Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:39 pm

Computer Purchase/Best Buy

What would be the best way to maximize points and discounts when buying an Apple MacBook? I think I can get a student discount for $100 at Best Buy, and could purchase gift cards through TopCashBack-Cardpool....but then wouldn't I lose the purchase protection of buying directly with a credit card? What if I bought it partially with a credit card and partially with a best buy gift card? How would my flyertalk friends do it?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
You'd have to purchase fully on the credit card, like a Starwood or other Amex for example, to get the purchase protection or like a Citi card added price protection. Use the gift cards to save money only. Go through a online shopping portal to save money via cashback (Big Crumbs) or points / miles and still use the credit card. Remember that Best Buy will price match online prices too (like Amazon). I like buycheapr.com to price compare. I had a price match done while they were installing a new radio in my vehicle the other day. They used a seller on Amazon and not Amazon itself...I was told no to that by a worker bee there and the manager said as long as it was a new item with warranty. I see they have the MacBooks on sale right now.

Remember to get your Best Buy points as well.

Last edited by Frenchie Flyer; Jul 19, 2013 at 8:31 pm
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Apple Store Terms & Conditions: Apple Care Protection is not eligible. Not eligible on iMac.

Either this is no longer the case (as of July), or I got my first break from Cartera.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
That's great advice.

I use Upromise.com 5% cashback.
But you're welcome to choose any other site as well.

As long as you charge the entire purchase on your credit card, you'll be fine. If it's an expensive item, you'll be glad one day (knock on wood) that you used that Amex card.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:44 pm

Wouldn't you be better off purchasing it from a place like Macmall and not having to pay sales tax?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I recently bought a surface pro at BB via the united shopping portal using BB.com with store pickup (needed it that day). Received BB points too.

Sadly they don't price match online, so you probably need to go the giftcard route to get miles on the shopping portal or some other manufactured spend route.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Currently a Amex sync offer for Best Buy...check your offers on your cards at Amex to sync or Tweet: #amexbestbuy
$25 credit on $250.
Yes, you can sync multiple cards and do a split payment.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer
Currently a Amex sync offer for Best Buy...check your offers on your cards at Amex to sync or Tweet: #amexbestbuy
$25 credit on $250.
Yes, you can sync multiple cards and do a split payment.
For non-twitter users, check your offers on the Amex website. Many ppl will have the offer there.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:22 pm

mbna has a online mall that gives an extra 1% back for apple and others. just topped up our apple products.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Hi all,
I'm about to buy an upgraded MacBook Air and because of the upgrade it has to be ordered @ Apple.com (no Best Buy in this case)
I also want to use an Amex for the purchase, because of the extended warranty.

What are my best options thru a shopping/rebate portal, if any ?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:08 pm

Can one get points these days for the 2-year contract on the iPhone? Or are points only available just for the iPhone's purchase price.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Hi all,
I'm about to buy an upgraded MacBook Air and because of the upgrade it has to be ordered @ Apple.com (no Best Buy in this case)

have you ever considered going through an EPP program? (employee purchase) Many companies have those sort of plans where you buy directly from apple at a discount (~80 bucks I think for a macbook air) By the way, I dont believe Ive ever been checked for any form of "proof" buying like this.

You can google it.

You can then use your AMEX for the extended warranty.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Education rate + United portal + AMEX (warranty) with Apple Care

My UA miles posted in 2 weeks.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I bought a "custom build to order" from MacMall at a cheaper price than (Apple stoer educational discount + sales tax). They stock most configurations.

Looks like upromise rebates 5% from Macmall. Wish I had thought of that when I bought it!

My last Mac had a few problems and I used my Mastercard extended warranty to get a $320 check, so I wouldn't miss out on a year extra of warranty, it's like getting AppleCare for free!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:07 am

Hi all,

If you're not big on United Miles, Discover has 5% cash back and Ultimate Rewards nets you an extra 1x point, at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.