MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Noted.
I've revised my post. Thank you.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Brim Financial cashback MasterCard
4% cashback on PAP (pre-approved payments)

Some folks at RFD are getting excited about Brim Financial's cashback MasterCard.
https://brimfinancial.com

The World Elite card features:
2% cashback
4% cashback on PAP (pre-approved payments)... it's written as 2% cash back with a 2X multiplier
$120 annual fee
Reward earning, for some reason, caps out at $25,000 - $30,000 of spend per year.

Example:
Say you've got $1,000 in pre-approved payments per month / $12,000 per year
• On a card where you earn 2%, value of points is $240 per year.
• On the Brim Financial World Elite card, you earn 4%, so $480 per year. Annual fee is $120 per year. Net $360 per year. So at that level of spend, you're netting 3%.

(Brim also has a $0 fee card, that pays 1% cashback, or 2% on PAP (pre-approved payments).)

I'd say the World Elite card makes a lot of sense only if you (or your company) makes between $800 to $2,500 per month of pre-approved payments, and then it makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by jerry305; Feb 9, 2018 at 10:28 am
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305

Some folks at RFD are getting excited about Brim Financial's cashback MasterCard.
[url
https://brimfinancial.com[/url]

2% cashback
4% cashback on PAP (pre-approved payments)... it's written as 2% cash back with a 2X multiplier
$120 annual fee
Reward earning, for some reason, caps out at $25,000 - $30,000 of spend per year.

Example:
• On the Brim Financial World Elite card, you earn 4%, so $480 per year. Annual fee is $120 per year. Net $360 per year. So at that level of spend, you're netting 3%.

(Brim also has a $0 fee card, that pays 1% cashback, or 2% on PAP (pre-approved payments).)

I'd say the World Elite card makes a lot of sense only if you (or your company) makes between $800 to $2,500 per month of pre-approved payments, and then it makes a lot of sense.
You'd have to have a lot of money in pre-approved payments to make this work. I have nowhere near $800 a month in pre-approved payments, so this one is a dud.

Sigh....we need more travel cards..........
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pokee
You'd have to have a lot of money in pre-approved payments to make this work.
You need $500/month to break even (assuming you have a 2% card).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Poster

I know three people with RBC Rewards cards.

One hasn't been able to make use of her points.
One uses his points to buy gift cards. (Ouch.)
And myself, I signed up for the card just to get the signup bonus, and I haven't found a great redemption for the points, and I'll need to do that before the annual fee comes up.

So I think there are a lot of people not making great use of their RBC Rewards points.
This offer might be good for those folks who should just extract some value from their RBC points and be done with it.

https://www.rbcrewards.com/#!/domore

"Special limited time offer – convert your RBC Rewards points between February 1 and February 28, 2018 and receive 15% more in bonus WestJet dollars.†
Promotional bonus WestJet dollars expire one year from date of issue.

All eligible RBC Royal Bank® cardholders and other clients that earn RBC Rewards®points have the option of converting their points** into WestJet dollars‡ which can be applied like cash towards WestJet marketed and operated flights and WestJet Vacations‡ packages, at any time, for travel to any of WestJet's destinations in North America, Mexico, Hawaii and the Caribbean - even during seat sales!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:36 pm

2% cashback
$120 annual fee

Example:

Looks like one other benefit of Brim is the absence of Forex fees.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Looks like one other benefit of Brim is the absence of Forex fees.
Their disclosure statement says they don't charge a fee.

https://brimfinancial.com/legal/
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I know three people with RBC Rewards cards.

One hasn't been able to make use of her points.
One uses his points to buy gift cards. (Ouch.)
And myself, I signed up for the card just to get the signup bonus, and I haven't found a great redemption for the points, and I'll need to do that before the annual fee comes up.

So I think there are a lot of people not making great use of their RBC Rewards points.
This offer might be good for those folks who should just extract some value from their RBC points and be done with it.

https://www.rbcrewards.com/#!/domore

"Special limited time offer – convert your RBC Rewards points between February 1 and February 28, 2018 and receive 15% more in bonus WestJet dollars.†
Promotional bonus WestJet dollars expire one year from date of issue.

All eligible RBC Royal Bank® cardholders and other clients that earn RBC Rewards®points have the option of converting their points** into WestJet dollars‡ which can be applied like cash towards WestJet marketed and operated flights and WestJet Vacations‡ packages, at any time, for travel to any of WestJet's destinations in North America, Mexico, Hawaii and the Caribbean - even during seat sales!
transfering to Asia Miles Avios and AAdvantage isn't enough for people?

Last edited by MileageAddict; Feb 16, 2018 at 11:45 am Reason: removed inflammatory comment
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by keitherson
transfering to Asia Miles Avios and AAdvantage isn't enough for people?
For the vast majority of Canadians, those are all relatively useless.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:58 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Mine went to AAdvantage pre-devaluation and Avios post devaluation. I consider them to be secondary accounts
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
For the vast majority of Canadians, those are all relatively useless.
enjoy westjet dollars then lol. maybe even sunwing and air transat can jump on this boat
pokee likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:05 pm

2% cashback
$120 annual fee

Example:

Who are these guys?

I need a Chase card replacement and it's gonna be either this or Rogers Bank. Rogers Bank seems a bit more established. Brim's website has a lot of things "coming soon" and feels a bit fly by night for a financial lender..
pokee likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
PAP's? Who has a lot of those that are credit cardable. IE utilities. I guess you could pay monthly on car insurance but it's cheaper to do a single payment anyway.

My worry is the 2% Capone and MBNA are dead cards walking. THAT WOULD HURT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
PAP's? Who has a lot of those that are credit cardable. IE utilities. I guess you could pay monthly on car insurance but it's cheaper to do a single payment anyway.

My worry is the 2% Capone and MBNA are dead cards walking. THAT WOULD HURT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I agree. PAP perks are a useless feature, IMO. I don't even have a large enough amount to break even with fees.

It's not looking good for my CapOne 2% Aspire Travel, and the MBNA Alaska seems to be hanging on by a thread, too. The only non-Amex cards I have that seem to have any value anymore are my RBC WestJet and Avion cards...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Who are these guys?

I need a Chase card replacement and it's gonna be either this or Rogers Bank. Rogers Bank seems a bit more established. Brim's website has a lot of things "coming soon" and feels a bit fly by night for a financial lender..
I wouldn't worry about that. In order to become a MasterCard acquirer, they had to prove that there is pretty much 0 chance they ever do bankruptcy (if they ever do, it's because there's a major financial crash that affects multiple financial institutions at the same time).

What pisses me off again ..... is that it's not available to Quebec residents. like all the good cards

Last edited by emilio911; Feb 16, 2018 at 3:48 pm Reason: I was wrong, it's available in Quebec :D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.