MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Its disappeared about 72 hours after launch and hasn't returned. =(
The Marriott Rewards MORE program is a poorly executed program. I couldn't even checkout with their buggy portal. I emailed support and they advised me to complete the checkout without the portal. I made a purchase and didn't receive any points.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by echino
I made a purchase at bestbuy.ca via Marriott More app earlier today, it was 1 point per $2 spent, plus bonus points. All points have instantly posted to my Marriott account when I placed the order.

Now I open the app and bestbuy.ca is gone from the list. Amazon now 6x, was 5x. I am Marriott gold.
When you were making your purchase, did you click 'pay with points' then was able use a credit card to complete the purchase? I am hesitant to press the 'pay with points' button but there isn't any other button on that page that indicates paying by credit card.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
PC Insiders

Loblaws pitches upgraded loyalty program for $99/year for premium perks
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lobl...gram-1.4410033

This announcement is "targeting at PC Plus loyalty members who are also President's Choice Financial Mastercard holders, and banking on their being willing to pay a little bit more, to get more in terms of points and discounts."

For a fee of $99 a year, a new program the retailer is launching today called PC Insiders will give people who sign up discounts and reward points across many of the chain's stores, both in-person and online.
During the pilot program, anyone who signs up will get the following perks any time they use their MasterCard:
  • 20 per cent back in PC points on the essentials such as diapers, infant formula, and all PC Organics products in-store and online.
  • 20 per cent back in PC points on all Joe Fresh products in-store and online at joefresh.com.
  • 20 times the PC points every day when customers shop online at beautyBOUTIQUE.ca.
  • Free Click & Collect pick-up service at nearly 200 locations.
  • Free shipping on all beautyBOUTIQUE.ca and joefresh.com purchases.
  • $99 PC travel credit once a year when booking a trip on pctravel.ca (annual subscriptions only)
So:
• There's a minor possibility that they will make the "once a year" travel credit once per calendar year.
I think all the Amex cardholders will know where I'm going with that one...

• If you paid $99 for a $99 credit at PC Travel, is there a good way to liquidate it into cash or near-cash. Or would you actually use it a future trip?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by alc
BMO World Elite Mastercard Update -- Effective Jan 15, 2018:

- earn 3 BMO Reards points per $1 spend on Travel, Dining, and Entertainment purchase up to $50K per year
- instead of 100 points per $1, it will now be 140 points per $1 (BMO will add extra points to your account to ensure your total points value after Jan 15 will be the same)
- gift card redemption up to 20% fewer points
- 25% few points for BMO investment

and staring Feb 2018, you can reduce your points toward your statement balance.
That's a 40% devaluation...gift cards are inflated anyway even with 20% reduction I wouldn't spent anyway my points on them.For myself most of purchases are on groceries and these are still getting 2 points/dollar the return rate decrease to 1.42% vs 2% as now while only the travel,dining and entertainment are getting 3 points for a 2.14 % return rate.Not sure anymore if with this devaluation is worth to pay the 150/year fee.You need to spend over 10k just to offset the yearly fee
They still gave the 4 Priority pass and their rental car insurance is good but I guess it is time for me to cancel this card.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
PC Insiders

This announcement is "targeting at PC Plus loyalty members who are also President's Choice Financial Mastercard holders, and banking on their being willing to pay a little bit more, to get more in terms of points and discounts."

For a fee of $99 a year, a new program the retailer is launching today called PC Insiders will give people who sign up discounts and reward points across many of the chain's stores, both in-person and online.
During the pilot program, anyone who signs up will get the following perks any time they use their MasterCard:
  • 20 per cent back in PC points on the essentials such as diapers, infant formula, and all PC Organics products in-store and online.
  • 20 per cent back in PC points on all Joe Fresh products in-store and online at joefresh.com.
  • 20 times the PC points every day when customers shop online at beautyBOUTIQUE.ca.
  • Free Click & Collect pick-up service at nearly 200 locations.
  • Free shipping on all beautyBOUTIQUE.ca and joefresh.com purchases.
  • $99 PC travel credit once a year when booking a trip on pctravel.ca (annual subscriptions only)
So:
• There's a minor possibility that they will make the "once a year" travel credit once per calendar year.
I think all the Amex cardholders will know where I'm going with that one...

• If you paid $99 for a $99 credit at PC Travel, is there a good way to liquidate it into cash or near-cash. Or would you actually use it a future trip?
PC travel is a bit of a hassle. If you book flights you can't pick a seat without calling pc travel. They also don't have all the same selection as normal OTAs. I wouldn't sign up just for the credit.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by 604flyer
PC travel is a bit of a hassle. If you book flights you can't pick a seat without calling pc travel. They also don't have all the same selection as normal OTAs. I wouldn't sign up just for the credit.
Everything related to PC/Loblaws is a giant hassle....I tend to avoid that place, and any related promotions!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by pokee
Everything related to PC/Loblaws is a giant hassle....I tend to avoid that place, and any related promotions!
+1. I haven't set foot in Superstore in 2 years, and nothing about PC points makes me want to go back.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
+1. I haven't set foot in Superstore in 2 years, and nothing about PC points makes me want to go back.
I recently went into a local No Frills, simply because I'd never been before, and also because they had some really cheap stuff in their flyer. It was a gong show - from parking to check-out. And then I couldn't use my Amex to pay, so I knew I'd never go back...lol.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I recently went into a local No Frills, simply because I'd never been before, and also because they had some really cheap stuff in their flyer. It was a gong show - from parking to check-out. And then I couldn't use my Amex to pay, so I knew I'd never go back...lol.
Good idea. Can you believe they don't even accept Visa either?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:56 pm

Members of Marriott Rewards and SPG Can Get Exclusive VIP Access to Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Events

Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards, and Starwood Preferred Guests (SPG), including the more than 3.7 million members in Canada, will be big winners with the partnership. Members will be able to redeem points on Marriott Rewards Moments and SPG Moments for once-in-a-lifetime hockey themed experiences with players and legends of the game.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...659322953.html
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by loun80
You can buy gift cards at Loblaws using Visa and spend them at No Frills.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
You can buy gift cards at Loblaws using Visa and spend them at No Frills.
Or you can buy them via ebates.ca and get 1.5% cash back and use AMEX via Paypal
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by loun80
Yeah, found that out last month. Had not been in No Frills for about 5 years at least, and I was reminded why.

Subpar fruit, crowded aisle. The place is just a mess. Then when I tried to pay with Visa, they gave me a look as if I was from Mars and snorted we don't take Visa.

I seriously felt like telling them to just forget it and put all the stuff back on the shelf then, but managed to restrain myself.

I will never be heading back even if they are selling toonies for a loony.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
We do quite well from No Frills. The PC card gets you 3% back even though they up and decided to cut my credit limit by 90% one day without telling me. Go figure.

We joined the new PC "prime" program. We buy a lot of their organics so we will come out ahead. Not huge but with a teenage boy who's discovered hitting the gym eating us out of house and home we'll take every penny. Everything else they offer is useless. My wife shops during the day at the store up the street, it's a nice one. Don't go Thursday nights or on the weekends.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jerry305
PC Insiders

For a fee of $99 a year,
Thanks for your input, all.
But back to my question, which wasn't about Superstore at all. (I dunno that this is the right forum to talk about good & bad about a grocery store.)

I asked if there a good way to turn a credit at one of these virtual travel agencies into cash or near-cash.
I'll take it the answer is "no".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.