[EXPIRED] Earn up to 30,000 Starpoints [App must be APPROVED by 9.4.2012]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by superking
You've got to be kidding me...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:00 pm

Getting SPG bonus if already a cardholder

I have held my AMEX SPG card for over a year and it is still active. I kept it active because I have about 36K SPG points and I wanted to get up to 40K before getting rid of the card so I could reap 50K miles.

Is there any way I can get around this and convince them to give me the bonus? Would calling to cancel my card and then stating I will keep it under the condition that they give me the new bonus work? I would guess not, but just asking if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by protagonist
Is there any way I can get around this and convince them to give me the bonus? Would calling to cancel my card and then stating I will keep it under the condition that they give me the new bonus work? I would guess not, but just asking if anybody has any ideas.
No.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by protagonist
I have held my AMEX SPG card for over a year and it is still active. I kept it active because I have about 36K SPG points and I wanted to get up to 40K before getting rid of the card so I could reap 50K miles.

Thanks.
No. But you can apply for the other version of the card (personal or business) and get a bonus. Even if you don't meet the spend requirement, you'll get the 10K welcome bonus, which will get you to the 40K you want. Then cancel the old card. You can wait till about this time next year and cancel the new one right before the annual fee hits (this year's is waived).

And of course, referral offers for the new offer abound.... -------------v
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:14 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting them to expedite delivery? I've tried three different lines (800-297-3276, 800-528-4800, and 866-314-0237) and struck out each time. All said it was simply not possible to expedite. I'm leaving for a trip on Tuesday and would really like to use the card to get started on the spend, but it seems like it's not going to happen. Please post if you have had any success.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Has anyone had any luck getting them to expedite delivery? I've tried three different lines (800-297-3276, 800-528-4800, and 866-314-0237) and struck out each time. All said it was simply not possible to expedite. I'm leaving for a trip on Tuesday and would really like to use the card to get started on the spend, but it seems like it's not going to happen. Please post if you have had any success.

I have had this issue with AMEX before.

Did you call immediately after you applied?

Once they start the process of sending the card they don't like to stop it.

Sometimes they are willing to cancel the card for you and issue a new one that can be expedited.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
No. But you can apply for the other version of the card (personal or business) and get a bonus. Even if you don't meet the spend requirement, you'll get the 10K welcome bonus, which will get you to the 40K you want. Then cancel the old card. You can wait till about this time next year and cancel the new one right before the annual fee hits (this year's is waived).

And of course, referral offers for the new offer abound.... -------------v
Thanks! Excellent advice.

So does anybody want to refer me for the business card, and in exchange I will refer you for the personal card?

Please send me a pm (and explain the process).

Thanks.

Michael
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelabstract
I have had this issue with AMEX before.

Did you call immediately after you applied?

Once they start the process of sending the card they don't like to stop it.

Sometimes they are willing to cancel the card for you and issue a new one that can be expedited.
I didn't call immediately, but it was probably within an hour of submitting the app. I would think at that point it would still be "fresh" enough that they could expedite it. It's not a huge deal, just would've been nice to get a little bit of a head start on the spend.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: many
No problems getting expedited here. Only difference is that for the PRG and Plat they have overnighted, this one, they said no problem to expedite but expect in 2-3 days. Arrived two biz days after.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Originally had the personal card opened in July 2010 & cancelled in July 2011.

Applied through husbands referal and was instantly approved.

When should my hubby expect the 5k, as his annual fee should hit anytime (he opened his in Aug 2011)??
Will he still rec the bonus if he closes his card?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by pcharles
No problems getting expedited here. Only difference is that for the PRG and Plat they have overnighted, this one, they said no problem to expedite but expect in 2-3 days. Arrived two biz days after.
What number did you call, and how soon after app submittal/approval?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
What number did you call, and how soon after app submittal/approval?
Typically same day but within a couple of hours of the app. Just the standard amex customer service number. Might be 1-800-528-4800 Saying might because sometimes I just use the number off the back of one of the other cards
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Did anyone notice this?

I posted this question in the SPG Amex thread in the Starwood forum as well. I though more people might see it here, but if this is not allowed, mods, please delete in any one of the 2 threads.

I have both the personal and biz SPG cards and my mom doesn't have either one and would like to sign up for both with the current bonus offers, so I sent her a referral e-mail for both cards.

I noticed that #2 of the fine print on the bottom of the page where you put in the names and e-mail addresses of the people you would like to refer, is slightly different for the 2 cards.

For the personal card it states:

2. You are eligible to earn 5,000 Starpoints for each approval. Please allow 6–8 weeks for bonus points to post to your account after each referred prospect is approved for the Card. Due to the confidential nature of the credit approval process, you will not be notified of whether we approve or decline any application(s) from individual(s) you refer.

For the biz card it says:

2. You are eligible to receive 10,000 bonus miles for each approval. Referrals must be submitted by 8/28/12 and referred individual(s) must apply by 9/4/12 and be approved. Please allow 6-8 weeks for bonus miles to post to your account after each referred prospect is approved for the Card. Due to the confidential nature of the credit approval process, you will not be notified of whether we approve or decline any application(s) from individual(s) you refer. (Bolding mine)

If I took a screenshot of this and my referees were approved would I be able to get Starwood to give me 10k bonus points per approval?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I just found out the secret.
1. Sign in to your account.
2. Find the link IN THE OFFERS SECTION. If you don't see it scroll through the offers. If you still don't see it, REFRESH THE PAGE AND TRY AGAIN.

It won't work by just doing a search within the site.

I have the Business card. AMEX called me back after 2 days to help me solve the "you are not eligible" problem.^^^
Thanks, this finally worked for me. Unfortunately, the referral link it sends out, at least for the Biz card, is the default 25k offer (10k first purchase + 15k on $5k). So I can't really use it. Amex promised to credit me bonus points if I just tell them who I referred (the referee can use the standard sign up link), which is extremely nice.

So if anybody from here signed up using the standard link, please PM me.

And unless I'm missing something, this is not a spectacular deal or anything. It's just 5k more than the normal deal, right?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by friedablass
I posted this question in the SPG Amex thread in the Starwood forum as well. I though more people might see it here, but if this is not allowed, mods, please delete in any one of the 2 threads.

I have both the personal and biz SPG cards and my mom doesn't have either one and would like to sign up for both with the current bonus offers, so I sent her a referral e-mail for both cards.

I noticed that #2 of the fine print on the bottom of the page where you put in the names and e-mail addresses of the people you would like to refer, is slightly different for the 2 cards.

For the personal card it states:

2. You are eligible to earn 5,000 Starpoints for each approval. Please allow 6–8 weeks for bonus points to post to your account after each referred prospect is approved for the Card. Due to the confidential nature of the credit approval process, you will not be notified of whether we approve or decline any application(s) from individual(s) you refer.

For the biz card it says:

2. You are eligible to receive 10,000 bonus miles for each approval. Referrals must be submitted by 8/28/12 and referred individual(s) must apply by 9/4/12 and be approved. Please allow 6-8 weeks for bonus miles to post to your account after each referred prospect is approved for the Card. Due to the confidential nature of the credit approval process, you will not be notified of whether we approve or decline any application(s) from individual(s) you refer. (Bolding mine)

If I took a screenshot of this and my referees were approved would I be able to get Starwood to give me 10k bonus points per approval?
Interesting indeed! I have the same verbiage on the referral page for the business card as well, which I had not noticed before. I did refer someone, so we'll see what posts....

Good catch! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.