MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Bank of Montreal has upped the reward redemption rate on the BMO Rewards World Elite MasterCard. The rate is now 2%, up from 1.9%.

The standard offer is 15,000 points, which at 1.9%, was worth $285.

However, the 20,000 points bonus offer appears to still work. That'd be $400 in travel credit. Annual fee remains at $150.
That's a $250 gain instantly. I think this is one of the best cards out there now.

• Supplementary cards are now free.
• Priority Pass access to VIP airport lounges (4 visits per year).
• $70,000 income or $120,000 household income required.
• More at http://bmorewards.com
Thanks, did not know about this card until now

and there's the MBNA Alaska Air MC as well to sign up... oh boy
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Regarding the up to 9 supplementary Amex Gold cards with annual fee waived first year, can my wife and I both apply for those cards for the same people, i.e. our kids, parents, etc.? Has anyone had success with getting the 1000 MR points per card doing this with the same people getting multiple supplementary cards? Thx for your input!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Bank of Montreal has upped the reward redemption rate on the BMO Rewards World Elite MasterCard. The rate is now 2%, up from 1.9%.

The standard offer is 15,000 points, which at 1.9%, was worth $285.

However, the 20,000 points bonus offer appears to still work. That'd be $400 in travel credit. Annual fee remains at $150.
That's a $250 gain instantly. I think this is one of the best cards out there now.

• Supplementary cards are now free.
• Priority Pass access to VIP airport lounges (4 visits per year).
• $70,000 income or $120,000 household income required.
• More at http://bmorewards.com

BMO phone reps told me today that they're only offering the 15,000 point bonus. However, the 20,000 point bonus offer remains active on the BMO website.

EDIT: The link that gave a bonus of 20,000 old points, which would be worth 40,000 new points, or $400, was disabled August 31, 2013.
Click here for discussion of the bonus after September 1, 2013.

This promo will definitely end August 31, because that's the date that BMO converts to new points system, and doubles everyone's existing points balances. Even if the 20,000 were to continue, 20,000 then is worth much less than 20,000 before the end of August.

I don't 100% guarantee whether BMO will award the 20,000 without some prodding, but the offer's there, on their website. $400 credit on travel, $150 annual fee. Also, the $400 credit is $400 off against a larger purchase, which is a lot easier to use than Capital One's "any purchase up to $XXX" deal.

If you're looking for a good signup bonus, this is hard to beat.

Last edited by jerry305; Sep 3, 2013 at 9:21 am
Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

2500 Membership Rewards points

Book $250+ in hotels or car rentals.
Get 2500 Membership Rewards points.

Must book online with American Express Travel.
Booking must be made by September 30.

Details:
http://americanexpress.ca/travelbonus

Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: Enough
BMO phone reps told me today that they're only offering the 15,000 point bonus. However, the 20,000 point bonus offer remains active on the BMO website.

This promo will definitely end August 31, because that's the date that BMO converts to new points system, and doubles everyone's existing points balances. Even if the 20,000 were to continue, 20,000 then is worth much less than 20,000 before the end of August.

I don't 100% guarantee whether BMO will award the 20,000 without some prodding, but the offer's there, on their website. $400 credit on travel, $150 annual fee. Also, the $400 credit is $400 off against a larger purchase, which is a lot easier to use than Capital One's "any purchase up to $XXX" deal.

If you're looking for a good signup bonus, this is hard to beat.
I actually got the 15K card, found out about this bonus, then gave them a call. They added another 5K to my account, and were nice enough to deposit the 15K before the end of the billing period... maybe, and this is all hypothetical, another 15K could be automatically deposited with the bill, and maybe the account could be closed with a fee rebate cheque sent within 30 days of the fee posting, maybe totalling 625$ of free money. Again, this is ALL hypothetical
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by durberville
I actually got the 15K card, found out about this bonus, then gave them a call. They added another 5K to my account, and were nice enough to deposit the 15K before the end of the billing period... maybe, and this is all hypothetical, another 15K could be automatically deposited with the bill, and maybe the account could be closed with a fee rebate cheque sent within 30 days of the fee posting, maybe totalling 625$ of free money. Again, this is ALL hypothetical
I just feel it's not nice to do that, ha. But yes error in your favour haha!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

PointBreaks rooms for US$35 to US$67.50

There's a new batch of PointBreak hotel room specials from IHG / Holiday Inns.

PointBreaks are reward stays available for only 5,000 points. You can purchase 5,000 points for US $67.50 from the IHG website. (Higher quantities get slightly cheaper.)

Better yet, there is a way that IHG members who already have at least 5,000 points can buy 5,000 points for US $40, or buy 10,000 points for US $70.

Hotels in Canada:
ALBERTA
HOLIDAY INN HOTEL AND SUITES LLOYDMINSTER
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS GRANDE PRAIRIE

BRITISH COLUMBIA
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS AND SUITES VERNON

NOVA SCOTIA
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS HALIFAX-BEDFORD

ONTARIO
CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL HAMILTON HOTEL & CONF CENTER
HOLIDAY INN HOTEL AND SUITES OAKVILLE @ BRONTEEDIT: Oakville has no inventory left
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS AND SUITES KINCARDINE - DOWNTOWN

QUEBEC
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS AND SUITES SAINT - HYACINTHE

US & OVERSEAS:
See their website

Last edited by jerry305; Sep 7, 2013 at 11:03 am
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Toronto: Aeroplan point giveaway, Sep 4

Toronto only

Between 12pm and 1 pm local time on 2013/09/04, Aeroplan is giving away a trip every 5 minutes to "some of the most exciting destinations worldwide"

Register: on 2013/09/04, participants must register in-person at Yonge-Dundas Square starting at 11 am.

Aeroplan sent emails to certain customers. This is all I know.

Last edited by jerry305; Aug 29, 2013 at 8:33 am Reason: To delete the big ol' GIF. Don't need 2 of them.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Toronto only

Between 12pm and 1 pm local time on 2013/09/04, Aeroplan is giving away a trip every 5 minutes to "some of the most exciting destinations worldwide"

Register: on 2013/09/04, participants must register in-person at Yonge-Dundas Square starting at 11 am.

Aeroplan sent emails to certain customers. This is all I know.

This allows me to justify my continuing hatred against Toronto and Aeroplan/Air Canada. Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:35 am
Original Poster

IHG: The Big Win promotion

IHG / Holiday Inns' Priority Club has just launched their new promotion, which runs from September 01, 2013 to December 31, 2013.

• Earn bonus points for completing certain rewards.
• Road warriors can earn some very good bonuses here.

More at this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...promotion.html
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:59 pm

A tip for those in Ottawa (though it may well apply to those in Winnipeg and Vancouver): the Royal Canadian Mint often sells coins at face value, and allows credit cards, including AMEX (there were 20$ coins for 20$ recently, and 100$ for 100$ in June I believe). You can deposit these at the bank for face value. I've done probably over 5K on this, meeting a number of minimum spends
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:58 pm

A tip for those in Ottawa (though it may well apply to those in Winnipeg and Vancouver): the Royal Canadian Mint often sells coins at face value, and allows credit cards, including AMEX (there were 20$ coins for 20$ recently, and 100$ for 100$ in June I believe). You can deposit these at the bank for face value. I've done probably over 5K on this, meeting a number of minimum spends
I've always wondered what to do with those $20 coins I bought (3 only)..besides as souvenir
so banks really just take them at face value? I'm sure some new reps would have no clues what they are (monopoly coins??)

Good idea nonetheless...maybe next time when they have free shipping promo
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I've always wondered what to do with those $20 coins I bought (3 only)..besides as souvenir
so banks really just take them at face value? I'm sure some new reps would have no clues what they are (monopoly coins??)

Good idea nonetheless...maybe next time when they have free shipping promo
The first time I deposited them, it was a huge hassle. For awhile, the Mint would sell me 10* each coin in store (of the 20$ or 100$) per visit, so I was at the bank fairly often. I didn't have any problems after the first deposit
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:21 am
Original Poster

The first time I deposited them, it was a huge hassle. For awhile, the Mint would sell me 10* each coin in store (of the 20$ or 100$) per visit, so I was at the bank fairly often. I didn't have any problems after the first deposit
Thanks for this tip, durberville! I'll be sure to try this out in Winnipeg. If someone beats me to it, please post about it.

From the Mint's FAQ page:
The Mint has a process in place to reimburse financial institutions the face value of redeemed NCLT coins, once they have accepted them from a customer and returned them to the Mint. In the event a bank branch is unaware of this procedure, customers are advised to contact the Mint with the coordinates of the bank branch, which will take steps to inform the branch of the redemption process.
Yup, it sounds like some bank branches have been unsure of what to do with coins.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Is there a limit on the number of coins purchased?
I'm assuming you had to physically purchase them at the mint?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.