Search

Q re buying Visa gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Q re buying Visa gift cards

Please forgive me for asking this. I know that if I searched long enough, I would find an answer. The problem for me is that there are so many threads and posts about gift cards that it would take me forever to find an answer to this question.

And that question is simply: what is the best way to buy a $1,000 Visa gift card for someone? By best I mean with regard to mileage -- my mileage. I have Chase cards for United and the Sapphire, as well as Ink.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:31 pm

I would go to Office Depot and buy it with my Ink card to get 5X the amount spent -- about 5,025 UR points, when you add in the fee. You get the points, which you can convert to United miles, while the person who you give the card to does the spending. If you bought with your United card, you would only get 1,005 miles.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:34 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I think you need to buy 2x $500 gift cards. But I agree about buying at an ofc supply store with a 5x card.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hawkandhoo
I would go to Office Depot and buy it with my Ink card to get 5X the amount spent -- about 5,025 UR points, when you add in the fee. You get the points, which you can convert to United miles, while the person who you give the card to does the spending. If you bought with your United card, you would only get 1,005 miles.
Whoa -- really? I haven't followed this closely, but I thought that whole opportunity ended with Vanilla, reload or something like that. Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dhuey
Whoa -- really? I haven't followed this closely, but I thought that whole opportunity ended with Vanilla, reload or something like that. Thanks!
Ink is 5x until $50k spent at office supply stores.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
The ability to buy VR cards at OD did vanish. However, you can still buy prepaid Visa or Amex type cards at OD with a CC.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deant
The ability to buy VR cards at OD did vanish. However, you can still buy prepaid Visa or Amex type cards at OD with a CC.
Thanks. So why was there so much disappointment here when VR cards disappeared from OD? Was that a better deal than the prepaid Visa/Amex cards?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Thanks. So why was there so much disappointment here when VR cards disappeared from OD? Was that a better deal than the prepaid Visa/Amex cards?
because the VR cards can be liquidated much easier than the other GC's.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because people could cash them out (and use for mortgage etc payments)
Regular cards are for actual spending and most don't spend much.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for giving me the remedial lesson, folks. This will end up being 4,000 extra miles for me.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

The question has been asked and answered. Thread closed because the topic is well covered in other threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.