offer to switch to the Rogers World Elite Mastercard, you will receive your new card in the mail before June 15, 2018. Continue to use your existing Rogers Platinum Mastercard as you do today.
Please select 'Qualify Now' before May 14, 2018. Are you happy with your existing Rogers Bank credit card?

If you are satisfied that your current Rogers Bank credit card meets your purchase needs, then there is no need to take action. You can continue to use your existing card as you do today.

Last edited by Toronto1970; Apr 20, 2018 at 10:41 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Here is the chart from the post above in picture format

Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Are there foreign transaction fees on this card?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Are there foreign transaction fees on this card?
Yes. Generally 2.5%.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:14 am

thanks for the info on the new Rogers card...looks like a winner for me.

stupid question...the cashback is actual cashback, not just to be applied to your rogers bill right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.