Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
Registration will open January 8 and spokesman Kevin Groh said broadly speaking, customers will have to declare they are at or above the age of majority and purchased certain packaged products bread products at an eligible banner store before March 1, 2015.
How would they know we bought bread from Loblaws two years ago?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
How would they know we bought bread from Loblaws two years ago?
Honour system
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Honour system
what could possibly go wrong?

[Edit to add: my reply here is in ernest. it is not sarcasm. i think that publishing that you'll give $25 to anyone who says "yeah, i bought bread at loblaws two years ago" is ridiculous. i'm guessing that a massive portion of those claims will be untrue.]

Last edited by BenSenise; Dec 21, 2017 at 5:06 pm
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Honour system
You mean the same legal system that would say you are committing perjury?

Yes, because we rely on the honour system for convictions of murderers
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by keitherson
You mean the same legal system that would say you are committing perjury?

Yes, because we rely on the honour system for convictions of murderers
Somehow I doubt they are going to be asking for a sworn statement of all the times you bought bread at Superstore. They agreed to a payout to get the Competition Bureau off their backs. Who actually gets the money is immaterial to them.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:36 pm

Let's get back on topic

Last edited by imverge; Dec 22, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Dunno about you all, but I frequent this forum to learn new and better ways of earning points.
So, in the interest of getting this forum back on track, here's an offer for an Aeroplan survey.

Aeroplan survey: earn 100 Aeroplan miles
https://www.aeroplan.com/opinion.do?...id=BAN30000618
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by imverge
Let's get back on topic
which is why we really need a Canada sub-forum where different subjects can have their own threads. i don't think the mods were against it but nobody seemed to be too interested.

let's get a Canada Milesbuss sub-forum!!
imverge, heraclitus and Hyacinthe like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305

Dunno about you all, but I frequent this forum to learn new and better ways of earning points.
So, in the interest of getting this forum back on track, here's an offer for an Aeroplan survey.

Aeroplan survey: earn 100 Aeroplan miles
https://www.aeroplan.com/opinion.do?...id=BAN30000618
Thanks for posting the link, an easy way to get 100 Aeroplan miles.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Alterna Visa Infinite Card

Some folks over at RFD seem to love this card.

2% return on spending. Not everyone is able to get 2% through their other Visa or MasterCard cards, so this reward ratio could be attractive to many.
(I myself get 2% return on the Capital One Aspire (which isn't available for new applications), and on a couple of MBNA cards (which are also grandfathered and no longer available).

If you have a lot of spend and your goal is to maximize your rewards dollars, and you only want to deal with 1 primary card, this might be a good option.
But there's a $120 annual fee.

Last edited by jerry305; Dec 23, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:41 pm

COBALT CARD HOLDERS GET $50 at YYZ!!

Enjoy a Shopping Spree at the Pearson Duty Free

You can earn a $50 (CAD) statement credit! Treat yourself at any participating Toronto Duty Free store at Toronto Pearson International Airport and when you make a purchase of $50 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in a single transaction, you can earn a $50 (CAD) statement credit! Make sure to use your American Express Cobalt Card when making a purchase to be eligible for this offer.

Duty Free store locations* are located in Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 at Toronto Pearson International Airport and are now home to some great luxury fashion brands including Coach, Burberry, Michael Kors, MAC Cosmetics and more.

To take advantage of this offer, spend $50 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in a single transaction using your Cobalt Card at any of the participating Toronto Duty Free stores at Pearson International Airport below and get a $50 (CAD) statement credit. Offer ends February 15th, 2018.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...tinations.html

I'm going through YYZ T1 so this is perfect! The general Duty Free store is run by Nuance which makes a purchase there eligible. Gonna pick up chocolates
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:37 pm

Amex personal platinum card get $200 off $200 @yyz

Terms and Conditions

1 Purchase(s) must be completed between December 15th, 2017 and February 15th, 2018 and subsequently posted to the account to be a qualifying purchase for this offer.

2 The eligible American Express Platinum Card must be used when making qualifying purchases. Only one (1) $200 (CAD) statement credit is available per account during this offer period. The Basic or Supplementary Cardmember would have to make a qualifying purchase of $200 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in a single transaction on their eligible Card at a participating Duty Free location during the offer period to earn a statement credit. Statement credits earned on supplementary card purchases will be issued to the Basic Card account associated with that Supplementary Card. Purchase must be charged to an American Express Platinum Card at participating Duty Free retailers located at Toronto Pearson International Airport. Statement credit may take up to two billing cycles to appear on your statement after the Cardmember has completed a qualifying purchase. The statement credit will be reversed if the qualifying purchase is refunded or cancelled. If a portion of the purchase is returned but the remaining items still total $200 or more, the statement credit will not be reversed. If the statement credit is being applied to a credit card account, please note that this does not satisfy the requirements to pay the minimum due. A statement credit does not constitute a payment. The Cardmember must continue to make separate payments of at least the minimum due in accordance with the Cardmember agreement and account statement. We reserve the right to substitute an American Express Gift Card or cheque in lieu of the statement credit. American Express is responsible for the fulfillment of this offer. In the event that you replace your eligible Card through Amex Bank of Canada because it has been lost, stolen or there has been a fraud event during an Offer, your qualifying purchase will be transferred to your new Card. In this scenario your replacement Card will become your eligible Card. This offer will appear on your statement as “Bonus Credit ‑$200”.

Other personal Amex cards:

$50 off $250+
Amex Plat Biz
Amex Air Miles Plat
Amex SPG
Amex SimplyCash
Amex Choice
Amex Gold
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:10 pm

wow that 200 off 200 is insane. too bad my plat only got 50 off 250. is it targeted?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
wow that 200 off 200 is insane. too bad my plat only got 50 off 250. is it targeted?
I know! Wish I had a personal PLT (I have BIZ for the 25K referrals).

I also have Cobalt so I get $50 off $50 = FREE

No not targeted.

Last edited by imverge; Dec 25, 2017 at 9:59 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
Enjoy a Shopping Spree at the Pearson Duty Free

You can earn a $50 (CAD) statement credit! Treat yourself at any participating Toronto Duty Free store at Toronto Pearson International Airport and when you make a purchase of $50 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in a single transaction, you can earn a $50 (CAD) statement credit! Make sure to use your American Express Cobalt Card when making a purchase to be eligible for this offer.

Duty Free store locations* are located in Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 at Toronto Pearson International Airport and are now home to some great luxury fashion brands including Coach, Burberry, Michael Kors, MAC Cosmetics and more.

To take advantage of this offer, spend $50 (CAD) or more (after taxes) in a single transaction using your Cobalt Card at any of the participating Toronto Duty Free stores at Pearson International Airport below and get a $50 (CAD) statement credit. Offer ends February 15th, 2018.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...tinations.html

I'm going through YYZ T1 so this is perfect! The general Duty Free store is run by Nuance which makes a purchase there eligible. Gonna pick up chocolates
Why not $50 credit at YVR, too?! I could use it!!!

But who's complaining? I've already got a TON of bonus points from Cobalt's 10x the points promo this month! LOVE this card!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.