MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:10 pm

Spotted in the wild: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...mint-1.4390911
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by flyer05
"Brad Wilson, who lives in Chicago, took advantage of the program, buying three million $1 coins, for which he said he earned a total of four million American Airlines air miles."

this man is a hero
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
have question about putting avion pts over to avios ,long story short , have 15000 avion , got from credit card , not going to keep card , so if i transfer pts over avios that would keep the pts alive for longer if i did not use them , its only getting me a short haul flight for the 15000 , would i be better off to switch , use them at a later time , say with aa , prob wouldnt us british airways.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by radoak
have question about putting avion pts over to avios ,long story short , have 15000 avion , got from credit card , not going to keep card , so if i transfer pts over avios that would keep the pts alive for longer if i did not use them , its only getting me a short haul flight for the 15000 , would i be better off to switch , use them at a later time , say with aa , prob wouldnt us british airways.
fyi. RBC has a promo to transfer Avion points to BA Avios for 30% bonus.

You could switch the Avion card to Rewards +(no annual fee).The points would be transferred to RBC reward points with the switch.....then later on you could switch back to the Avion and the points would transfer back to Avion points.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
yes i knew about the bonus, why i thought about putting the pts over , guess i like to know will i get a better return on the pts if i transfer them to avios, use them for a flight , , im with royal bank but just rather cancel my card , so if i do not use the pts ,im sure i lose them if i do not have card with them ,
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Smiley90
"Brad Wilson, who lives in Chicago, took advantage of the program, buying three million $1 coins, for which he said he earned a total of four million American Airlines air miles."

this man is a hero
I wonder if there are any schemes going on like that now, we could take advantage of? The Stars promo for 15k Aeroplan miles from about 4 years ago, where I'd 'fill-up' the car $3 at a time was the biggest one I've ever exploited.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
fyi. RBC has a promo to transfer Avion points to BA Avios for 30% bonus.
Where is the 30% transfer bonus advertised? The only one I could find says it expires in June 8 2017?

Edit: NM - I found it on the RBC website when I went to convert the points - the bonus started yesterday! YAY! Thanks for the heads up!

*Note: the 'calculation' to converted points is not including the 30% bonus (I just converted mine, and the calculated total did not include the bonus). This was also an issue for the recent MR --> Avios conversion, as well, so I suspect the programmers are just late/absent updating the calculation on the website for the bonus...

Last edited by pokee; Nov 16, 2017 at 11:14 am
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Rewards Canada reports that the Capital One Aspire Travel World Elite Mastercard is no longer available to new customers.
That card is a good 2% earn for me.

The Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard (no Elite in that phrase) got phased out recently too.

http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2017/11...m_campaign=598
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by echino
I made a purchase at bestbuy.ca via Marriott More app earlier today, it was 1 point per $2 spent, plus bonus points. All points have instantly posted to my Marriott account when I placed the order.

Now I open the app and bestbuy.ca is gone from the list. Amazon now 6x, was 5x. I am Marriott gold.
Did Amazon drop out from the Marriott Rewards SHOP shopping program? I don't see Amazon anymore.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:04 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by loun80
Did Amazon drop out from the Marriott Rewards SHOP shopping program? I don't see Amazon anymore.
Its disappeared about 72 hours after launch and hasn't returned. =(
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:13 pm
alc

BMO World Elite Mastercard Update -- Effective Jan 15, 2018:

- earn 3 BMO Reards points per $1 spend on Travel, Dining, and Entertainment purchase up to $50K per year
- instead of 100 points per $1, it will now be 140 points per $1 (BMO will add extra points to your account to ensure your total points value after Jan 15 will be the same)
- gift card redemption up to 20% fewer points
- 25% few points for BMO investment

and staring Feb 2018, you can reduce your points toward your statement balance.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305

This RBC Avion 25,000 point offer was mentioned on another thread:
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/service...ofr2-f-or.html

This offer is 25,000 Avion points. I don't see that the $120 annual fee is waived.

If you walk into an RBC branch and display a competitor's card, and say you want to switch, you should be able to get 15,000 Avion points, with $0 annual fee.

So the comparison is 25,000 ($120) versus 15,000 ($0).
Yes, it does require the time you spend at the branch to do it, though.

Also, the tiers with the RBC Avion program are:
15,000 Short-haul: Canada/United States Within or to an adjacent Province/Territory/U.S. State $350
35,000 Long-haul: Canada/United States Anywhere in Canada/U.S except Hawaii and Alaska $750
etc.

The in-branch offer gets you 15,000 points, which is right at one of the thresholds. My plan is to get my 15,000 Avion points, book a short haul flight (value $350), and call it a day with that card.

If you start with 25,000 Avion points, though, then you need to spend $10,000 more, to earn another 10,000 Avion points, to be able to use all your points.

So, if you're looking for a flight that's gonna be worth close to $750, then that might be the better option.
Does anyone know if this offer is still active? My hubby used the link I sent him to apply recently, and he said the offer online was quoted as 15K sign-up bonus. I'm wondering if he just went onto their website and used their online application, because I see the 25K on this link. Wondering if this specific link needs to be used to get the extra 10K?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Rewards Canada reports that the Capital One Aspire Travel World Elite Mastercard is no longer available to new customers.
That card is a good 2% earn for me.

The Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard (no Elite in that phrase) got phased out recently too.

http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2017/11...m_campaign=598
Wonder if they're going to turf it soon? If so, and the possibility of my Chase cards getting turfed, looks like I'll be using my RBC cards and my Amex cards exclusively going forward. Probably not a bad thing, since I spread out my spend far too much...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pokee
Does anyone know if this offer is still active? My hubby used the link I sent him to apply recently, and he said the offer online was quoted as 15K sign-up bonus. I'm wondering if he just went onto their website and used their online application, because I see the 25K on this link. Wondering if this specific link needs to be used to get the extra 10K?
Yes, if one were to just go browsing from RBC's website, looking for an RBC Visa Infinite, then RBC's basic offer is 15,000 points. You'll need that offer page (or a similar one) for 25,000 points.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pokee
Wonder if they're going to turf it soon? If so, and the possibility of my Chase cards getting turfed, looks like I'll be using my RBC cards and my Amex cards exclusively going forward. Probably not a bad thing, since I spread out my spend far too much...
(Re: Capital One Aspire Travel World Elite Mastercard is no longer available to new customers.)

Cardholders that continue with the card, year after year, should be profitable for Chase.
Cardholders (like me) that don't plan to continue with the card after the first year... aren't.

It's possible that Chase will close that card entirely, but I'd say there's a very good chance they'll just keep those cardholders for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.