Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Targeted: Citi AAdvantage Amazon & Back to School Promo

Targeted: Citi AAdvantage Amazon & Back to School Promo

Old Aug 11, 12, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, SPG Plat50, HHonors Gold
I got it for my Visa Signature. I'm also curious about the "This promotion starts within 4 business days of when you enroll in this offer and will end on 09/30/12" line. Anyone know what this really means? We have to wait 4 business days of enrollment?
Old Aug 11, 12, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by Aspirant View Post
I got it for my Visa Signature. I'm also curious about the "This promotion starts within 4 business days of when you enroll in this offer and will end on 09/30/12" line. Anyone know what this really means? We have to wait 4 business days of enrollment?
Wait 4 business after the enrollment. So if you accepted the offer on 08/07/2012, you should use the card for the bonus miles on 08/12/2012
Old Aug 13, 12, 8:52 am

What is citi's normal stance on matching offers like this?
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:04 am

Citi SM

Was not targeted. Contacted Citibank via secure messaging, stating that I had came across an offer online offering 10 miles per dollar of spending at Amazon.com and quoting some of the offer details, and this is the response:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

This is not a Citibank offer, please contact Amazon.com for more information.

If there is any way we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us."

My feeling is that I got a clueless CSR. For targeted promotions, wouldn't they simply say that?
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
I have noticed lately that with me using my Visa Signature to the tune of $6k per month for 18 straight months and carrying a zero balance gets me not one single promotion. My wife who I got the same card for, used it to get minimum for the 75k and hasnt used it since, has gotten almost every offer.

Is this selective marketing by Citi to promote the card to those who seemingly dont use it much or what? I'm getting to the point that I may switch over to AMEX Gold so I can transfer into BA Avios instead. It's a little frustrating I get no love, yet seemingly a good customer.
Old Aug 13, 12, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Now you can earn AAdvantage® bonus miles on purchases with your Citi® / AAdvantage® card. Earn 10X AAdvantage® miles for every $1 you spend on eligible Amazon.com purchases, up to 2,500 AAdvantage® bonus miles, through 9/30/2012.* That's 9 AAdvantage® bonus miles per $1 spent on eligible purchases!

You can earn 3X AAdvantage® miles for every $1 you spend on eligible department store, electronics, office supply and apparel purchases, up to 2,500 AAdvantage® bonus miles, through 9/30/2012.* That's 2 AAdvantage® bonus miles per $1 spent on eligible purchases!

Enroll now for both offers.**

Plus, don't forget that you can:

• Get money back with Citi® Price Rewind. Simply register your purchases at citipricerewind.com. If a lower price of at least $25 is found within 30 days, you'll receive a refund for the difference, up to $250 per item.***

• Enjoy no mileage cap. With no limit to the number of miles you can earn, you can get to your next trip even faster.†

Go ahead and get that new computer, freshen up your closets and stock up on supplies for school or work. You'll earn AAdvantage® bonus miles on Amazon.com and back-to-school purchases now, and you'll continue to earn AAdvantage® miles on all other eligible purchases when you use your card.

* In order to qualify for this offer, the account must be open and current at all times. If your account is closed for any reason, including if you convert to another card product, you may no longer be eligible for this offer. You may receive more than one communication regarding this bonus offer with a reply by date of 09/10/12; however if you have already enrolled in this offer, no further action is required.

AAdvantage® miles are only earned on eligible purchases. This promotion starts within 4 business days of when you enroll in this offer and will end on 09/30/12. Additional earnings associated with this program may overlap with other special offers (outside of these offers) in which you are currently enrolled. Eligible purchases exclude purchases made at warehouse clubs or discount stores, balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, items returned for credit, fees and interest charges. The Amazon.com offer is valid for purchases billed as Amazon.com transactions. Electronics purchases are transactions made at stand-alone merchants that sell, repair or lease a wide variety of electronic goods, including computer hardware. Office supply purchases are transactions made at merchants that sell a wide variety of office and school supplies and paper goods. Department store purchases are transactions made at large stand-alone merchants selling a general line of merchandise from departments that usually have separate checkout counters. Apparel purchases are transactions made at stand-alone merchants that sell clothing, furnishings and accessories geared toward a specific audience. Citi does not determine whether merchants appropriately identify the purchases (including online, catalog, mail order and telephone purchases), but Citi does reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Bonus miles awarded for each offer are subject to a maximum of 2,500 additional miles.

** The above offers are exclusive of each other and cannot be combined on Amazon.com purchases.

*** Prices are tracked for 30 days from the original purchase date. In order to be eligible for a refund, the price difference must be at least $25. Price Rewind refunds are limited to $250 per item and $1,000 per calendar year. The entire purchase amount for the item must be made with your Citi card to be eligible for a refund. Additional limitations and exclusions apply. Please see the Description of Coverage at citipricerewind.com for program details and to learn what items are covered.

† American Airlines reserves the right to change AAdvantage® program rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers at any time without notice and to end the AAdvantage® program with six months notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the mileage awards or credits that you have accumulated. Members may not be able to obtain all offered awards at all times or use awards for all destinations or on all flights. AAdvantage® travel awards, mileage accrual and special offers are subject to government regulations. Unless specified, AAdvantage® miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count toward elite-status qualification or Million Miler℠ status. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage® program, visit aa.com/aadvantage

AmericanAirlines, AAdvantage, AAdvantage with Scissor Eagle design, Scissor Eagle design and Million Miler are trademarks of American Airlines, Inc.

AMAZON and the AMAZON logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
The Amazon.com logo is used by permission only. Citibank, N.A. will be solely responsible for all obligations in connection with the offers described herein.

Citibank is not responsible for products and services offered by other companies.
Old Aug 13, 12, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I seldom buy items from amazon.com, is there a way to buy GC and cash them out somehow?
Old Aug 13, 12, 3:48 pm

Programs: Southwest RR , AA
I have both Citi AA Visa Signature and Amex but no email

I really want this one as I buy stuff regularly from Amazon

Whom shud I contact to get this offer ? AA or Citi or Amazon
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:20 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
+1

Originally Posted by Smoove View Post
Wow--got 10X Amazon and 5X on office supply, dept store, electronics, and clothing. Same 2,500 cap as everybody else.

EDIT: This was on a TYP card, not the AA card. Still, I'll take it.
Old Aug 13, 12, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post
I have noticed lately that with me using my Visa Signature to the tune of $6k per month for 18 straight months and carrying a zero balance gets me not one single promotion. My wife who I got the same card for, used it to get minimum for the 75k and hasnt used it since, has gotten almost every offer.

Is this selective marketing by Citi to promote the card to those who seemingly dont use it much or what? I'm getting to the point that I may switch over to AMEX Gold so I can transfer into BA Avios instead. It's a little frustrating I get no love, yet seemingly a good customer.
It might just be dumb luck. I have not been targeted for a single promotion ever and I haven't used these cards in 9 months...
Old Aug 13, 12, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by Addicted69 View Post
I have both Citi AA Visa Signature and Amex but no email

I really want this one as I buy stuff regularly from Amazon

Whom shud I contact to get this offer ? AA or Citi or Amazon
It would be Citi, but as far as I've seen (and I work of the company), they can not fabricate an offer onto your account that isn't already there. And, if it was already there, you would have received an offer for it.

I tried internally and as consumer to try to get one of these offers, and all I have is the 3x on travel (which I'm not traveling by 9/30).
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:41 pm

Good timing for this offer. I'll need to register before I purchase a few items from Amazon. I wish the cap was a bit higher....
Old Aug 14, 12, 1:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I got the 3x on entertainment. I don't spend very much on entertainment. Just on travel, etc. I also got targeted a few weeks ago for gas, groceries, etc. I do not buy groceries--my wife does. I already get 5% cash back for using Penfed Visa. My wife got targeted for the travel categories so we try to use her card for those.
Old Aug 14, 12, 6:37 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by andycww View Post
data point: have both AA visa and amex but didn't receive the offer
I just got it the 13th by regular mail. Check your mailbox and don't throw out stuff from Citi right now.
Old Aug 14, 12, 8:11 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU View Post
I seldom buy items from amazon.com, is there a way to buy GC and cash them out somehow?
I was wondering the same thing. I think I will just buy an Amazon GC with my targeted card before the promo runs out and see what happens. Hopefully, I will get the promo miles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: