Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Results Are In: Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey

The Results Are In: Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey

Old Jun 30, 12, 11:54 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Bttc View Post
I'm curious why US Airways was so unsatisfactory--it seemed to have really low ratings, with 50% unsatisfied. Anybody know what the problem with it is?
I can't explain specific problems that respondents found with the US Airways program but the results are - as the article mentions - based on the actual experiences of those frequent flyers who took the survey.

Based on anecdotal evidence that I've seen in the various airline-specific forums here, I would say that it correlates with what I've seen people post here.

I was not surprised that Alaska and American were the best-liked programs, nor was I surprised that Delta was the rated the most unsatisfactory.

If you look at it from positioning, out of the 14 airlines that are in the chart (other airlines were not included as the response rate wasn't sufficient to form any conclusions), US Airways was 9th and the nr. 8 airline, Qantas, essentially got the same rating allowing for our margin of error.

So US Airways was in the middle group, not in the best, and not in the worst.

Hope this helps put this into perspective.
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:11 am

Programs: JE SUIS EXTRAORDINAIRE
Knew lufthansa was gonna take a beating & they did !! the time to pull up their socks has already passed . now is the time to pull up their pants !! Hope this is an eye opener to them !!
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:16 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Rather shocked to see VS absent from the table - can less than 8% of respondents have mentioned them?
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:21 am

So where are the results?

Don't see the results, or even a link to them....
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:24 am

I'm curious why US Airways was so unsatisfactory--it seemed to have really low ratings, with 50% unsatisfied. Anybody know what the problem with it is?
They raised the price on their 100% bonus miles promos!
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:25 am

Sorry, found it in the magazine....
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:32 am

Must be Singapore Airlines and / or Virgin. The latter (Virgin) are the most annoying. The website leads you to believe that the seats are available, takes you right through to completion and at the last minute suddenly announces that no seats are available. Calls to the Contact centre are met by useless and unhelpful staff who simply repeat that no seats are available. "But your website says there are". "oh, sometimes the website isn't updated properly" - absolutely pathetic. Singapore on the other hand never have BC seats ever
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold / Miles and Smiles Elite / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire / SPG Gold
Stunned that BA got 18% saying they were very satisfied!
I really must be living in a parallel universe.
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:54 am

Continental was the best until the United Merger. I have had nothing but problems with reservations, points, and telephone calls. I am getting ready to find another airline that is in my vicinity.
Old Jul 3, 12, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by jspira View Post
I can't explain specific problems that respondents found with the US Airways program but the results are - as the article mentions - based on the actual experiences of those frequent flyers who took the survey.

Based on anecdotal evidence that I've seen in the various airline-specific forums here, I would say that it correlates with what I've seen people post here.

I was not surprised that Alaska and American were the best-liked programs, nor was I surprised that Delta was the rated the most unsatisfactory.

If you look at it from positioning, out of the 14 airlines that are in the chart (other airlines were not included as the response rate wasn't sufficient to form any conclusions), US Airways was 9th and the nr. 8 airline, Qantas, essentially got the same rating allowing for our margin of error.

So US Airways was in the middle group, not in the best, and not in the worst.

Hope this helps put this into perspective.
I didn't look at it that way. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Jul 3, 12, 6:28 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by DickieT View Post
Must be Singapore Airlines and / or Virgin. The latter (Virgin) are the most annoying. The website leads you to believe that the seats are available, takes you right through to completion and at the last minute suddenly announces that no seats are available. Calls to the Contact centre are met by useless and unhelpful staff who simply repeat that no seats are available. "But your website says there are". "oh, sometimes the website isn't updated properly" - absolutely pathetic. Singapore on the other hand never have BC seats ever
....as the Delta flyers read your post, scratch their heads, and ask..."What's so unusual about that?"
Old Jul 3, 12, 6:29 am

I'm a little puzzled why the second article after these poll results is a piece extolling the Delta Skymiles credit card.
Old Jul 3, 12, 6:29 am

So does this mean Delta will see this and do something to make it better?

*holds breath*
*gablackburn dies of asphyxiation*
Old Jul 3, 12, 6:44 am

Programs: RA-Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, SPG Gold, CO Silver, DAL Silver, Avis P'sC, AAA-Plus
I find it hard to believe that 30% are very satisfied with the "new" united (continental onepass member since 1988, still have my original card), I have not been able to schedule a lower mileage award once with "the" new united....

I have not tried with Delta (skymiles member since 1991), but I have been upgrade significantly more times with Delta than with the "new" united, so I have that going for me :-)

side note, the article & survey results have hit a nerve(s) with us lurkers (i.,e posts < 200 and FT member > 1 yr, via my own highly scientific data reduction and evaluation procedures).... 16 of the 1st 29 posts fit in category... that's a significant commentary %... anyway back to lurking

Last edited by dahorns; Jul 3, 12 at 6:47 am Reason: my "QA/QC" was off
Old Jul 3, 12, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
USAirways' online booking tool only shows USAirways availability to ordinary members; and the USAirways call center reps are even way more of a toss-up in terms of (in)ability to book mileage tickets than most other major US airlines' reps.

If someone does their own research and plays the USAirways phone call lottery game, it can either mean extraordinary satisfaction (if pushing the limits) or extraordinary dissatisfaction depending on the nature of the call center rep reached.

I am disappointed at how awful so many major airline reps are when it comes to trying to book a mileage ticket -- and I even am better positioned than the average customer to conduct my own searches using various tools.

AA and AS reps really work with me far more reliably and consistently than most of the other airlines' reps when it comes to the (attempted) use of miles for tickets, while DL reps too often default to just being a soundbot for whatever the computer spits out at first.

My satisfaction with UA's program is plummeting too, while -- ironically -- my satisfaction with BA's program has sort of risen or at least not fallen as much as I expected it would given the changes from BAEC miles to Avios points. No program has fallen further in the US than DL's, but in various ways all of the US airline industry monkeys are taking some sort of dive to remove the pearls from the FF programs in terms of the value customers get from miles used for mileage tickets.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 3, 12 at 6:56 am

Search this Thread