MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Questions for you more experienced / knowledgeable folks...

- Cancelled my Scotia Gold Amex a month ago. Is there an official policy or does anyone have any anectodal evidence re: what the window is before I can re-apply? Quite enjoyed that $250 bonus...

- Background: recently applied for and got an AMEX Biz Gold. Plan on cancelling my AMEX Personal Gold (and re-applying in 6mo or so). Also hold a TDAVI. Planned on cancelling that as well (again, to re-apply in 6 mo or so). That said, I would like to have a Visa as well so how long does the Chase Marriott Visa bar you from the card after a recent application?
Old May 30, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Questions for you more experienced / knowledgeable folks...

- Cancelled my Scotia Gold Amex a month ago. Is there an official policy or does anyone have any anectodal evidence re: what the window is before I can re-apply? Quite enjoyed that $250 bonus...

- Background: recently applied for and got an AMEX Biz Gold. Plan on cancelling my AMEX Personal Gold (and re-applying in 6mo or so). Also hold a TDAVI. Planned on cancelling that as well (again, to re-apply in 6 mo or so). That said, I would like to have a Visa as well so how long does the Chase Marriott Visa bar you from the card after a recent application?
Can't speak to the Scotia Gold Amex, but Chase is usually very stingy with churning. Wait at least 6 months, I'd say, though some churn-mongers have claimed just a few months after cancelling and reapply with success.

With signs that Chase may be leaving the Canadian scene, they may be getting even more stringent with new applications (eg., they are no longer offering the Chase Amazon.ca Visa card to new applicants, and there's some speculation that the Chase Marriott card may be winding down its days by this July). So on the one hand, Chase may be tough to churn, but on the other hand there may be a closing window on the Chase Marriott card. All speculation though, so wrap it up and give it a boot if you'd like!

There's no need to cancel the TDAVI before reapplying for another one, at least in my experience. Many people have opened multiple concurrent TDAVI cards, and not even waiting the prescribed 6 months (in their T&Cs) before reapplying. But, if you don't want to test those waters then consider doing a product switch to a no-fee TD card, and THEN reapplying...this should safe-guard you from having a cancelled card re-activating on a new application submitted within 3 months after closing it.

I can confirm that the CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa is still 15K and FYF if you snag a kiosk rep while airside at YYZ (as of earlier this month, May 2017). Allot about 20-30 minutes for this though, so if you have a quick connection to catch, don't bother.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I can confirm that the CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa is still 15K and FYF if you snag a kiosk rep while airside at YYZ (as of earlier this month, May 2017). Allot about 20-30 minutes for this though, so if you have a quick connection to catch, don't bother.
On this point, has anyone snagged this FYF offer in branch lately? I'm on the fence but I was wondering if the offer still stands in case I decide to actually do it.

As for the Scotia Amex, I tried applying recently and the website bounced my application. When I called in to ask, they told me to sign up in branch instead. Yeesh.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
On this point, has anyone snagged this FYF offer in branch lately? I'm on the fence but I was wondering if the offer still stands in case I decide to actually do it.

As for the Scotia Amex, I tried applying recently and the website bounced my application. When I called in to ask, they told me to sign up in branch instead. Yeesh.
H, let your fingers do the walking. Give CIBC a call and see if you can get it through a phone-in rep.

If not, THEN go to the bank. However, I think they only 'officially' have the FYF on their crappy (IMHO) Aventura cards. But, if you're an existing CIBC client (or a 'promising' new customer), they may be take money from their local branch funding that is allocated to keep you 'happy', by applying a manual credit to offset to the card's $120 annual fee. When people report that it's still FYF in-branch, I think this is what is happening behind the scene, so YMMV.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Oh right, I keep forgetting about the existing client factor. I swear I should write some of this stuff down!

I guess I'll just wait until I'm passing through YYZ with a few moments to kill and try my luck at one of the kiosks...
Old May 30, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Oh right, I keep forgetting about the existing client factor. I swear I should write some of this stuff down!

I guess I'll just wait until I'm passing through YYZ with a few moments to kill and try my luck at one of the kiosks...
Well, you don't need to be a valued existing client. With your incredibly well-padded wallet (full of CC's, I mean) I'm sure they'd love to have you as a new client as well! Give 'em a call. I'm sure you have a convincing voice!
Old May 30, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: aeroplan, delta, aa
td visa aeroplan...what is an affiliate

Got hubby the TD card in January, got the 15,000 sign up bonus but then he forgot about the card..... he only spent $400 on it in the first 3 months but he signed up through GCR....is he still eligible for the 10,000 after 3 months bonus? Please??
I read in an earlier post that 'affiliates' don't have to do the $1,000 spend....
Old May 30, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by taylor
Got hubby the TD card in January, got the 15,000 sign up bonus but then he forgot about the card..... he only spent $400 on it in the first 3 months but he signed up through GCR....is he still eligible for the 10,000 after 3 months bonus? Please??
I read in an earlier post that 'affiliates' don't have to do the $1,000 spend....
Your answer lies in the wiki section of the dedicated TD thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post26158193

Wiki needs updating, but the info there applies to his GCR application. He shouldn't need to spend $1K if he can confirm his application used the GCR source code. The bonus 10K will probably post in his fourth statement.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, KLM Flying Blue, Lifemiles
Does anybody have any experience with churning the Case Marriott card? I know T&C's say that sign-up bonuses are restricted to once a life-time but does this pan out in the end or have people been successful in getting more than one sign-up bonus through churning these cards?
Old May 31, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by pych
Does anybody have any experience with churning the Case Marriott card? I know T&C's say that sign-up bonuses are restricted to once a life-time but does this pan out in the end or have people been successful in getting more than one sign-up bonus through churning these cards?
I've only had one personally. But there are many reports in this thread about successful re-applications for this card. The biggest caveat with Chase is that you need to wait between applications longer than you normally would AND Chase is sensitive to recent application history. If it were me, I'd wait three months since my last app (of another card from another issuer) and at least 6 months (probably a year) since I last had this specific card.

There's also the issue of the free category 1-4 certificate. That's been pretty much confirmed as only for new applicants.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I've only had one personally. But there are many reports in this thread about successful re-applications for this card. The biggest caveat with Chase is that you need to wait between applications longer than you normally would AND Chase is sensitive to recent application history. If it were me, I'd wait three months since my last app (of another card from another issuer) and at least 6 months (probably a year) since I last had this specific card.

There's also the issue of the free category 1-4 certificate. That's been pretty much confirmed as only for new applicants.
GG, Chase stopped issuing the Cat 1-4 e-certficate last Fall-2016, it's been Do-Do'd. It's mentioned in the WiKi section of the dedicated Chase Marriott Visa thread, here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...a-card-74.html

See also my comments above in post 4022, about Chase churning and speculation on its presence in Canada after this summer.

JJJ
Old May 31, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: aeroplan, delta, aa
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Your answer lies in the wiki section of the dedicated TD thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post26158193

Wiki needs updating, but the info there applies to his GCR application. He shouldn't need to spend $1K if he can confirm his application used the GCR source code. The bonus 10K will probably post in his fourth statement.
Thanks. He already had his fourth statement and no points. I called them, went through three different people, all acting like they have never heard of GCR and didn't know what a tracking number was. Nevertheless, after 30 minutes, we got the points! It just shouldn't be that hard......
Old May 31, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by taylor
Thanks. He already had his fourth statement and no points. I called them, went through three different people, all acting like they have never heard of GCR and didn't know what a tracking number was. Nevertheless, after 30 minutes, we got the points! It just shouldn't be that hard......
The technical jargon they use is "application's source code", not the tracking number. If you mention that to them, they should be able to confirm it is or isn't GCR's. In any event, glad you got your points. Hopefully they posted the 10K manually, and then he will get another surprise 10K on his 5th statement.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:43 pm

just got my marriott card today , had it before , my last card had a rewards number on it , this card did not ,called up chase and gave them my rewards number and told them i get 50000 pts , they said i do, will see how it goes after a month or 2 if pts show up.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Allie Abby
just got my marriott card today , had it before , my last card had a rewards number on it , this card did not ,called up chase and gave them my rewards number and told them i get 50000 pts , they said i do, will see how it goes after a month or 2 if pts show up.
Keep monitoring your Marriott.com account to see if the 15 nights and Silver status (if you had NO status before) appear. If yes, then you'll know that they hooked in your MRP to your Visa card properly. Hopefully it's looking 'good' before the 11th of June, and then the points should properly go into your Marriott account by the 18th. Make sure you charge $1 onto it before the 11th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.