MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Yeah, found that out last month. Had not been in No Frills for about 5 years at least, and I was reminded why.

Subpar fruit, crowded aisle. The place is just a mess. Then when I tried to pay with Visa, they gave me a look as if I was from Mars and snorted we don't take Visa.

I seriously felt like telling them to just forget it and put all the stuff back on the shelf then, but managed to restrain myself.

I will never be heading back even if they are selling toonies for a loony.
In my experience, the No Frills store vary hugely based on location -- I know some where I will happily get fresh produce if they are on my way, and others I avoid like the plague. Generally I only go to No Frills stores when they're extra convenient (like if they're right around the corner from work) but I love the PC Points program and frequently shop at Fortinos/RCSS/Loblaws. It's one of the only programs I know of where I get rewards (i.e. money back) for buying real, fresh food......it's easy to find sales and rewards for buying packaged, prepared food, but I don't care about that. I want benefits from buying fresh veggies or quality cheese, not just if I buy high-profit, low-nutrition frozen dinners or bags of chips.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
We've gotten back $1140, maybe $140 from the MC 3%. There was a time they were giving points back on the frozen fruit and organic frozen fruit. But it worked for the regular non-organic stuff. At regular prices of $3.99 I was paying $2.20 a bag. The wild blueberries are a steal to begin with and with the 3 of us making shakes we down a lot of that stuff. Organic milk is the cheapest anywhere too and I've been getting 20% off lately, that has to be below cost given the dairy board crap we have to deal with.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:45 pm

has anyone booked travel with there scotia bank amex pts , why i ask is im going to rent a car with ac vactions ,its $100 cheaper than anywhere else i looked , so i phoned scotia rewards , and told them where i want to book a car with and want to pay with pts after i pay for car with my card, guy tells me it could be a couple of billing cycles before all my pts are used to pay for this charge, doesnt make sense to me, if i have enough pts , why dont they just take the pts all at once.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Yes that does seem to be the case. I just redeemed some points against a tax/fees charge on the Scotia AMEX and it did also say it may take several billing cycles before it shows up. So far (its been a week or two) the charge has not been "erased" yet.

Kind of annoying. Not sure what happens if you're about to cancel the card and there's still a pending credit...
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Allie Abby
has anyone booked travel with there scotia bank amex pts , why i ask is im going to rent a car with ac vactions ,its $100 cheaper than anywhere else i looked , so i phoned scotia rewards , and told them where i want to book a car with and want to pay with pts after i pay for car with my card, guy tells me it could be a couple of billing cycles before all my pts are used to pay for this charge, doesnt make sense to me, if i have enough pts , why dont they just take the pts all at once.
Reward worked fine for me.
There was an eligible hotel charge on my October 20 statement; I phoned in to have points redeemed against it.
Scotia Amex took 30,000-ish points out of my account; I received the email confirmation pretty quickly if not immediately.
When the next statement arrived, that amount was credited against my balance owing on the following statement.
So, again, I did pay for that hotel stay, and then got the equivalent ($300-ish) credit on that next statement.
This worked as I expected.

In your case, I don't see why the points wouldn't be used up immediately, either.
The points you're earning on spending in the month right now might not be available until the monthly statement is issued; maybe that's what he's talking about.

Now, that's my experience booking my travel directly with a travel provider, waiting for the charge to appear, and then claiming that as a reward.
If someone wants to use Scotia's travel agency to pay with points, it's possible that that process will take longer.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:11 pm

will book and see what happens , just want to use my pts up.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Reward worked fine for me.
There was an eligible hotel charge on my October 20 statement; I phoned in to have points redeemed against it.
Scotia Amex took 30,000-ish points out of my account; I received the email confirmation pretty quickly if not immediately.
When the next statement arrived, that amount was credited against my balance owing on the following statement.
So, again, I did pay for that hotel stay, and then got the equivalent ($300-ish) credit on that next statement.
This worked as I expected.

In your case, I don't see why the points wouldn't be used up immediately, either.
The points you're earning on spending in the month right now might not be available until the monthly statement is issued; maybe that's what he's talking about.

Now, that's my experience booking my travel directly with a travel provider, waiting for the charge to appear, and then claiming that as a reward.
If someone wants to use Scotia's travel agency to pay with points, it's possible that that process will take longer.
I have the same experience you have, book flights directly with the airline, then apply the points, and the credit gets deducted almost immediately.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:03 pm

Anyone got the BW 60k Points? I got the 20K points and met the 2K spend in 10/15 bill but 11/15 bill came still no additional 40K, I know is such a hassle to call MBNA.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Anyone got the BW 60k Points? I got the 20K points and met the 2K spend in 10/15 bill but 11/15 bill came still no additional 40K, I know is such a hassle to call MBNA.
has it been three months since opening of the card? You might have to wait until your 3rd or 4th statement to get the bonus.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Open question to those who might have done this before....i'm looking to take advantage of the RBC Avion point conversion to BA Avios based on the 1:1.3 conversion ratio as it seems the redemption options for Avion don't meet my requirements for travel.
That said, to my knowledge Avios seems to be the only partner with such a high conversion ratio but the other question is whether or not using Avios has been any easier for people having done the the conversion?
Appreciate any feedback both positive or negative from those in the know

Last edited by Neil791; Dec 2, 2017 at 6:49 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:44 am

It's 1:1.3, not 1:3. That's a big difference
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by crimsona
It's 1:1.3, not 1:3. That's a big difference
good catch....clearly needed more coffee before posting
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Neil791
Open question to those who might have done this before....i'm looking to take advantage of the RBC Avion point conversion to BA Avios based on the 1:1.3 conversion ratio as it seems the redemption options for Avion don't meet my requirements for travel.
That said, to my knowledge Avios seems to be the only partner with such a high conversion ratio but the other question is whether or not using Avios has been any easier for people having done the the conversion?
Appreciate any feedback both positive or negative from those in the know
using BA avios is very very difficult and expensive. we used to get huge value years ago but ba has tightened the thumbscrews. we have an rbc ba visa 241 left and enough avios to do F to europe and back for the two of us but that'll be it for BA.
i put as much of my spend on my amex plat as possible and will review my credit card situation with rbc next year. the game has changed in the last couple of years and getting oversized value out of points/miles is more and more difficult so i'm not sure what our approach will be.
you haven't stated what your end goal is with points. it's hard to devise a strategy without a goal in mind. where do you want to go? europe? asia? north america? when you do travel, are you restricted to certain dates because of holidays or school vacations?
my/our goal is/was to fly to asia and europe in business and first in the world's best products any time. defining your goals helps planning.
also, if you want to fly BA, this is helpful: https://baredemptionfinder.com/
feel free to pm me if i can be of any help
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:48 pm

im wondering the same thing , have 15.000 avion pts , prob not going to use them in next yr and want to cancel my rbc card , so in my case i thought about transfer over to avios , so dont lose my rbc pts , and like to maybe fly aa just in canada or usa , wouldnt the tranfer keep my pts alive longer , any advice if this would be the best thing to do in my case .
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Allie Abby
im wondering the same thing , have 15.000 avion pts , prob not going to use them in next yr and want to cancel my rbc card , so in my case i thought about transfer over to avios , so dont lose my rbc pts , and like to maybe fly aa just in canada or usa , wouldnt the tranfer keep my pts alive longer , any advice if this would be the best thing to do in my case .
I just did the same - transferred my last 75000 avion points over to BA Avios (where I already had a 150k+ balance) because I plan to cancel the Avion next year. The 30% bonus makes it worthwhile and you can usually find semi-decent value for BA points for shorthaul flights (although AA availability is atrocious). If and when BA partners with Westjet to permit redemptions on WS flights, the value of Avios in Canada will go up exponentially. Playing the long game and parking the points in BA (with 30% bonus) rather than in Avion (with annual fee) is probably best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.