Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Need advice and miles strategy for international adoption travel

Need advice and miles strategy for international adoption travel

Old Jan 5, 13, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Second the motion about Golden Rule.
When we got three days notice to be there or else, we did not know about Golden Rule or any other agency specializing in short-notice travel. Our lawyer suggested: http://www.federaltravel.com/
Not the best web site in the world, but the man worked magic to get us there a day early.
And when we had to stay longer because of the inevitable bureaucratic mess (really, is this a way some countries increase revenue from visitors?), he waved his wand again to make changes with fees, well not waived, but tolerable.
Old Jan 5, 13, 11:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
My wife and I had to travel to Russia twice on very short notice to adopt our daughter. You may want to work with your adoption agency's recommended travel agent. For adoption our agency was able to get tickets that were reasonably priced that were fully refundable and able to change dates without a charge. Adoptions are the type of thing, where travel plans can change day to day.
Old Jan 6, 13, 9:30 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I have no experience on travel to Africa, but I have frequently used award miles to fly USA-Europe (which you will probably need to do as part of your trip). Saver award availability is best on UA (and partners), and better on AA than on DL. In addition, UA and AA permit one-way booking at half-price in miles, while DL charges the same number of miles OW and RT. The policies of UA and AA allows you to use one alliance for the flight to Africa and the other for the return. This may make both accumulation of sufficient miles and finding award availability easier.

In booking award travel, please remember that you will have a child with you on the return. I have no idea how this works out, but it's a factor you will need to investigate before obtaining tickets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: