Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by MtlFire
I used my Florida timeshare as my address. Mailed the envelopes while in the US. Already got 48k in points for $49 in US stamps.
Did you use a Canadian MC for the 6 digits on the index cards? I was going to do it, but was afraid it wouldn't work without a card from a US institution.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by erwintok
Did you use a Canadian MC for the 6 digits on the index cards? I was going to do it, but was afraid it wouldn't work without a card from a US institution.
My understanding from a quick internet search was the the first 6 digits are basically the same on all IHG cards. Figured worst case scenario I spent 3h and 49$.

56k in points posted to my IHG account. ^
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
The C1 card is grandfathered, and you guys are getting enhancements for the following year? Lucky!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Damm it! MBNA declined my 3rd card due to excessive credit card applications last year. 12 isn't so bad is it?

That sucks.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:42 am

I have read reports (again) that MBNA is tightening up Alaska approvals due to people doing stupid things like applying for 3 cards in a week. Perhaps the way to go forwards is to keep at most 2 open, cancelling before reapplying? Marathon not a race after all...
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:20 am

I never even made it that far. It was the 12 card apps. Thinking back maybe she thought I had 12 cards open???
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
12 apps for MBNA cards or 12 apps total?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:52 am

mine just approved in Monday, my wife got wait for approval page, mine is 2nd time apply, my wife is 3rd time aply in the last 5 years, we all keep card for 9-10 mon then cancel it.

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Damm it! MBNA declined my 3rd card due to excessive credit card applications last year. 12 isn't so bad is it?

That sucks.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: *void
I never even made it that far. It was the 12 card apps. Thinking back maybe she thought I had 12 cards open???
I had 17 or 18 card apps total last year, but only 4 were MBNA, no issues. They did shutdown my older Alaska card without my consent, before approving my Jan application.

I know you're heavily Amex-centric. MBNA normally pulls Transunion, same with Amex (and RBC)...maybe they saw too many pulls on TU?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:54 am

anyone know if westjet CC can churn or not? if you cancel it will you lose $250 westjet dollars and companion pass?........if it can churn, can you combine 2 $250 westjet dollars?

besides BMO is no churn policy, is there any other Canada bank no churn? RBC?

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I had 17 or 18 card apps total last year, but only 4 were MBNA, no issues. They did shutdown my older Alaska card without my consent, before approving my Jan application.

I know you're heavily Amex-centric. MBNA normally pulls Transunion, same with Amex (and RBC)...maybe they saw too many pulls on TU?
Yes to Amex, I love them!!! Those BizGold cards are sweet

I only had 2 MBNA apps last year. I will wait a few months and try again.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by ecgz88
anyone know if westjet CC can churn or not? if you cancel it will you lose $250 westjet dollars and companion pass?........if it can churn, can you combine 2 $250 westjet dollars?

besides BMO is no churn policy, is there any other Canada bank no churn? RBC?

Thanks!
You'll certainly want to keep the card a minimum 6 months. Not sure how soon after that you can safely apply once more.
Westjet dollars go into your account, so yes you can combine them.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: *void
Yes to Amex, I love them!!! Those BizGold cards are sweet

I only had 2 MBNA apps last year. I will wait a few months and try again.
WOW! So you had (up to) 10 Amex apps recently?? Took me 3 years to break a baker's dozen! mikey, I am impressed!!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
National bank has a new promo:

https://www.nbc.ca/en/personal/credi...ews.html#world
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:13 pm

so it's like MBNA Alaska card, even I canceled can still keep the $250 westjet dollars and companion pass,right?

is it no churn?

Originally Posted by jerry305
You'll certainly want to keep the card a minimum 6 months. Not sure how soon after that you can safely apply once more.
Westjet dollars go into your account, so yes you can combine them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.