New 50-60K HH Amex offers - till 10/31/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 50-60K HH Amex offers - till 10/31/12

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:44 pm

Hilton Surpass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I upgraded my Hilton Honors Visa to the surpass and got the $3K spend /50,000 points offer

I was contacted by Amex this week asking if I was happy with the card. Long story short she switched me back to the no fee amex and I can keep the bonus. I have a Hilton Honors card stating I am Gold until March 2014 but I have no idea if they will revoke that, as of today I received the no fee card and I'm still Gold.

I also received a sttaement credit for ~$40 for a pro rated refund on the Surpass annual fee...................one thing...........they NEVER charged me an annual fee while I held the surpass which was about 5 months so basically they gave me $40 bucks

Just thought I would share my story for people like me who get no more value out of the Surpass ( rarely stay at Hiltons) than the no fee card
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
This one is showing up on my amex account as having to pay a $75 annual fee..is this what everyone else is seeing? I already have a Hilton Honors amex express expiring 04/15
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by duranza
This one is showing up on my amex account as having to pay a $75 annual fee..is this what everyone else is seeing? I already have a Hilton Honors amex express expiring 04/15
Surpass has an annual fee but for some reason I was never charged it but was given a pro rated refund when I switched back to the no fee Amex
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
I have the final outcome of double dipping

I was rejected for the SURPASS signon bonus and finally got clarification from AMEX from a supervisor.

I'm pretty pissed off because I verified this crap with a CSR before doing it. Originally I was told that the SURPASS was a different product than the one I had and would thus qualify, but not so.

AMEX considers all hilton cards as one product, it doesn't matter what kind of hilton card it is.

In order to qualify for multiple hilton bonuses you need to have 12 months +1 day from your last application AND have the account closed for a minimum of 90 days.

you CAN NOT have ANY hilton AMEX open if you plan on double dipping.

However, if I had clicked this link to upgrade my fee-free to SURPASS, I would have gotten an additional 50k for $3k spend

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...Honors-Surpass

(if it doesn't show up, log into your amex account)

And they pulled some BS that they couldn't give me that because the departments are separate or whatever.

I asked if they would at least waive the annual fee and they said only if I cancelled the card.

So I basically wasted $3k in spend on this card to get nothing out of it
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I have the final outcome of double dipping

I was rejected for the SURPASS signon bonus and finally got clarification from AMEX from a supervisor.

I'm pretty pissed off because I verified this crap with a CSR before doing it. Originally I was told that the SURPASS was a different product than the one I had and would thus qualify, but not so.

AMEX considers all hilton cards as one product, it doesn't matter what kind of hilton card it is.

In order to qualify for multiple hilton bonuses you need to have 12 months +1 day from your last application AND have the account closed for a minimum of 90 days.

you CAN NOT have ANY hilton AMEX open if you plan on double dipping.

However, if I had clicked this link to upgrade my fee-free to SURPASS, I would have gotten an additional 50k for $3k spend

(if it doesn't show up, log into your amex account)

And they pulled some BS that they couldn't give me that because the departments are separate or whatever.

I asked if they would at least waive the annual fee and they said only if I cancelled the card.

So I basically wasted $3k in spend on this card to get nothing out of it
Sorry that it didn't work out for you stupidzbu, but thank you for clarifying the AMEX terms for all.

Terms: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors® Credit Card account within the last 90 days."

We now know the 1 year is from last application and 90 days is from date of closing. It's strange the word "had" means "applied" for the 12 months clause, but then it means "have open"

That to me means we could churn the Hilton HHonors no fee AMEX every year+few days by closing the card at the beginning of month 9 of opening the card.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:31 am

@ stupidzbu
did they convert you to gold?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
For those of you that received an upgrade offer for Surpass after having the AMEX no-fee card.........when did the upgrade offer appear (how soon after receiving your no-fee card)?

Also, when you get an upgrade offer, is it inside of your AMEX online account?

Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Travel22
For those of you that received an upgrade offer for Surpass after having the AMEX no-fee card.........when did the upgrade offer appear (how soon after receiving your no-fee card)?

Also, when you get an upgrade offer, is it inside of your AMEX online account?

Thanks.
Log into your amex online account, then click the link in post #49. The upgrade offer showed for me, even though I have not received anything by email/mail yet.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Log into your amex online account, then click the link in post #49. The upgrade offer showed for me, even though I have not received anything by email/mail yet.
Since the upgrade doesn't change your CC number, do anyone know if the upgrade is immediate or do we still need to wait for a new card to be received and activated before the spending start to be accounted for?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The OP and subject line should be changed, if this is the thread for the most up-to-date Hilton Amex offers. This link is for the 65k Hilton AmEx: https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...canexpress.com
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:26 pm

From stupidzbu's post, it appears as though I will not be able to get this bonus if I just got the Surpass in January. Is that correct?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
FYI

For those with the free standard card looking to upgrade to the SURPASS without a new hard pull:

Click on that link while signed into your AMEX account and an upgrade button will show up. The offer is for 50k after $3k in 90 days vs the 60k here, but you save a hard pull, which is great IMHO

I am still waiting on my SURPASS to arrive. It's been 3 weeks since I was approved and I called today. They said it was marked as received, but I guess it got lost in the mail?

So you got the 50k bonus for signing up for the regular hilton honors card and then when you signed into your account you saw an upgrade offer for 50k when you upgrade to the surpass card? How long did you have the first card before you got the upgrade offer?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Upgrademe731
From stupidzbu's post, it appears as though I will not be able to get this bonus if I just got the Surpass in January. Is that correct?
exactly ....

1) your hilton AMEX must be closed for 90 days

2) you have to wait 12 months to reapply.

So if you got a Surpass in Jan, then you need to close your account now and can qualify to reapply in Feb
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by dustenm
So you got the 50k bonus for signing up for the regular hilton honors card and then when you signed into your account you saw an upgrade offer for 50k when you upgrade to the surpass card? How long did you have the first card before you got the upgrade offer?
the upgrade offer is a standard link ... the link i posted.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
I received a targeted offer today for the HH Amex via snailmail. 60K after $750 spend in first 3 months. Nowhere on the 2 pages that were in the offer does it state that the bonus would not be valid for previous or current cardholders or previous recipients of HH bonus points from Amex.

I actually already have this card from my September apps (I got the 50K bonus then and have already met the spend and received the points). The offer specifies my HH points total as of 8/20/12 so may have been triggered by my last Hilton stay which was in July.

My original plan was to upgrade for the 60K bonus annual fee card. Now I'm wondering if I can double dip on the no fee card then go back for thirds on the upgrade to my original card... can you hold 2 of the same HH Amex cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.