MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Avion -> AA goes from 1:1 to 10:7 starting in early May, max 500K Avion -> AA per year.
I guess the CAD->USD exchange rates were hurting them. To be fair, 10:7 is also for most of AMEX Canada's partners outside of AC and BA.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
I guess the CAD->USD exchange rates were hurting them. To be fair, 10:7 is also for most of AMEX Canada's partners outside of AC and BA.
I just did a MR--->Avios transfer this morning and I was wondering to myself about when they'd downgrade the transfer ratio in light of the flailing CAD$. Remember when we used to get regular bonuses? Now there's no bonuses and availability is harder to find. Who knows what's going to happen to cancellation policies now, too, now that the limelight has been thrust onto airline overbooking. Sigh...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
CIBC aeroplan infinity card+ first year free +15K

CIBC called me and offered Aventura card without fee for first year and I said I am only interested in aeroplan. They offered me Inifnity card first year free +15K. I am not sure whether it is available to all or select people they call.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by peacestar
CIBC called me and offered Aventura card without fee for first year and I said I am only interested in aeroplan. They offered me Inifnity card first year free +15K. I am not sure whether it is available to all or select people they call.
Sounds like they're just matching the TD offer
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
Avion -> AA goes from 1:1 to 10:7 starting in early May, max 500K Avion -> AA per year.
Thanks for the heads up. That sucks...but no surprise.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, Avion, Alaska
I had the SPG Amex two or three years ago (personal card not the business card). If I re-apply, would I receive the sign-up bonus again? While I understand that technically the answer is that the sign-up bonus is for new cardholders, I was wondering what people's real outcomes have been. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by NL709
I had the SPG Amex two or three years ago (personal card not the business card). If I re-apply, would I receive the sign-up bonus again? While I understand that technically the answer is that the sign-up bonus is for new cardholders, I was wondering what people's real outcomes have been. Thanks for your help.
Generally, the experience has been yes.
You may wish to apply for the Business card this time, since you haven't held that.

You'll find some discussion on this at a separate thread for Amex cards:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...8688&query=spg
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, Avion, Alaska
Originally Posted by jerry305
Generally, the experience has been yes.
You may wish to apply for the Business card this time, since you haven't held that.

You'll find some discussion on this at a separate thread for Amex cards:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...8688&query=spg
Thanks jerry305. I'm not a business owner so how could I apply for the Amex Business card? Don't they require that you own a company?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by NL709
Thanks jerry305. I'm not a business owner so how could I apply for the Amex Business card? Don't they require that you own a company?
I've sent you a PM.
Generally, in my experience, the requirements for what constitutes business income are not very defined.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:45 pm
alc

Just rec'd the letter from Scotia, the good old Sears MC that turn into the Momentum MC will no longer get "no FX" starting June 1st, 2017.

So, it is back to just Chase Marriott VISA and Chase Amazon VISA that are no FX while the Rogers MC that do charge 2.5% with a 4% cash back.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by alc
Just rec'd the letter from Scotia, the good old Sears MC that turn into the Momentum MC will no longer get "no FX" starting June 1st, 2017.

So, it is back to just Chase Marriott VISA and Chase Amazon VISA that are no FX while the Rogers MC that do charge 2.5% with a 4% cash back.
Does letter imply that everybody with the card gets the same treatment (June 1st) or is it staggered in implementation. I have not received the letter yet. I think I saw someone saying late last year about the conversion of their card.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by alc

It's worse than that, unfortunately. The Chase Amazon Visa is no longer available for new applicants as of this month.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:18 pm

I made the prediction on RFD but I'm going to guess the Marriott visa is gone as of August. The Amazon visa lasted exactly 5 years, and the Marriott 5 year anniversary is July 30 of this year
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:35 pm
alc

Originally Posted by SurlyJoe
It's worse than that, unfortunately. The Chase Amazon Visa is no longer available for new applicants as of this month.
oh, i didn't know that. damn, was going to apply it as my Marriott VISA is due to cancel in May.

Originally Posted by crimsona
I made the prediction on RFD but I'm going to guess the Marriott visa is gone as of August. The Amazon visa lasted exactly 5 years, and the Marriott 5 year anniversary is July 30 of this year
let's hope you prediction is wrong. but it seems Chase is closing down their operation in Canada, let's just hope someone will be picking up the Marriott brand.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by peacestar
They are not offering the Infinite aeroplan FYF to everyone.I asked them a few days ago and they said no but could offer me(available to all) the Infinite Adventura FYF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.