MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018) • Which credit card should I get? • Cards with good bonuses • List of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian Kilometers • PointsNerd • Rewards Canada • Don't Call the Airline! • Pointshogger • Canadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
• PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by hktramz
Is MBNA Alaska card discontinued? Sees the mbna link is not valid anymore and their website has pulled this card out..
The "MBNA Alaska Airlines MasterCard" in the Wiki currently has an underlying link pointing to a URL with "src=DAAB57". I don't know who put that in there, but the link used to go to jerry305's post in this thread that introduced this card.

The best signup link has always been to go through GCR so that you get $60 cash back to offset the $75 annual fee. I still see it in the WiKi, but it's not obvious: http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...aska-Airlines/. Looks alive and working still.

The URL with "src=DAAB57" looks like an affiliated partner's link, and it is now broken, you can't use that link. Mods needs to do some investigating here to see if someone was trying to grab referrals from those who did not know any better. So, those who signed up using the link with "src=DAAB57", wouldn't get the $60 GCR cash back.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
The "MBNA Alaska Airlines MasterCard" in the Wiki currently has an underlying link pointing to a URL with "src=DAAB57". I don't know who put that in there, but the link used to go to jerry305's post in this thread that introduced this card.

The best signup link has always been to go through GCR so that you get $60 cash back to offset the $75 annual fee. I still see it in the WiKi, but it's not obvious: http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...aska-Airlines/. Looks alive and working still.

The URL with "src=DAAB57" looks like an affiliated partner's link, and it is now broken, you can't use that link. Mods needs to do some investigating here to see if someone was trying to grab referrals from those who did not know any better. So, those who signed up using the link with "src=DAAB57", wouldn't get the $60 GCR cash back.
I've edited the link so both now take you to the best link at GCR and $60 cash back.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Question for everyone;

With the purchase protection insurance provided by cards, does the card have to still be active in order for this to be eligible?

ie) I have a SPG Amex which doubles the manufacturers original warranty. If I purchase a laptop with this card, but subsequently cancel the card, do I lose the insurance coverage?

I presume I would lose the coverage but thought it would be worth asking before digging through all the fine print...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:05 am
alc

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Question for everyone;

With the purchase protection insurance provided by cards, does the card have to still be active in order for this to be eligible?

ie) I have a SPG Amex which doubles the manufacturers original warranty. If I purchase a laptop with this card, but subsequently cancel the card, do I lose the insurance coverage?

I presume I would lose the coverage but thought it would be worth asking before digging through all the fine print...
yes, card need to be active in order to make insurance claim.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I did edit to add the $1k mininum spend on the Alaska card. I put through a penny on my terminal and wondered why no 25,000 points? re-read the t&c and the $1000 minimum spend was new. to me anyway.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Question for everyone;

Suggested reading:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ther-card.html
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I did edit to add the $1k mininum spend on the Alaska card. I put through a penny on my terminal and wondered why no 25,000 points? re-read the t&c and the $1000 minimum spend was new. to me anyway.
That took hold earlier this year, around April/May if I recall correctly. I squeezed in an application prior to the change and didn't need to spend the $1K to smash open the 25K pinata.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by imverge
I've edited the link so both now take you to the best link at GCR and $60 cash back.
There should be a link to the FT thread for discussing the MBNA Alaska Airlines MC, as well as to the GCR $60 cash back info page. I feel bad for people who may have signed up for the card without going through GCR.

Updated WiKi.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Looks like the Alaska card was removed from GCR. I saw it there a couple of days ago went to apply now and it's gone.

It's not great, but I might get the Amex Cobalt now and wait for the Alaska to come back on GCR.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
Looks like the Alaska card was removed from GCR. I saw it there a couple of days ago went to apply now and it's gone.
I'm staring at it. Still shows $60 cash back, 25K / $75 annual fee.
https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...aska-Airlines/
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:05 pm

It's not great, but I might get the Amex Cobalt now and wait for the Alaska to come back on GCR.
deja vu conversation twice in a week?

As I pointed out earlier and JJ pointed out below
GCR is still working
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:15 pm

Well, I'm baffled! It does not show on my pc. I tried chrome, FF and IE. I also tried a new browser without logging in - just in case it had something to do with my having had the card a couple of times before.

I'll wait and try when I'm at home later and see if that makes a difference.

The direct link gives me this:

MBNA Alaska Airlines World EliteŽ MastercardŽ Credit Card is not available.

Click here for other MBNA credit cards available at GCR
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:28 pm

Well, I'm baffled! It does not show on my pc. I tried chrome, FF and IE. I also tried a new browser without logging in - just in case it had something to do with my having had the card a couple of times before.

I'll wait and try when I'm at home later and see if that makes a difference.

The direct link gives me this:

MBNA Alaska Airlines World EliteŽ MastercardŽ Credit Card is not available.

Click here for other MBNA credit cards available at GCR
Are you tied into an IP address that is identified as within Quebec? Bill 791 and this card's requirement now for $1000 spending don't dance well together.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:30 pm

Ahhhh - yes! That must be it. I live in Ottawa and work in Quebec.

Mystery solved - thanks. I'll just apply when I'm at home later.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:31 pm

Ahhhh - yes! That must be it. I live in Ottawa and work in Quebec.

Mystery solved - thanks. I'll just apply when I'm at home later.
That was just a stab in the dark on my part, but hope it resolves your problem. Post an update later, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.