Wiki Posts
Search

Putting in your FF# for someone else's flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
Question Putting in your FF# for someone else's flights

Ethical qualms aside, is this legal? Or if not legal, then at the very least, possible to do without getting in trouble? A relative of mine is flying transcon tomorrow and asked me to do the online check-in; tried to get her to sign up for AS' mileage plan but she had no interest whatsoever in doing so (nor, for that matter, for putting in another airline's #). I'm still trying to convince her of the benefits of opening a new FF account, but if that fails, then I'd sure hate to see those miles go to waste. Perhaps someone's tried this out? Just curious. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:40 am

The miles wont credit unless the names match.

But you could always create an account in their name under your control *(which you could later pay to transfer the miles from into your account, or if they fly enough, book yourself a ticket from the account that you control)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SirJman
The miles wont credit unless the names match.

But you could always create an account in their name under your control *(which you could later pay to transfer the miles from into your account, or if they fly enough, book yourself a ticket from the account that you control)
Often the miles do credit even when names don't match.

Get caught deliberately trying to cheat and the account may be seized. And if there is clear fraudulent intent, the airlines can try to make a case out of such practice even beyond seizing the account miles/points.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Getting caught by the airline you only lose all your FF.

Getting caught by TSA ummmmm. We hear enough horror stories already.

I can see TSA salivating over catching this one now that you have made your intentions public.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
OK, thanks for responses. Clearly not worth it, then - certainly wouldn't want to risk account suspension/TSA - just curious to see if some did it or not.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:06 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller

I can see TSA salivating over catching this one now that you have made your intentions public.
Why would the TSA get involved in an attempt to defraud an airline loyalty program? This makes no sense. The most the TSA would be involved with is priority screening, and even then it's the airline that pays a private contractor to set up those extra lines. Everyone funnels into the same TSA screening pile at the end.

As long as you have the person's correct name, etc. on the ticket there is no reason for TSA to get involved. But obviously that makes it less likely the miles will be credited to your account because the names won't match. That matching happens within the airline's own computer systems, not the government's.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
i was wondering about this.... when a father and son have the same name.... that theoretically one can leave out the date-of-birth information, and have their father use their account/status. but i dont know what the implications are transatlantic.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller

This ought not be the business of the TSA .... nor is it generally even with the TSA PreCheck stupidity.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 19, 2012 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by diclemeg
i was wondering about this.... when a father and son have the same name.... that theoretically one can leave out the date-of-birth information, and have their father use their account/status. but i dont know what the implications are transatlantic.
Parent-child or cousin-cousin "sharing" -- intentional or otherwise -- does occur even when birthdate and gender are different .... including with regard to international flights.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: Several dozen
But, of course, all the "sheep" on Flyertalk seem to have longer and sharper teeth than your average sheep. They tend to run in packs, howl at the moon, and there is not a vegeterian amongst them.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Like TSA, DL SkyMiles management treats airline customers as if they are the enemy or sheep to be fleeced and it shows.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
To get back to the OP's point...

I recommend creating the new frequent flyer account for the person, using all the correct street address and whatnot, but your email address.

Don't plan to use the points yourself. It's not worth it, on so many levels.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Last year I had a situation like this, me and my wife were suppose to fly from SNA-SEA as a same-day MR so my wife can get AA Gold. Departure date came, she had an important meeting that day and couldn't fly with me. I checked both of us in . Waiting for the plane to depart, I thought why didn;t I used her boarding pass to get to the plane and she got the mile credited to her account. I decided not to do that. My theoretical question is had I did that, assuming the GA didn't really care and with our names, it's kind of hard to tell from male or female, would my wife get the miles right, because according to the boarding manifest, she was the one that flying and I was not.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Which airline is she flying? If you can bank to a program that allows family accounts (like she's flying AA or AS and you can bank to BA), sign her up for an account and tie it to your household account. Boom, miles for you. Don't have to worry about having to build up the account to a level for redemption either.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by gvol21
Ethical qualms aside, is this legal? Or if not legal, then at the very least, possible to do without getting in trouble? A relative of mine is flying transcon tomorrow and asked me to do the online check-in; tried to get her to sign up for AS' mileage plan but she had no interest whatsoever in doing so (nor, for that matter, for putting in another airline's #). I'm still trying to convince her of the benefits of opening a new FF account, but if that fails, then I'd sure hate to see those miles go to waste. Perhaps someone's tried this out? Just curious. Thanks!

If she told you no, then don't do it. It's her decision, not yours.

I doubt there is a law on the books about frequent flier miles. However, since airlines have to pass personal data like birth dates on to the TSA to match up with the do not fly lists, they can also track that data internally now. So someone mentioned an instance of two family members with the same name - like a Sr. and a Jr. Well they would have different birthdays. So I don't think it would work with an airline. Now for hotels, I bet two people with the same name could use the same account with no problems.

So no, you would not get thrown in jail. But the frequent flier program may kick you out. It is within their rights to do so.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:00 pm

Years ago, when I first got a frequent flyer account and did not understand the rules, I put my FFN on one of my brother's flights and got credit because we had similar names. I would not dare to do this today now that I know how things work so I personally, if I were you, I would take the advice already given and just create a new account with the passenger's permission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.