Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Earn up to 30,000 Starpoints [App must be APPROVED by 9.4.2012]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jk2
... My wife is a AU on my SPG card. If she apply for her own SPG card now, will AMEX deny her 30K bonus or not? I assume "no", since the original bonus was given to primary cardholder.
Correct, being an Authorized User is not relevant.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Still new to the game but growing everyday!
Adding my data point. I applied for the SPG Business on August 5 (a day before the 30,000 point promo was announced!) and was approved. A few days later a sent a Secure Message asking about a bump and was politely declined like everyone else. I called yesterday to ask. The CSR was very cheery. She said she couldn't apply the new promo but as a "one time exception" she cleared it with her supervisor to credit me 5,000 pts once I hit the $5,000 spend threshold. She gave me the direct number to her supervisor who I am supposed to call to get the credit at that point.

Definitely a backwards way of going about it but as long as I get my 5,000 pts I'll be a happy customer.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Is this still alive? It just shows the 10k with first purchase when I click the link in the first post, nothing about the next 20k.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by teCh0010
Is this still alive? It just shows the 10k with first purchase when I click the link in the first post, nothing about the next 20k.
It's still alive. Did you check in the footnotes for details?

Maybe the exact link in the first post isn't working anymore. Would be nice to know.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
I applied on-line for the personal SPG AMEX CC the day after the promo opened. I was referred to a telephone number to verify my information. All good after a 5-min same day chat. There was a hard pull on Experian; I found out c/o Citi IdentityMonitor, which I’ve come to like. CC took a while to arrive by mail, and the 2/5 credit posted before I received it. No probs—very smooth.

FYI--I cancelled the SPG AMEX CC ~18 months ago after carrying it for 13 months (read: never having paid an annual fee but having twice gotten 2/5 credit). Looks like “1 year” means 1 year.

Time to hit Costco…
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by teCh0010
Interesting. When I went through the link in the first post, after logging into my Amex account, I got a message saying that this offer was no longer available. I then applied through links at two different bloggers' sites and got error messages that "our systems are not responding."

I'm betting website glitches at this point since the offer has clearly been posted as running through 9/4, and no blogger has indicated that they have received any warning concerning a termination of the offer.

I'd try again in a few hours.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Interesting. When I went through the link in the first post, after logging into my Amex account, I got a message saying that this offer was no longer available.
Often when something like that happens, it's because you're logged into an existing Amex account (or still have leftover cookies). Part of the way they (poorly) target offers.

I just clicked through a referral link I sent myself earlier to test the offer and I can get to the application page fine, showing the full details. (Obviously not going to try to submit it, tho. But it seems the offer is still out there just fine.)
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:25 pm

Interesting. When I went through the link in the first post, after logging into my Amex account, I got a message saying that this offer was no longer available. I then applied through links at two different bloggers' sites and got error messages that "our systems are not responding."

I'm betting website glitches at this point since the offer has clearly been posted as running through 9/4, and no blogger has indicated that they have received any warning concerning a termination of the offer.

Try clearing cookies.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Often when something like that happens, it's because you're logged into an existing Amex account (or still have leftover cookies). Part of the way they (poorly) target offers.

I just clicked through a referral link I sent myself earlier to test the offer and I can get to the application page fine, showing the full details. (Obviously not going to try to submit it, tho. But it seems the offer is still out there just fine.)
Should have mentioned, the two attempts after logging into my account were done in private browsing sessions in Firefox. I wasn't attempting to apply but wanted to see if I could duplicate the reported problem. As I mentioned, I didn't think the offer was prematurely withdrawn. That's just not Amex's style.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

so i got both the spg biz and personal, when i log in to my account, i see referral bonus of 5k on personal page but nothing on biz page?

thanks
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:54 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 30,000 Starpoints

It's very much still a live offer...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
so i got both the spg biz and personal, when i log in to my account, i see referral bonus of 5k on personal page but nothing on biz page?

thanks
Try logging into your SPG account rather than your AmEx account. When I log in at SPG I see the option to refer for both personal and business cards, despite the fact that I have no business card.

Best of luck!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:53 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

I've gotten that error message the whole time using one browser, but not the other. I don't want to clear cookies right now, but assume that would likely solve the problem. Just try another computer/browser. It is still live, just quirky for some.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Using a private/incognito tab or window to open a link should have substantially the same effect as clearing cookies.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Using a private/incognito tab or window to open a link should have substantially the same effect as clearing cookies.
With the advantage that you don't have to remember to clear cookies when you close the private browsing session. I always use private browsing sessions now if I'm making an application I want to go through. Life's much easier for me that way--even if I have to remember information, such as my home address, telephone number, etc. when I complete an application, instead of relying on autofill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.