Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Targeted: Citi AAdvantage Amazon & Back to School Promo

Old Aug 10, 12, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US

Just got an email.

Earn 9x AAdvantage Miles per $1 spent on eligible Amazon.com purchases (up to 2500 bonus miles).

Earn 2 AAdvantage bonus miles for $1 spent on eligible department store, electronics, office supply and apparel purchases (up to 2500 bonus miles)
Old Aug 10, 12, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80 View Post
Just got an email.

Earn 9x AAdvantage Miles per $1 spent on eligible Amazon.com purchases (up to 2500 bonus miles).

Earn 2 AAdvantage bonus miles for $1 spent on eligible department store, electronics, office supply and apparel purchases (up to 2500 bonus miles)
I received it for my AA Visa as well.

T&C for reference:

Dear ______________,
You're only one step away from what your CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ card has to offer:

10X American Airlines AAdvantageŽ miles on eligible purchases*
3X American Airlines AAdvantageŽ miles on eligible purchases*
Earn 9 AAdvantageŽ bonus miles per $1 spent on eligible Amazon.com purchases, up to 2,500 AAdvantageŽ bonus miles, through 9/30/2012.**

Earn 2 AAdvantageŽ bonus miles per $1 spent on eligible department store, electronics, office supply and apparel purchases, up to 2,500 AAdvantageŽ bonus miles, through 9/30/2012.**
This offer was accepted on 08/10/2012 at ___:___ PM EST

*In order to qualify for this offer, the account must be open and current at all times. If your account is closed for any reason, including if you convert to another card product, you may no longer be eligible for this offer.

You may receive more than one communication regarding this bonus offer with a reply-by date of 9/10/12; however, if you have already enrolled in this offer, no further action is required. AAdvantageŽ miles are only earned on eligible purchases. This promotion starts within 4 business days of when you enroll in this offer and will end on 9/30/12. Additional earnings associated with this program may overlap with other special offers (outside of these offers) in which you are currently enrolled. Eligible purchases exclude purchases made at warehouse clubs or discount stores, balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, items returned for credit, fees and interest charges. The Amazon.com offer is valid for purchases billed as Amazon.com transactions. Electronics purchases are transactions made at stand-alone merchants that sell, repair or lease a wide variety of electronic goods, including computer hardware. Office supply purchases are transactions made at merchants that sell a wide variety of office and school supplies and paper goods. Department store purchases are transactions made at large stand-alone merchants selling a general line of merchandise from departments that usually have separate checkout counters. Apparel purchases are transactions made at stand-alone merchants that sell clothing, furnishings and accessories geared toward a specific audience. Citi does not determine whether merchants appropriately identify the purchases (including online, catalog, mail order and telephone purchases), but Citi does reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Bonus miles awarded for each offer are subject to a maximum of 2,500 additional miles.

American Airlines reserves the right to change AAdvantageŽprogram rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers at any time without notice and to end the AdvantageŽprogram with six months notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the mileage awards or credits that you have accumulated. Members may not be able to obtain all offered awards at all times or use awards for all destinations or on all flights. AAdvantageŽ travel awards, mileage accrual and special offers are subject to government regulations. Unless specified, AAdvantageŽmiles earned through this promotion/offer do not count toward elite-status qualification or Million MilerSM status. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantageŽprogram, visit www.aa.com/aadvantage

AmericanAirlines, AAdvantage, AAdvantage with Scissor Eagle design, Scissor Eagle design and Million Miler are trademarks of American Airlines, Inc.

**The above offers are exclusive of each other and cannot be combined on Amazon.com purchases

AMAZON and the AMAZON logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
The Amazon.com logo is used by permission only. Citibank, N.A. will be solely responsible for all obligations in connection withthe offers described herein.

Citibank is not responsible for products and services offered by other companies.
Old Aug 10, 12, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Thanks for posting the T&C
Old Aug 10, 12, 5:58 pm

I wish I'd gotten this. Just checked my email, but they decided not to grace me with it. Which AA Visa do you guys have?
Old Aug 10, 12, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bttc View Post
I wish I'd gotten this. Just checked my email, but they decided not to grace me with it. Which AA Visa do you guys have?
I received it on my Aadvantage world elite MC.
Old Aug 10, 12, 9:21 pm

Received this too. I wonder if Amazon Payments are included. I'll probably try a small transaction to check if necessary.
Old Aug 10, 12, 10:33 pm

9x at Amazon? WOW! I'm jealous.

I got a different email:

Now you can earn AAdvantageŽ bonus miles on some of your favorite summer activities, including eligible movie theater, amusement park, aquarium/zoo and arena/stadium event purchases with your CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ card.

Enroll now to earn 3X AAdvantageŽ miles for every $1 you spend on eligible entertainment purchases, up to 2,500 AAdvantageŽ bonus miles, through 09/30/12.* That's 2 AAdvantageŽ bonus miles per $1 spent on eligible purchases!
Old Aug 10, 12, 10:40 pm

Programs: Airline Independent, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I received it on my Aadvantage world elite MC.
I got it on the Visa Sig Plat.

Two key T&C:
  • "Eligible purchases exclude purchases made at warehouse clubs or discount stores, balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, items returned for credit, fees and interest charges." I was wary for a while about eligible purchases, but that phrase defines eligible.
  • "This promotion starts within 4 business days of when you enroll in this offer"
Old Aug 10, 12, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver, HHonors & SPG Gold
For Amazon it is actually 10X = 1 regular + 9 Bonus

Max is 2500 Bonus Miles so you need to charge $278 (2500/9) to get the max points

My wife got it and I didn't. But just 2 months ago they had the 2 Bonus Miles (3X) miles on supermarket, gas, drugstore and dining which we both got.

First time I have seen Citi so aggressive (in my experience of course)

Just got an email.

Old Aug 11, 12, 6:52 am

data point: have both AA visa and amex but didn't receive the offer
Old Aug 11, 12, 7:19 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
aa visa sig plat. i received. couldn't believe it, actually.

FYI: haven't used mine (except for award fees for flights booked a week ago) since min spend requirement back around march/april

Last edited by mrredskin; Aug 11, 12 at 10:58 am
Old Aug 11, 12, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received two emails -- one for 3x on summer entertainment (movies, amusement parks, aquarium/zoo and arena/stadium events) up to 2,500 miles,
and the Amazon 10x/Back-to-school 3x.

I did the entertainment offer first, but even though there are different invitation numbers, when I tried to register for the Amazon/Back-to-school offer it said I'm already registered.

So I don't know if it's either one or the other or if I'm registered for both.
Old Aug 11, 12, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by andycww View Post
data point: have both AA visa and amex but didn't receive the offer

data point........DW got both offers for AA visa and amex, I got nada
Old Aug 11, 12, 8:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
No love here....
Old Aug 11, 12, 1:46 pm

Wow--got 10X Amazon and 5X on office supply, dept store, electronics, and clothing. Same 2,500 cap as everybody else. MY wife and I have also received five balance transfer promotions in the mail in the past week from Citi, so yeah, seems like they're cranking up the marketing machine.

EDIT: This was on a TYP card, not the AA card. Still, I'll take it.

Last edited by Smoove; Aug 11, 12 at 2:13 pm

Search this Thread