Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to properly use points from AMEX Gold PR and Chase Sapphire PR...towards 1 ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to properly use points from AMEX Gold PR and Chase Sapphire PR...towards 1 ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Question How to properly use points from AMEX Gold PR and Chase Sapphire PR...towards 1 ticket

Hoping you all can help me understand how to best utilize points earned from both cards, towards one airline ticket.

I've always purchased airline tickets through AMEX travel by paying with points. After reading a bit on the forums, it seems many people transfer points to a frequent flyer program, instead.

Is the conversion the same?

If so, would it simply make sense to transfer points from AMEX and Chase to the same program, and redeem that way?

Sorry for the rudimentary question... just want to make sure I have this right.

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Where are you flying from/to? When? In order to use your method, you'd have to make sure you used an airline that both programs transfer to - such as British Airways.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:16 pm

Currently, I transfer the Chase UR points to United at a 1 for 1 ratio and Amex MR either to Delta at 1 for 1, or to SPG at 3 to 1 then on to American at 1 for 1.

Like the OP, I'm also open to suggestions to maximize my points usage.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
First off: do not buy Amex airline travel with points: it's almost aalways better to transfer the points to the airline program you want to use. Second, Amex MR program has a lot of airline partners, so t's impossible to answer if we don't know what you want. Third, boboqui, getting 1 AA miles for 3 MR points is nowhere nearly a good deal. For example, if you know the AA partners you want to fly on, you could get 1:1 for transfer to British or Cathay Pacific.

The best way to get practical advice is to share more about your travel plans.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
It is typically a better deal to transfer to airline partners, but which one solely depends on where you want to go. 3 MR to 1 AA is a horrible option. I do not see that 3:1 could ever be a good deal unless you absolutely had to have a few miles for an immediate redemption, but I would explore any other option before this.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
3 MR to 1 AA is a horrible option.
I agree. Would I get a 1 to 1 ratio if I transferred the MR points to Avios and redeemed for an AA flight?

Aren't Avios reward fees more that AA's?

What's the best way to get MR traded to AA points?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by boboqui
Would I get a 1 to 1 ratio if I transferred the MR points to Avios and redeemed for an AA flight?
Both Membership Rewards and Ultimate Rewards transfer 1:1 to BAEC, although Membership Rewards sometimes offers 30-50% bonuses on such transfers. There is no bonus today. Your intended use of the Avois points has no effect on the transfer ratio. BA points can be redeemed for travel on AS, AA or any OneWorld airline, but they cannot be transferred to any other program.

This varies by route and partner.

There is no sensible way to convert Membership Rewards or Ultimate Rewards to AAdvantage miles.

Last edited by mia; Oct 22, 2012 at 10:06 am
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by boboqui
I agree. Would I get a 1 to 1 ratio if I transferred the MR points to Avios and redeemed for an AA flight?

BA has a mileage based chart, so if you near an AA hub there are good options domestic short hauls and S. America flights do not have high surcharges. Amex has bonuses from 30-50% often, which can make it even better. It all depends on where you wanna go and from where.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
BA has a mileage based chart, so if you near an AA hub there are good options domestic short hauls and S. America flights do not have high surcharges. Amex has bonuses from 30-50% often, which can make it even better. It all depends on where you wanna go and from where.
I compared the same award flight on AA and Avios and got the same award price. However, the difference in points was 62.5%. GIG-NYC AA=20K Avios=32.5K

So it would only be worth to transfer MR to to Avios with at least 50% bonus.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I compared the same award flight on AA and Avios and got the same award price. However, the difference in points was 62.5%. GIG-NYC AA=20K Avios=32.5K"

It's not quite that simple. If you could find an award seat on AA's nonstop GIG-JFK flight, the cost is only 25K Avios year-round. AA will charge you 30K for the same flight during peak season; the 20K award is only offered during AA's off-peak season between North America and Brazil.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I compared the same award flight on AA and Avios and got the same award price. However, the difference in points was 62.5%. GIG-NYC AA=20K Avios=32.5K"

It's not quite that simple. If you could find an award seat on AA's nonstop GIG-JFK flight, the cost is only 25K Avios year-round. AA will charge you 30K for the same flight during peak season; the 20K award is only offered during AA's off-peak season between North America and Brazil.
good to know, thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Very intelligent OP...

Excellent question try transferring to united
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:26 pm

Good discussion.
Any means to use Amex points to fly on Ethihad ?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ftbargain
Any means to use Amex points to fly on Ethihad ?
Transfer to ANA:

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_co...ikeiair_1.html
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
Both Membership Rewards and Ultimate Rewards transfer 1:1 to BAEC, although Membership Rewards sometimes offers 30-50% bonuses on such transfers. There is no bonus today.
Any good way to track/alert when there is the transfer bonus? I only have a bit over 11k MR points that I figure I can transfer to Avios at a 50% bonus to get a decent SEA-SFO flight booking award, or use for adding on a 'free' stopover on another AA award ticket, at 10k less points/miles than booking Y on AA. Much better than just cashing in for a $100 gift card at Williams Sonoma.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.